[1.3] The Crit Philosopher - CI Crit Cold Witch - Freezing Pulse, PCoC & Echo

Really loving this.

It's giving my crit/split arrow a run for its money in the "my favorite first build of a new league" category.

FYI, Herald of Ice is OP. You want it....

At lvl 42 I essentially can keep a 4 stack of power charges up until I hit a spot where there aren't any mobs to kill with it, Assassin's Mark and PCoC.

why arent you going for those ice nodes (heart of ice & breath of rime) instead of the armour/es nodes (near body and soul)?
Last edited by PathOfDisco on Aug 25, 2014, 4:00:03 PM
Hi again.

I want to share with you my experience with this build, it may be useful for someone as it was for me.

It's very hard times for first character in league when you're about to go to CI but don't have enough ES. You have a very little amount of HP so any chaos damage kills you in seconds (or less).

The common way is to start as life character for using respec points when you decide you have enough ES pool to make yourself a char with 1 hp.
But I have plans for those respec points (actually, I wanna change a bit the build for the very late game in terms of Atziri) so this is not the way for me.

Thus I just switched Freezing Pulse with Ice Spear. As for only 3L for Merciless (~58-60 lvl) it's not very big lack of DPS but (and this a big BUT) you don't have to get close to mobs and you're have much more mobility.

For now I have ~2k DPS as FP - LMP - Echo and 1.7k DPS for Ice Spear - LMP - Echo. Not very big deal, isn't it?
Well, you might have a bit less dps because I was lucky to find a wand with +1 cold spells and some spell damage, but the point I want to say, Ice Spear is rather good alternative for wasting HP nodes to respec them later.

Of course, if you can afford this playstile, like hit&run or kiting big uniques (yes, Revenant guy new-pain-in-arse-in-docks, I'm looking at you).

Hope it would help someone.
Hi again I looked at your new progression skilltrees I've been following the one leading up to CI I am about to switch to CI in the next three levels. I was wondering if I could use a ghetto rig for the freezing problem. Wanderlust boots. I can't afford a dream fragments this early into the league so I was wondering if that would work?

Another problem I am having is physical damage it's destroying me,I can barely get past docks now because of how hard those archers are hitting me and I don't have any armor on my gear which is the reason for it I am sure.But how do you get past this? Do I need a new belt?

Here's my gear again I have updated it quite a bit and I am currently in the process of buying a new shield and possibly the boots I mentioned eariler (Wanderlust)

Spoiler

My skilltree
Last edited by Reloads on Aug 25, 2014, 7:05:09 PM
"
Reloads wrote:
g
Another problem I am having is physical damage it's destroying me,I can barely get past docks now because of how hard those archers are hitting me and I don't have any armor

get the doryani's cold belt. I'm sitting at 1k armour and dont have any issues with them
your boots REALLY need an upgrade...
Creator
Last edited by sSasori on Aug 25, 2014, 7:40:42 PM
"
sSasori wrote:
"
Reloads wrote:
g
Another problem I am having is physical damage it's destroying me,I can barely get past docks now because of how hard those archers are hitting me and I don't have any armor

get the doryani's cold belt. I'm sitting at 1k armour and dont have any issues with them

As I have said before there's a little problem I am mid wealth in this new league and atziri's items are at a all time high and 4 EX for a belt is just too much for me.

It's way out of my reach until I get more currency but I am gonna have to switch to wanderlust boots probably.
"
Ignalion wrote:
Hi again.

Thus I just switched Freezing Pulse with Ice Spear.

I'm actually preferring ice spear over FP right now.. Safe, I get more crits and the dmg seams more consistent.
gmp + IS + echo + PCoC + added light/cold
Creator
"
Reloads wrote:

As I have said before there's a little problem I am mid wealth in this new league and atziri's items are at a all time high and 4 EX for a belt is just too much for me.

It's way out of my reach until I get more currency but I am gonna have to switch to wanderlust boots probably.

As long as you are farming, it shouldnt be a problem. The only good stat on the boots is the 30% cold res.. you can find any rare boot that drops or aclh your own for better stats.
Or just browse poe.xyz for dual res boots
Creator
Last edited by sSasori on Aug 25, 2014, 8:31:30 PM
"
sSasori wrote:
"
Reloads wrote:

As long as you are farming, it should be a problem. The only good stat on the boots is the 30% cold res.. you can find any rare boot that drops or aclh your own for better stats.
Or just browse poe.xyz for dual res boots

As I have said in the above text I am switching to wanderlust which have that stat that dreamfragments have (Avoid frozen status) It's a poormans dreamfragments

I am gonna have to find a shield with good cold res and lots of es to make up for it.
"
jaredh wrote:
Really loving this.
It's giving my crit/split arrow a run for its money in the "my favorite first build of a new league" category.
FYI, Herald of Ice is OP. You want it....
At lvl 42 I essentially can keep a 4 stack of power charges up until I hit a spot where there aren't any mobs to kill with it, Assassin's Mark and PCoC.

I refuse to buy Herald of Ice as it is overpriced these days lol. I'll get it somehow!
Have you tried using a -dangerous alternative- unique flask called Doedre's Elixir? I used it before and was pretty decent for those situations in which I needed my charges to stay up. Be careful, it takes away some of your life/ES on use!

"
PathOfDisco wrote:
why arent you going for those ice nodes (heart of ice & breath of rime) instead of the armour/es nodes (near body and soul)?

I prefer a little bit of safety instead of a little bit of damage. So far I haven't had any damage issues with a 5L, so I suppose my next move to improve dps should be getting a 6L. Also, I find freeze duration a little bit redundant, since it can be improved with better dps. Cold damage is an INCREASED modifier, when Spell Crit or Cast Speed are MORE multipliers; I better invest in those.

"
Ignalion wrote:
... Thus I just switched Freezing Pulse with Ice Spear. As for only 3L for Merciless (~58-60 lvl) it's not very big lack of DPS but (and this a big BUT) you don't have to get close to mobs and you're have much more mobility...

That's sad to hear :(
Doesn't matter which spell you are using, you need mobility. I prefer Lightning Warp, but any movement skill is ok. Also, are you using some kind of decoy? Skeleton totem is great.

"
Reloads wrote:
"
sSasori wrote:
"
Reloads wrote:
g

Dream Fragments can wait if you trust in your reflexes using your defrost flask. This build is pretty squishy before the transition to CI, so you need to move around all the time! Don't stand still or they may hit you. Are you using Arctic Armour?

About your equipment, yeah boots could improve. Try to get a belt with armor! Also I suggest using Granite Flasks to mitigate the damage, pop them out if you see a big hit coming. That should help a lot, along with getting some armor nodes (body and soul cluster) instead of getting more damage. Safety first, for "dead Witches tend to have zero killspeed". Remember there is not a mandatory level to transition into CI. If you don't feel like you're ready, then don't push it and keep farming. The Ledge is an amazing place to farm from lvl 60 to 70.

GUYS THE SKELETON TOTEM REALLY HELPS!
IGN: DylanRyder
The Crit Philosopher: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/960124
Dominus Split Runs guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1212404

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info