Linking lottery madness. People really participate in these?

"
iamstryker wrote:
"
morbo wrote:

You can also spend far more than 10ex on fuse and still not get a 6L.

What does that have to do with my OP? People winning these lotteries probably aren't putting in that many fusings. They put in a handful of what they have and hope to get lucky. But either way they will have a safer and more rewarding experience simply by trying to link something of their own.

Seriously?

There is no better option here, both are a complete waste of fuses. The only good option is trading, not participating in lotteries, not fusing yourself.

Yes, trying to "craft" in PoE, is exactly the same waste as giving your materials to some internet stranger. If you fuse yourself, you are scammed by the software, if you participate in a lottery you get scammed by humans :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"

Safer? Really? Burning around 2k or 3k in real cash compared to a few pixels in this game. That is safer? Let alone the minuscule chance the big jackpot is yours. Lotteries are about making a profit for whoever holds the lottery. At least in this game if you get someones item to hit 6L you might actually end up with a few ex or so while IRL you could play forever and still not win a damn dime.

Yes a real lottery is a lot safer. If you win you will certainly get your winnings. The people holding the lottery aren't going to take off running and ignore you, Nor can they do the equivalent of linking you a false item to trick you into thinking that you didn't win.

Your comment about "You might actually end up with a few ex" is exactly why I made this thread. You don't have to take that risk. You can easily try to link your own stuff and its completely safe instead of a third party that you don't know handling your hard earned currency.
Standard Forever
"
Galtrovan wrote:

If a 6-link item is 32 exalt, you have non 6-link version of the item, have only 20 exalt, are honest, and don't mind the hassle of running a lottery.... why would you not run the lottery?

I guess I wasn't clear in the OP I apologize. I am not talking about why people hold the lotteries. I am talking about why someone would participate in one.

"
Emil_kof wrote:
I'm not sure why the OP has trouble understanding this...the reward that players set up for their lottery is generally lower than the average cost of 6-Linking the item themselves...on average, the person creating the lottery profits much more than if he were to do it himself.

Do you people even read the thread at all? I am talking about why someone would PARTICIPATE in the lottery.

Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jul 8, 2014, 11:40:31 AM
"
Teplokot wrote:
Here how it goes:

Oh and if you have participated in a lottery just to help somebody to get their first 6L - give your fusings to me, i am in dire need of your help.

Fine, since you mentioned such behavior as impossible things.

Just tell me you are in Sc(zero fusing , for last participating, want some other orbs?) or Hc (some fusings, not sure).

Playing online-game is a good way to see through various kind of ppl.
Last edited by annasuperaa on Jul 8, 2014, 12:17:36 PM
The crafting system in this game is a huge lottery. As long as the person holding the 6l lottery is a streamer or someone else reasonable to trust, I don't see much of a difference from the participants viewpoint.
"
Magnicon wrote:
The crafting system in this game is a huge lottery. As long as the person holding the 6l lottery is a streamer or someone else reasonable to trust, I don't see much of a difference from the participants viewpoint.

Trust doesn't mean much when GGG really won't do much about anyone stealing from another player. They don't condone lotteries.

The price a lottery offers is usually far less than you would "win" by 6Ling one of your own items. How is that not a big difference from the participants viewpoint? Just like in my example the price was 10ex and the item was worth 32ex.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jul 8, 2014, 12:43:12 PM
"
iamstryker wrote:
Trust doesn't mean much when GGG really won't do much about anyone stealing from another player. They don't condone lotteries.

The price a lottery offers is usually far less than you would "win" by 6Ling one of your own items. How is that not a big difference from the participants viewpoint? Just like in my example the price was 10ex and the item was worth 32ex.
Trust means everything for a lot of people, regardless of what GGGs stance is.

As for your example, the value of the item in the lottery means nothing for the participant, as that worth is never within their grasp, unless they have the same item themselves. How many people have items worth that much when 6l? Especially early in a league, or in general if they are a casual player. You can save fuse for yourself to probably waste on your own item you may or may not get, or you can toss a couple at a streamer.

The point is, crafting yourself or playing the lottery is the same for the potential participant. You're gambling some amount of currency for a larger amount of currency.
What I want to know is: how many spam reports does it take before someone spamming their lottery in every chat channel imaginable until that person gets a perma-mute?
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
"
Magnicon wrote:
Trust means everything for a lot of people, regardless of what GGGs stance is.

Trust over the internet generally isn't a good idea, especially when GGG won't do anything if your scammed.

"
As for your example, the value of the item in the lottery means nothing for the participant, as that worth is never within their grasp,

It means plenty because anyone can get the currency for a lightning coil and try to 6L it themselves. If they get the 6L then congrats to them they have an item worth over 30ex. What does the lottery participant get? 10ex which is far less than the item is worth.

"
Especially early in a league, or in general if they are a casual player.

My example was for standard league as I clearly put in the OP but I still think its a bad idea regardless. It doesn't take long to get the currency for a decent base to 6L.

"

You can save fuse for yourself to probably waste on your own item you may or may not get, or you can toss a couple at a streamer.

What was your point here? Tossing them on your own item is BETTER than tossing them at a streamer which is why I made this thread. The only thing I can think of for why people do it is because they are too lazy to get their own base item. If people care about making the most currency that they can get then they should simply get their own base item and do it themselves.

"

The point is, crafting yourself or playing the lottery is the same for the potential participant. You're gambling some amount of currency for a larger amount of currency.

Its not the same at all which I have clearly highlighted in this thread.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jul 8, 2014, 1:22:15 PM
"
Perq wrote:

If there will be no rule against it, people will try their "luck" - aka giving out their last valuable stuff for nothing (or for someone else gain). Don't be stupid - there is no such thing as easy gain.

This.

6l-lotteries are an obvious scam. The payout is usually set ridiculously low compared to what it would normally cost to 6l an item. I remember some streamer guy who was hating on people that were calling him a scammer for holding a lottery. He even made a video in which he "explained" how 6 exalts (lol) were a fair payout for 6linking his item. If the 6l succeeds, the holder will save around 20 exalts while taking zero risk since it's other people burning their fusings on his item if it fails. If that's not a scam then I don't know what is.

On the bright side, these lotteries punish "easy gain" thinking by robbing people of their currency who think they can get rich for doing nothing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info