Linking lottery madness. People really participate in these?

"
Xavderion wrote:
Greed. People think they can win 10 ex with 1 fusing, so they turn their brain off and participate. A lot of people are also bad at maths :D

I hear this same argument all the time about real life lotteries and honestly, I think it's a really stupid one. Most people participating in a lottery will know perfectly well that on average, they will lose by participating in it. Some of them may well be perfectly capable of calculating the exact odds as well. Being "bad at math" has nothing to do with it.

Even if you know the math perfectly well, it may be entirely rational to participate in one, so long as you do so responsibly. Consider a megabucks drawing in real life. If you buy a few tickets and lose, maybe you're out $5. Big deal. In the long run, many people will barely notice the difference. On the extremely small chance that you do win the jackpot though, your life is completely changed. Even if you don't win, some people might enjoy just having the chance to dream, "What if..." for a couple days. And I wouldn't call that "greed" either. Similarly, a fusing here or there won't make much difference for some people, but suddenly getting 20ex certainly will.

Not to mention that many rl lotteries will be done to support some form of charity, so even if you do lose, you know the money is at least going to a good cause(this doesn't apply to in-game ones of course).
Never been part of those lotteries and ill never understand why others do.. waste of currency to even try.
"
Hodari wrote:
Similarly, a fusing here or there won't make much difference for some people, but suddenly getting 20ex certainly will.

My thread is about how people don't need to do these lotteries because they can do it themselves and it will be safer and potentially more profitable.
Standard Forever
"
Hodari wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
Greed. People think they can win 10 ex with 1 fusing, so they turn their brain off and participate. A lot of people are also bad at maths :D

I hear this same argument all the time about real life lotteries and honestly, I think it's a really stupid one. Most people participating in a lottery will know perfectly well that on average, they will lose by participating in it. Some of them may well be perfectly capable of calculating the exact odds as well. Being "bad at math" has nothing to do with it.

Even if you know the math perfectly well, it may be entirely rational to participate in one, so long as you do so responsibly. Consider a megabucks drawing in real life. If you buy a few tickets and lose, maybe you're out $5. Big deal. In the long run, many people will barely notice the difference. On the extremely small chance that you do win the jackpot though, your life is completely changed. Even if you don't win, some people might enjoy just having the chance to dream, "What if..." for a couple days. And I wouldn't call that "greed" either. Similarly, a fusing here or there won't make much difference for some people, but suddenly getting 20ex certainly will.

Not to mention that many rl lotteries will be done to support some form of charity, so even if you do lose, you know the money is at least going to a good cause(this doesn't apply to in-game ones of course).

This is different to RL lotteries though. What OP says is that by participating in a linking lottery, you gimp yourself by playing the worse of two lotteries, the second lottery being you just trying to link your own stuff. It's always better to waste your fusings on your own gear than to participate in a linking lottery.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I used to only participate in a lottery like this if they were streaming live. That way you could watch exactly what they are doing and make sure they're not switching items and claiming the link failed. There is still a chance they might scam you by simply not paying you but at least there is other people watching to vouch that they didn't pay you.
Lotteries bunch up poor and naive people, who want to get something quick and painless. Just like real like lotteries.

If there will be no rule against it, people will try their "luck" - aka giving out their last valuable stuff for nothing (or for someone else gain). Don't be stupid - there is no such thing as easy gain.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
GooberM wrote:

You may need more or less Fusings to get a 6L too. At the beginning of Ambush, a guy did a lottery for his Voltaxic which took some 3500 fusings. He streamed the whole thing over a couple nights. He saved a ton of currency and some lucky guy got 20ex for his couple fusings. There was a big thread about it.

But that same guy probably has a 6 socket sitting in his stash

It isn't enough that he has a 6 socket sitting in his stash, it has to be of a good base too so that 6-linking it gives 20 exa in reward if he were to sell it.

Having a such 6 socket base sitting in stash is unlikely for lottery participators.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
a lottery is a lottery like one in real life, I do not wonder why players are participating.

I 6L-ed my ( leg ) Shav after 2200 fusing with a 8ex lottery, and both the winner and myself were very happy.
IGN TylordRampage
"
iamstryker wrote:
and if you get the 6L its worth far more than 10ex.

You can also spend far more than 10ex on fuse and still not get a 6L.

The answer to the original question is; why people play lottery in RL?
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Why wouldnt they? Why does the government hold lotteries? Same thing different reasons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info