(Helping GGG in) Creating a unique item: a breakdown of the breakdown

I have to say I find your experience the exception, Hrishi, and I was unashamedly jealous that your work was being 'immortalised' as a keystone! It's right up there with Zahndethus' and spawning the 'blind' support.

But you're describing your first experience. I described mine, and it was no less congenial and effusive and crazy and awesome.

I'd actually be interested in hearing from second and third timers (that's your cue, Z...)...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:
I have to say I find your experience the exception, Hrishi, and I was unashamedly jealous that your work was being 'immortalised' as a keystone! It's right up there with Zahndethus' and spawning the 'blind' support.

But you're describing your first experience. I described mine, and it was no less congenial and effusive and crazy and awesome.

I'd actually be interested in hearing from second and third timers (that's your cue, Z...)...

That's actually a very good point. I found your first unique experience very similar to mine. The reason I thought it was so was because it was quite a while back, way before open beta even came around. My entire process happened through the end of open beta, which is considerably "newer" than some of the supporters here!

I guess the point of this was to say that the great experience probably isn't related to how old the unique is? I know Rory was very backed up on work while mine was being designed. There have to be more factors than simply overwork, although I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was a factor.

And yes, I was absolutely stunned when I heard it was becoming a keystone. I might have been a little sad that it took away from the "uniqueness" of my unique, but I figured being able to impact the game like that was worth more than that.
"
Hrishi wrote:
Outside of this little nitpick, I was extremely happy with the end result. I'd like to think the community has enjoyed using both my unique and the keystone. Indeed, I have seen more than a few builds utilize one or the other.

You might be pleased to know that someone in our guild literally worships your unique.
My item was awesome, I couldn't possibly be happier with how it all turned out. Yes, it took a while, but totally worth it <3
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
My item was awesome, I couldn't possibly be happier with how it all turned out. Yes, it took a while, but totally worth it <3

I disagree, but not because it's any fault of yours. I find the fishing thing one of the most overplayed gags I've ever encountered. It also bothers me because other joke items have been rejected because they'd present a 'negative' experience for players, especially those not 'in' on the joke. The hubris involved in making a fishing rod with fishing stats in a game with no fishing is not insignificant -- it assumes everyone knows the joke. Maybe they do, but that would also indicate that the forum-using populace is a much larger percentage than GGG would have us believe.

If only SotS had come during closed beta.

Oh, the flavour text is brilliant.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 25, 2014, 2:31:12 AM
"
Charan wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

I disagree, but not because it's any fault of yours. I find the fishing thing one of the most overplayed gags I've ever encountered. It also bothers me because other joke items have been rejected because they'd present a 'negative' experience for players, especially those not 'in' on the joke. The hubris involved in making a fishing rod with fishing stats in a game with no fishing is not insignificant -- it assumes everyone knows the joke. Maybe they do, but that would also indicate that the forum-using populace is a much larger percentage than GGG would have us believe.

Fishing is the new cow level. Deal with it.

PS: I can't avoid to feel like a douche by writing that, ._.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Jul 25, 2014, 2:41:44 AM
Yeah, I was thinking 'cow level' the whole time. Diablo 1 never had one; D2 couldn't avoid it.

So sure, I expect fishing in PoE2.

More importantly, I expect PoE2.

And here's hoping fishing in PoE2 doesn't look like this:

Image courtesy of Dark Boobs Online

"
Charan wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

Charan, I know you don't believe me when I say this, but I'm going to say it again anyway in case anyone gets the wrong idea from reading your post:

SotS is NOT my item. I didn't create it. I think it's absolutely brilliant, but I didn't come up with it. Seriously. I swear. I can't say I had nothing to do with it, but I didn't design it and it's not "my" item.
I'm totally happy to believe that. I've never seen proof either way, but with the...odd impetus you have to post about fishing pretty much left and right, it was merely an assumption. I can't find which item you did do, so...I suppose that puts us back to square one regarding your contentment of how it all turned out.

"
Charan wrote:
I'm totally happy to believe that. I've never seen proof either way, but with the...odd impetus you have to post about fishing pretty much left and right, it was merely an assumption. I can't find which item you did do, so...I suppose that puts us back to square one regarding your contentment of how it all turned out.

I can't say what my item was, but I can say this much: I was probably more surprised when SotS was added to the game than you were. My first request was indeed to design a unique fishing rod, and I was categorically told that I wouldn't be allowed, so we did something else instead.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info