[1.2.0] "Forcefield" - Flameblast - EB/MoM/Block - Atziri & Endgame Viable!

"
Redoxe wrote:
"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Spoiler
Love this build, 10/10. Got to 90 on rampage with it, killed atziri with one death to split phase. Probably could've been avoided with different flasks.

Notes & feedback from running it:
One-stack burning white packs with only one curse (possibly without, but you're spending too much time waiting around for them to die if you don't)
10-stack one-shotting (with afterburn) shrine piety/warmonger without a curse.
Fucking immortal. Did double palace dominus with vulnerability and the spookiest thing was the searing bond totems.
CWS molten shell with life leech is way better than I expected.
Reflect means absolutely nothing unless you do a full 10-stack on a large pack without a ruby.
Max block allowed me to use a tabula until I 6L'd my cloak, at around ~81 or 82. Ran probably level 71 maps with a tabula.
Atziri was easier than expected. I forgot to even put empower in instead of inc burning damage, and it was still quick.
The only map mods I reroll are temp chains, half/no regen, or fire res.
I look forward to a +1 curse anvil.

Drawbacks:
Getting enough dex for arctic armor without the 30 dex nodes was really difficult. Getting enough str for level 20 IC/EC is just as difficult.
Really hard to give up any of the gems in a 6L. Hell, there's like 8 support gems I wish I could always use. For reference, I use FB/conc/fire pen/inc burning/prolif/chance to ignite. Spell echo will replace ignite when I get quality burning damage and 20/20 FB.
Getting to 89 for the respec into the templar nodes was excruciatingly teasing.
Cast speed is absolutely horrid. -10% from anvil (and fuck that -20% movement penalty) is so painful without any cast speed nodes. Doryani's makes up for it a little bit, but it's still so bad.
Bad in parties. By the time you start doing any burn damage, everything's already dead. The only time you get to shine is during bosses.
Wish I could get more mana regen. ~219 without discipline and MoM doesn't always have 100% effectiveness.
Quicksilver is pretty much mandatory, even with 20/20 lightning warp, casting, reduced duration.

Link changeups: 3L in shield is flammability, ele weakness, (leveling up fire pen, but probably inc duration later? enhance if the opportunity arises)
4L in hat: Red duration, faster casting, lightning warp, arctic armor
4L in boots: red mana, clarity, tempest shield, discipline (purity of elements for ele weakness maps) probably gonna level up a purity of lightning/fire for atziri.

I feel like the tempest shield blind is excessive.

Thanks for the build guide.

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback. As far as stat requirements goes I went out of my way to grab the 20 str, life, buff effect nodes and the strength nodes on the way to it, which basically made me only have to get dex on my gear.

Not sure which 20 str, life, buff effect nodes you mean. Athleticism?
"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Love this build, 10/10. Got to 90 on rampage with it, killed atziri with one death to split phase. Probably could've been avoided with different flasks.

Agreed and other popular Flameblast builds right now look kinda meh in comparison.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
CWS molten shell with life leech is way better than I expected.

Yeah sometimes I wish cws would proc more often in non-insane rolled maps.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Reflect means absolutely nothing unless you do a full 10-stack on a large pack without a ruby.

Never died to reflect. With AA + PoF you'd need to fuckup pretty bad to die to reflect.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:

Temp chains and regens are np for this build. For half regen I move mainly with lightning warp, for no regen 1 Mana Flask is enough. I wouldn't do these in hardcore modes though. Fire res is no fun, agreed.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Getting enough dex for arctic armor without the 30 dex nodes was really difficult. Getting enough str for level 20 IC/EC is just as difficult.

Str. and dex on gear are very important for this build, yes. I still need to use one of the 30 Str. nodes atm.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Really hard to give up any of the gems in a 6L. Hell, there's like 8 support gems I wish I could always use. For reference, I use FB/conc/fire pen/inc burning/prolif/chance to ignite. Spell echo will replace ignite when I get quality burning damage and 20/20 FB.

I'd never use conc effect over spell echo. And I agree to Redox: With a 6l, spell echo and faster casting is all you need to channel. You won't even notice the -10% from Anvil with 20q fc and echo.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Getting to 89 for the respec into the templar nodes was excruciatingly teasing.

