Why isn't Cyclone scripted as "Mana/Second Movement Skill" ?

I love Cyclone. I know how to work around the desync. Its mostly

and moving as short as possible, which means having the cursor as near as possible to your toon and casting Cyclone a few times per second (which takes a dedicated skilltree layout to do if you dont want to die casting Cyclone via BM).

I am pretty sure cyclone is done how it is as a devotement to the "Whirlwind Barb" from D2. The mechanic is literally the same.

So posing my question from the OP, why is this outdated mechanic used as it is if it its that prone to desync.

As it is shown, a mana/sec skill is possible and allready in the game (Arctic Armor).

What I personally want to see is that Cyclone is used in the same way. Once you hold down the Cyclone Hotkey, your character starts spinning on his location while using X mana/ sec. If you now move your cursor to another location your char. runs there spinning, doing the same thing Cyclone is doing now live.

Of course Cyclone should be able to be supported by BM, which in comparison AA should never be.

This would make it much more fun to use, to an extend combat desync and the manacost can be adjusted to the new use.

Any thoughts?
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.
Last edited by Vincendra on Jul 17, 2014, 7:21:30 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Sounds good on paper to me, but I feel like it could be broken somehow, Not that much of a theorycrafter though, i'll let one of them tell us how to break this idea.
Cyclone is broken.
"
chromafunk wrote:
Cyclone is broken.

Cyclone works just fine. This isn't a walk-through-walls skill, and people attempting to use it as such (where mobs are the walls) will be subject to potential desync, just as someone trying to sprint through several packs of mobs without killing them risks desync.

Paying attention to the monsters you are trying to move through and making sure you have actually killed them before trying to move again will cut out most of the desync.

Occasionally pausing, and using a non-movement attack skill helps, throwing something like multi-strike on top is like a clown trying to swim, fly and ride a bicycle at the same time, and then when the clown crashes blaming the bicycle.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
I like the mana degen idea, though being able to move around freely while holding cyclone down seems like it would make desynch worse if anything. The game would have to keep track of a ton of different directions instead of just a straight line.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
im being successful with Cast on Melee Kill Cyclone Triple Arc is so mother**king awesome
dunno if is viable lategame yet
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
I like the mana degen idea, though being able to move around freely while holding cyclone down seems like it would make desynch worse if anything. The game would have to keep track of a ton of different directions instead of just a straight line.

What i mean is that Cyclone is just a Movement command while you have a AOE aura of hitting in the cyclone range X times where X is attacks / second.

This is even possible now, but instead of drawing a long line moving from A to Z you put the cursor right in front of your char., just as much that you cast a cylcone. Instead of going from A to Z directly with one cast, you do X casts with each stopping one step infront of you. You dont Desync much, you can control directions much better but you pay a billion manacost for that.

Last edited by Vincendra on Jul 17, 2014, 9:34:42 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
chromafunk wrote:
Cyclone is broken.

Cyclone works just fine. This isn't a walk-through-walls skill, and people attempting to use it as such (where mobs are the walls) will be subject to potential desync, just as someone trying to sprint through several packs of mobs without killing them risks desync.

Paying attention to the monsters you are trying to move through and making sure you have actually killed them before trying to move again will cut out most of the desync.

Occasionally pausing, and using a non-movement attack skill helps, throwing something like multi-strike on top is like a clown trying to swim, fly and ride a bicycle at the same time, and then when the clown crashes blaming the bicycle.

Its actually a really awesome and fairly desync free skill if you dont move through enemies but on the side, as cyclone has aoe anyways you hit lots of stuff with it by moving around packs.
"

Its actually a really awesome and fairly desync free skill if you dont move through enemies but on the side, as cyclone has aoe anyways you hit lots of stuff with it by moving around packs.

True. But it more or less "forces" you to take all increased AOE nodes, use inc.Aoe support gem and have a q 20 cyclone. And you better get the +2 Weapon range in the duelist area too...

"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
chromafunk wrote:
Cyclone is broken.

No it doesn't work fine, the skill is broken when used in this desync fest of a game. Saying a skill works fine then saying you can't use it near walls, you need to pause and use a non movement skill etc etc.. All of this just to use a skill lmao, and you say it's fine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info