(Helping GGG in) Creating a unique item: a breakdown of the breakdown

"
You see, I was thinking about making Unleashed also about burn damage -- but when I saw Atziri, I knew that was a stupid idea.

Burn builds still exist. Atziri is a mere sidequest that gets irrelevant unless you plan to farm her 80+ times. Many of my builds avoid her and I haven't even bothered to attempt with them. Some of my other characters can do her without much effort.

She should not dissuade you from making a burn focused unique. Burn builds are still very popular regardless of Atziri.
Last edited by kasub on Jul 14, 2014, 4:20:56 PM
"
Poutsos wrote:
Is actually one of the monsters that we ve been slaying so long desgined by you?

No, Charan's monster is not yet in the game.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
"
Come up with your idea based on what you'd like to see in the game, what you feel might improve the game.

-- Be super mindful of your base item.

I concur.
An excellent post Charan, thank you.

Spoiler
And for the comment. You were first yet again.
Very good and interesting read, I thank you for that. I had no idea what it was like to design your own unique item.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Good read. Thanks for that, Charan.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
that is a very insightful read.

I can't tell if my item was over/under designed/tested, but I did enjoy the process of making a unique. The item that it produced was way too niche and underpowered when it came into the current meta though. I can't really find any fault in "one-shotting Act bosses sometimes", but I just assumed they know what they were doing.

"
Finally, don't be patient

This one, I realized it towards the end.
I need more purple titles
That was a vary good read. I had ideas for a couple of uniques, but after reading this, I'll probably never throw that much into the game.

There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
[EDIT]

Of course I am thankful for people like you Charan who generously donate to a good cause and a good company!

EDIT 1: So, I actually read the whole thing and agree with what you said Charan. As a result, I retract my post from earlier.
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
Last edited by Catchafire2000 on Jul 14, 2014, 6:52:31 PM
"
Ocylix wrote:

"
Finally, don't be patient

This one, I realized it towards the end.

Sometimes, like in my case, there's no choice... I've exchanged with my assigned designer just a few e-mails since December last year. Part of it is due to me submitting ideas that are subsequently shot down, but by now the pace has slowed down so much that writing a reminder e-mail is weighing down on my conscience. It's understandable that they are swamped with work, but the design process seems extremely ad-hoc to me. I wouldn't be surprised if designers considered the supporter Uniques as some personal PoE side-project rather than consolidating them at some central repository where they are freely discussed.

Hopefully the six-month schedule for post-1.2.0 expansions will alleviate this somewhat.

EDIT: By an impressive coincidence, I received another e-mail exactly two minutes after this post! :)
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
Last edited by ephetat on Jul 14, 2014, 7:23:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info