I skipped the respec part. Just went full softcore mode DPS first and around 50/75 block with lazhwar. I switched to anvil when I got 68% block.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Bad in parties.
By the time you start doing any burn damage, everything's already dead. The only time you get to shine is during bosses.

With Flameblast - Fire pen. - inc burning - prolif - echo - fast cast its different. In small 78 maps parties the other guys just watch how I burn whole rooms of whites before they can touch them. The boss dps is where it falls off. This build synergizes very well with SRS builds btw as those clear burning mobs and have insane single target DPS which this build lacks a bit.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Wish I could get more mana regen. ~219 without discipline and MoM doesn't always have 100% effectiveness.

That's really low. I got 330 atm, 380 with Discipline. And I disagree to some extend to Reddox earlier post that said you only need a little bit more than AA drains. With MoM "overkill" mana reg is very useful imo.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Quicksilver is pretty much mandatory, even with 20/20 lightning warp, casting, reduced duration.

Yeah I use 2 while mapping together with Lightning warp - faster cast - reduced duration. With this build in Softcore you wanna run ahead of the party and burn+tank before the others arrive. And as I said, with echo+faster cast the -10% cast speed from anvil are not really noticable but the movement speed certainly is.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Link changeups: 3L in shield is flammability, ele weakness, (leveling up fire pen, but probably inc duration later? enhance if the opportunity arises)

I linked my curses to faster casting. Not needed at all costs but as I use a curse to trigger Flameblast (instead of moving) it helps a lot.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
4L in boots: red mana, clarity, tempest shield, discipline (purity of elements for ele weakness maps) probably gonna level up a purity of lightning/fire for atziri.

When you don't need the extra regen anymore go PoF. It makes you not immune to reflect-deaths but close. You'd just need to overcap lightning for Ele weakness maps then, PoF will take care of fire. Cold is not needed imo. At Merveil e.g. everything can be spellblocked, even the cold pillars in second form.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
I feel like the tempest shield blind is excessive.

Agreed, not worth to waste 2 extra gems for that anymore.
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
FrontLineBait wrote:

Temp chains and regens are np for this build. For half regen I move mainly with lightning warp, for no regen 1 Mana Flask is enough. I wouldn't do these in hardcore modes though. Fire res is no fun, agreed.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:

That's really low. I got 330 atm, 380 with Discipline. And I disagree to some extend to Reddox earlier post that said you only need a little bit more than AA drains. With MoM "overkill" mana reg is very useful imo.

I just reroll half regen on palace/courtyard if there are other dangerous mods. I don't wanna bother risking with no regen, tbh. Temp chains just sucks because temp chains always sucks and there's no exceptions.

And I don't know what kind of wizardry you're doing, but I just don't have any more to get. Maybe you have a lot of ES on your gloves or your cloak is better rolled? My gloves are armor because I didn't wanna bother rolling RRRB on a pair of ES gloves. Do you have deep thoughts already?
Big thanks to you Sa_Re, I really appreciate you answering questions and sharing your experiences with the build.

"
Sa_Re wrote:
Never died to reflect. With AA + PoF you'd need to fuckup pretty bad to die to reflect.

Got close today when I was recording an elemental reflect Palace map. Didn't active my Ruby flask on a massive pack next to a shrine and did a full 10 stack FB, I even noticed that I didn't have the flask charges for it while waiting for the delay on FB and wasn't sure how much damage it would do. Took a noticeable chunk out of my life pool.

Uploading a couple of videos but it's not going very fast with a 0.5 mb/s upload speed.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
FrontLineBait wrote:

"
FrontLineBait wrote:

I just reroll half regen on palace/courtyard if there are other dangerous mods. I don't wanna bother risking with no regen, tbh. Temp chains just sucks because temp chains always sucks and there's no exceptions.

And I don't know what kind of wizardry you're doing, but I just don't have any more to get. Maybe you have a lot of ES on your gloves or your cloak is better rolled? My gloves are armor because I didn't wanna bother rolling RRRB on a pair of ES gloves. Do you have deep thoughts already?

Thanks to a high level clarity and having a decently sized mana pool you'll get a lot of mana regen from picking up more % mana regen nodes. Getting the stat on your rings will also help.

