Is Grinding Gear Games doing anything about the desync issues?

I know this is a necro'd thread and all... but depending on how the net neutrality vote goes this issue could get a LOT worse for us in the states if our traffic gets dumped into the slow lane (unless ggg pays up to our isps to not slow the traffic down somehow).

For anyone that doesn't know what that means, watch this youtube video by john oliver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU
Last edited by Jiero on Oct 1, 2014, 6:48:22 AM
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/889669/page/1

It can't be completely removed. Not ever.
I like many kinds of games 😊
Dont waste your breath. GGG was told about their game flaws probably a million times and it seems they do nothing to imrpove. This game has potential to be very good if only its flaws were fixed, but sadly situation doesnt get better, actually with new unoptimized effects, skills, etc situation is getting even worse.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Yes, they are adding more desync bosses (example, Mathil doing new strand unique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2H5sz1vlw)
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
I think the quickest way to resolve all the desync complaints is just accept that desync is a core design flaw of the engine and therefore integrate a gameplay mechanic driven by it to alleviate the problem.

That mechanic would be that when a desync is detected and the server has to resync, compare the location of the player on the client and server, if the clients location is greater than X distance from the servers location, then heal the player to full health (even if the server thought they died).

Basically do something to prevent the player death when its a situation the player has no control over. Like it needs to compare the two states (server and client) and have like an optimistic heal + revive when it sees that the two states are severely out of sync and thus the player has no idea what the server thinks is happening.

Personally I like the cyclone skill its one of my fav skills, but the desync with it is a significant problem, since it will sometimes teleport me into a room I have not yet entered (that is full of mobs), or make it so that despite that Im attacking mobs, Im not getting any health from health on hit and leech, yet Im still taking damage. Ive tried to deal with it, but it happens regardless, its just a fundamental flaw that they really need to address if not thru fixing it, then thru giving the player the benefit of the doubt.
"

Even for an internet gaming forum, that statement is particularly... interesting. Hey, people will always die in traffic, no need for regulations, hey, someone's always going to be hungry, no need to do something about world hunger. Yet somewhere along the line between 'completely removed' and what we have now there might be a place that is a bit more worthwhile...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2H5sz1vlw

Skip to boss fight, yeh - nice game <3
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
torturo wrote:
It's a known issue and they are working on it.

LOL
I am not very familiar with New Zealand laws, but as much as I know they can’t hire people from foreign country so easy, right? Could they just hire a company from foreign country (give contract) to do the engine optimization for them? Buy a new game engine and move current game assets on the new engine or something like that? I doubt that this situation is a dead end. Aren’t experienced programmers available to work remotely for GGG?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Oct 1, 2014, 8:23:25 PM
"
vezuial wrote:
"

Even for an internet gaming forum, that statement is particularly... interesting. Hey, people will always die in traffic, no need for regulations, hey, someone's always going to be hungry, no need to do something about world hunger. Yet somewhere along the line between 'completely removed' and what we have now there might be a place that is a bit more worthwhile...

People keep yelling about the desync, yet none take their time to find out anything about what the problem actually is ... It's unbearably irritating. Of course, something should be done, but it's very limited what options they have, that wouldn't ruin something else fundamentally.

In theory, they could almost make desync non noticeable:

1. Remove all monster collision
2. Remove movement skills
3. Remove evasion and dodge
4. Remove accuracy and chance to hit
5. Remove pulls and pushes
6. Make the servers trust the client

Done.

EDIT:
Regarding car traffic. We could make it illegal to drive manually. All cars should be automatic. Why? Because there will always be a few idiots <%#%#€ ...
But this would make all the others very mad, wouldn't it ...

EDIT2:
And regarding world hunger. Remove money. Shouldn't exist. Why? Because it's obviously not working, so let's remove it and have confidence that everyone know what they're doing. No? Then let's make a computer run it all and decide what we can get, because some people are idiots and don't want to share ...
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Oct 2, 2014, 2:50:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info