Auras are WAY overpowered: Remove reservation, cap them like totems and save blood magic!

"
Malone wrote:
"
Thalandor wrote:
+1 to OP

Auras should be a nice little boost, not the cornerstone of any successful build.

And really, they're more like self-buffs than auras right now... The word "aura" implies you're passing on a buff to your allies, and sure your allies benefit, but most of the time they already have their own version of the same aura(s) important for their build, either that or your aura does nothing worthwhile for them.

Then there's the whole mess of how auras dictate resource management. Blood magic, mana leech and clarity, which in my opinion should be solutions only on the most mana intensive setups, not something you have to use for sure as soon as you're on 4L+ because most of your mana pool is reserved...

Also I think auras mess up a lot of the game design and reduce build options. A few examples concerning late/end game:

-Grace is a must have for most evader and armour builds unless you like running around with 30% or so damage mitigation. Why can't my gear be enough? Because my chest doesn't have 2k armour and my shield doesn't have 1.5k?

-For pure ele attackers, wrath and anger is where your main base damage is going to come from. Whatever flat damage you have on gear, that's nice but it's secondary, only a small fraction of your auras' damage. Why can't gear be the main source of base damage for pure ele build?

-Mana regen. Any %mana regen nodes you pick from the tree is poo... until you run Clarity. Then holy cow they're strong! Why does good mana regen needs to go through Clarity? (ya there's EB too but this is about auras).

The point is that many aspects of the game mechanics are totally designed around using specific aura(s) for success. IMHO this has negative repercussions on build diversity.

finally a good post

The whole reason for this thread existing. Increase build diversity! +1
"
Thalandor wrote:
And really, they're more like self-buffs than auras right now... The word "aura" implies you're passing on a buff to your allies, and sure your allies benefit, but most of the time they already have their own version of the same aura(s) important for their build, either that or your aura does nothing worthwhile for them.

You know, I also raised that point before, and suggested they indeed be remade into 'buffs', and we also get a buff-specific support gem 'aura' which would extend the effect onto allies and gain radius and efficiency by levelling the gem, from something like '30 units radius, 50% less aura effect' to '50 units radius, 30% less effect' at max level (aura giving base radius instead of percentage would also make aura radius nodes useful).

So yes, you sacrifice aura effectiveness in order to affect allies. In the unlikely case that auras indeed become hard-limited it would be a very effective way to balance solo vs party play.

And the notables that extend aura limit could be made to provide an extra aura only if you don't have any other such passives. For instance, if you could use two auras from the get-go three such keystones would cover the board well, one in each major stat area let's call them 'trinity of might, magic and guile'. So, if you take 'trinity of might' it would say 'grants 1% increased aura effect per 20 points of strength, if you have no other trinity passives you also get an extra aura'. The bonus would be nice but not worth chasing around to get all three, you're unlikely to have all stats in very high numbers.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jul 20, 2014, 5:45:40 AM
+1 for the idea, auras really need a change.
i DONT like "only one aura" and 1 or 2 passives for additional auras

how about "each additional aura cost x-times more" to make easy access to 1 or 2 auras but hard to stack them
IGN: griefbringer, im_pa, shiek_ah
I wish people would stop with suggestions that will kill other people's fun. No really. Why is every single suggestion always so self pleasuring? Allthewhile dumping on other people's needs?

"Yes, make it 1 aura, I do not care that many builds don't work without at least 2 or 3. As long as I get what I want, who cares about other people?!"
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
I wish people would stop with suggestions that will kill other people's fun. No really. Why is every single suggestion always so self pleasuring? Allthewhile dumping on other people's needs?

Now, that coin has the other side, if aura rework goes through (and I honestly don't think you got anything to fear, it's a paper dog's chance) those that wanted the change will be happy and those that didn't won't be, that's from a selfish and highly subjective point of view.
However, if we agree that current state of affairs hurts game balance (an opinion which devs share, and higher power is actually the objective view here), we could say those that don't want the change are ruining the game for everybody including themselves.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Allnamestaken wrote:

"Yes, make it 1 aura, I don't care that many builds don't work without at least 2 or 3. As long as I get what I want, who cares about other people?!"

You're confusing cause and effect, and are therefore confusing intentions. You just stated the problem.

Here.
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
"Yes, do something about auras, I really care that many builds don't work without at least 2 or 3, because they are a flawed design and force balance towards over-tuned content to compensate for their effect."

FTFY
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jul 20, 2014, 6:31:55 AM
"
Allnamestaken wrote:

"Yes, make it 1 aura, I do not care that many builds don't work without at least 2 or 3. As long as I get what I want, who cares about other people?!"

You fall into the catagory of whiners who wine for the sake of dine. Pretty much every single build would be fully functioning after this, its just you wont get to have those 4-5 extra auras that you dont really need but give you more.

Things like clarity, discipline, wrath, hatred or grace make up functionality of builds, and the builds that need those specific auras will still be able to get them.

Do you understand what you just read? Build will still have full functionality, it's just people who whine because they cant get everything at once that they don't even need for their build to function.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 20, 2014, 6:49:44 AM
I dont se any problem with the aura system as it is now other then some auras are to strong with aura effect nodes and needs some kind of nerf.

With the snapshot removed a full low life aura build will run about 5-6 auras and I really dont se how that is to much for a build that gets all the passiv nodes.

Also saying that most builds only really needs about 1-3 auras are so wrong, especially many ES builds.
IGN: eLdiLdoRadO
Last edited by takeme on Jul 20, 2014, 6:51:14 AM
lol snapshot removal is already a good nerf to aura stacking by itself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info