And about my statement before, it's great to have extra mana regen and you should definitely get it if you can but I just wanted to say that the build still works even if you don't have all the nodes or high mana regen rings. Can't argue that it isn't important when our mana pool also is part of our life pool.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:
Not sure which 20 str, life, buff effect nodes you mean. Athleticism?

Yup, that one. Might not be worth grabbing if you're not playing on Beyond but it did help me with most of my stat requirement problems.

Edit: here's two new videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pVuvG1_LM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98u7cTrSc1s
Last edited by Redoxe on Sep 25, 2014, 2:21:12 AM
"
Redoxe wrote:
Big thanks to you Sa_Re, I really appreciate you answering questions and sharing your experiences with the build.

That's the least I can do. With your build I can safely do all kind of Master missions. Sometimes I carry the whole group in Zana or Haku rotas. The only things that can kill this tank are Atziri, high degen, Palace Dominus totems and explosions. Sadly I have to skip Palace Dom with nasty mods because I get like 10-20 FPS there.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:

I understand that. Last time I bothered with a no regen palace there were those nasty exploding birds. I didn't die but it wasn't a good idea.

"
FrontLineBait wrote:

I got the witch starting nodes and >50% regen on both rings. My gloves are pure AR, too but my helmet has Mana. And my Cloak rolls are insane, my jaw dropped when I saw a guildmate linking that drop.

Gear
Spoiler

The tricky part is getting dex or str on rares. You have to sacrifice a suffix for it. I'd love to take chaos res instead.

"
Redoxe wrote:

Kudos, great demonstration. The only thing I could add is that you almost always 10 stack whites. Nothing wrong with that (you miss no drops this way) but one not familiar with burn prolif might think the bulk of the damage comes from the initial hit but the burning dps is the thing that blew my mind in the FM expansion.

If a Softcore player sees this and wants more clearspeed: Dual curse enemies with Ele weakness and Flammability and just blast them with a low FB stack. Everything melts instantly. For groups do the same but channel to 10. The others just need to help kill the rares. My faceroll playstyle is flammability -> hold flameblast for a second -> ele weakness (I think it applies before the blast hits but I'm not sure) -> quicksilver -> repeat at next pack.
Last edited by Sa_Re on Sep 25, 2014, 4:28:10 AM
It's something I realized when I watched my first youtube video, I keep doing the same thing to every pack I encounter which results in massive overkill to white mobs. I never felt like I was slow at clearing maps so I didn't push myself to improve the way I play.

I'll try to record some more maps where I do better. I can also easily afford a Doryani's Catalyst which together with the 25% fire dmg 2% fire pen node I'll get next level would increase my damage by a lot.
is the witch build still viable or is it better to go temp.
"
ArvandBIGZ1 wrote:
is the witch build still viable or is it better to go temp.

Witch is definitely viable but I really think Templar is the better choice. The difference isn't that big though so if you want to go Witch then go Witch. Having to go through the mana nodes early in the Witch starting area just means that you're simply going to have to wait with either damage/aoe or defense and finish the build later than the Templar.

It's just unfortunate that those mana nodes and the aoe nodes after are the nodes I'd wait until last to pick up as a Templar.
Last edited by Redoxe on Sep 25, 2014, 3:20:36 PM
Thanks for the beautifully displayed guide. Any chance of getting a leveling tree or two, maybe lv 60 & 75? This might be my first caster character in a year and a half, I have a few 60's with reset passive trees. I ran the templar and witch through poe builder, I don't see what the templar has going for it, though the double cursing only on templar makes any direct comparison unfair. Thanks.
"
roddyriot wrote:
Thanks for the beautifully displayed guide. Any chance of getting a leveling tree or two, maybe lv 60 & 75? This might be my first caster character in a year and a half, I have a few 60's with reset passive trees. I ran the templar and witch through poe builder, I don't see what the templar has going for it, though the double cursing only on templar makes any direct comparison unfair. Thanks.

I haven't updated the guide completely yet, just wanted to add the plan I have for my Templar and opted for not removing the old Witch passive tree that I made at the start of the new leagues.

Edit: Updated the guide a bit. Rewrote some parts and added the new videos.
Last edited by Redoxe on Sep 27, 2014, 12:38:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info