Auras are WAY overpowered: Remove reservation, cap them like totems and save blood magic!

And how is it not a meaningful choice?
I haven't posted suggestions myself, as I am at a slight loss as to what exactly can be done. I have been repeating your suggestion, as I feel it is appropriately good for the game, in hopes that others might start considering ideas themselves. I have two ideas I've been brewing, though may be technically complicated, that serve as examples of how aura behavior can be altered, as well as a keystone that may shuffle around resource priority for niche builds.
Supports
Aura Swap
MCM: 100%
Quality: 0.5% increased aura effect
  • This gem can only Support Aura Gems of level x or lower (x increases with support gem level)
  • x% aura effect (x scales by support gem level, <100% at level 1 to slightly >100% at level 20)
  • Supported Auras you cast manually gain a 100% chance to be replaced by un-cast Supported Auras when you take a total of x Damage (x increases with support gem level)
  • Replaced Auras share Reservation Costs. Any remaining difference in Reservation Costs must be paid

Trigger gem that supports auras, allowing the user to choose which supported auras to cast manually which are then replaced with un-cast supported auras after the damage threshold condition is triggered. Triggered auras try to share as much mana reservation as with aura's cast this way, but all reservation costs must be paid. Due to the wording, triggered support gems will not swap back after a second damage threshold is reached.
Example in use: Solo AR/ES user manually casts CE Discipline (with proposed change to CE), with an Aura Swap leveled to roughly the same damage threshold as their ES value, which then replaces Discipline with CE Determination once their ES pool is depleted. Must be manually reset in between encounters.

Reservation Recovery
MCM: 125%
Quality: 0.35% reduced reservation costs
  • Supported Auras recover x mana reservation per enemy slain (x is a flat value that increases with support gem level and scales with the relative level of slain enemies)
  • Maximum x% recoverable reservation cost (x is a percentage that increases with support gem level; possibly 100% at support gem level 21+)
  • Supported auras become x% more effective [over time] (x scales with [over time]; over time is a placeholder condition that could possibly mean a literal duration, or scaled with max % recoverable reservation)
  • Recovered reservation decays after [n] seconds out of combat (n does not scale; it is a placeholder variable)

An alternative to (proposed changed) Reduced Mana that does not reduce aura effect, but actually makes them more effective over time, albeit more difficult / action-oriented to use. The flat value of reservation recovery scales best with smaller mana pools, as each iteration of the flat value recovered is a greater percentage of the smaller actual reservation cost than with larger mana pools and larger reservation costs. This support gem allows characters with a small mana pool, typically only capable of supporting one or two auras, to support many more (possibly up to max sockets invested, depending upon how balance is approached), and it encourages active play to sustain. A note on balance: I feel this can be allowed to be incredibly powerful due to its potential to collapse.

Keystone
Martial Casting
Spells you cast gain a portion of added damage bonuses (at the spell's damage effectiveness).
You cannot deal damage indirectly.
Triggers, totems, traps and mines cannot deal damage, however hard cast spells gain portion of your added phys/ele damage from gear and from auras. This allows MC users to share resources normally only beneficial to attacks, to create true (non-cheese) weapon/spell hybrid characters.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Did not read everything in this topic, so I'm so very sorry (not) if this has already been thrown out there...

Make every aura reserve life. Something like 7% or 8% of max life in addition of mana.

Add "Removes Aura Life Reservation" to CI.

Add "Doubles/2.5s/Triples Aura Life Reservation" to any 'Chaos dmg does not bypass ES' item.

Any blood magic item and the gem will not get the extra % life reservation that mana auras have.

It's very simple at this point. How much of your survival are you willing to sacrifice in order to boost your skills.

...But of course no one's not going to be happy with this option either ;) This is the simplest, most logical solution to the problem at hand, yet you're gonna be all "OHHH DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY HP WITH AURAS, THIS NOT OK, BAD SUGGESTION", well guess what, changing auras is IMPOSSIBLE with without major changes at this point. And from what I read in this topic, mine seems to be the most straightforward suggestion.

I think you're all just being the same whiners that you so boldly call the "aura abusers". Go do your own builds without auras, WE (yes, I'm an aura user too) aren't stopping you.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
Nerf elemental auras.

Rework Elemental Hit Gem into support gem 180% Mana. Same stats adding as now.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info