real story about RNG.

"
ExiledRenor wrote:
It always pains me, when people in discussion do not distinguish between "positive randomness" and "negative randomness". This makes a big difference.

They're not well-defined terms. There are some places where the presence of RNG means you shouldn't even bother unless insanely rich (e.g. fusing a 6L, which you should pretty much never bother with.)
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
Last edited by syrioforel on Jun 26, 2014, 10:55:18 PM
"
syrioforel wrote:

They're not well-defined terms. There are some places where the presence of RNG means you shouldn't even bother unless insanely rich (e.g. fusing a 6L, which you should pretty much never bother with.)

It's more or less that yes. But PoE is a game of risk reward, if you take the risk too late, it's less worth the reward, it's a balance to get I suppose. That is one of the most nocticeables strenghs of the game right now.

From what I see OP's mate has been very lucky, maybe unrealistically lucky. Sadly lot of players buy currencies online or use bots, that's the main weakness of the game. :)
Last edited by galuf on Jun 27, 2014, 4:36:37 AM
Yeah, I have played this game since CB, but never seen a single 6L dropped or sold in vendors.

It's really sad that almost all character progressions in the late game are based on RNG.

I am just waiting for the coming mini expansion and will decide if I take a break or play less for a while. I will not do any business with GGG until they make updates I like.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
Last edited by Hyskoa on Jun 27, 2014, 5:28:57 AM
"
krofj wrote:
So, lets start with that. I'm playing PoE since open beta. Playing it 850h via steam and around 200h with non steam acc. http://prntscr.com/3whv0i Best drop so far is alfa howl. And it was in old league. So long time ago. Had droped 2 eternals, 3 exalts. It's not that bad considering other people luck/ non existent luck.

But the real problem is our BUDDY, who just ruined our desire to play this game.

Lets see some numbers.

He is playing like week or a bit more.

1 eternal
5 or 6 exalts
Its only low roll on hes luck.

Dropped random 6S in 69 lvl map. Use 1 fuse got 6l. OK, balanced
Doing 3 man 74 lvl map, drops 6link for him.
He is doing solo lvl 73,74,75 maps and drops 2x Andvarius, Gold Ring in like 1 hour. Balanced

2x tornady wand unique,
A, lot of other uniques who can be sold for exalts.

And best part was today. and if you feel poor because of currency then simple get well: just grind and vendor every blue item that ou find, als sell stacks of alterations, you will see you will make 3 ex a day, if you are lazy... :)

Gave him 1s Cloak of Defiance, Lacquered Garb because he need for new build. Use less then 30 jew for 6s, 17 fuse for 6L.

So in a week he got drop for more then 50+ ex and im still grinding my ass of and got nothing!? How dumb is to see that...

screen 1: http://prntscr.com/3whsq4
screen 2: http://prntscr.com/3whtpy

I really don't wanna play this game anymore...

what is dis threat about? is it not allowed to you friend to have his drops? maybe take a look @ his build, and lern from him, about it...

maybe he uses rings with more rarity or quanity? is that friend ok with, that you talk about his drop rates to the community?

so stay cool, its just a game, no work, have fun grinding stuff then dis is 1 essence of the game, and just play it, instead another girls threat about anything...

grinding @ its best... remember the name of the games company: "grinding gear games" .. so what do you expect? and if you are really done with the game, why do you write so much text? instead of just simple quitting?
that is how the game worx, grinding for stuff,sometimes you got lucky, sometimes not... if you re unlucy then hold your currency and buy your gear... problem solution.

the internet is full of cool games btw. hope you will find a game where you can get all your uniques in a week of less..

for me, everything is exact like it should... i enjoy grinding, like the most of the real passioned gamers here. i also linked with less then 20 fusings, and also find exalts very often. (4 last week)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ ++HIDEOUT IMPROVEMENT THREAD: ..../view-thread/2179528...++░░░░▒▒▒▒
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by loCurnus on Jun 27, 2014, 6:16:16 AM
"
ExiledRenor wrote:
Currently I also lost every interest to play the game.

Not sure if RNG is the reason, but still Id call it "inconsistant progression curve" which definitly a pain in the ass. Also I played similar games which actually were fun playing them because you were constantly rewarded with small pieces instead of one big jackpot.

Small tiny pieces definitly is better IMO.

Actually its pretty simple:

1. remove the inconstant progression and the "all or nothing" trash

2. make skills low cooldown based so playing the game is actuall fun and not just holding down either the left or the right mousebutton.

Will not happen though...

PS.:

my story is this:

I started as "Renor" played some months, spent all my Fusings on 6l, lost it all, asked GGG for deleting the account.

Made new account, played 1-2 months, spend another 50+ hours worth of farming for nothing on fusings.

and now I am here and I wonder why I should play the game if its nothing but punishing?

The fun thing is: there are people who invested a lot more than me FOR NOTHING.

It always pains me, when people in discussion do not distinguish between "positive randomness" and "negative randomness". This makes a big difference.

"negative randomness" is game design NO GO and "positive randomness" is DEBATEABLE.

True. And this is not only fault of RNG, but also of the skill tree. Think about it: in this game a good part of all our hard earned skill points are wasted on those crappy +10 str/int/dex nodes!!!! WHY many lvl 90 characters struggle in maps with lvl 77 monsters? Because the player does NOT gain a REAL ability so many times he/she level up!!! It was really so much difficult to chain the level up to an automatic gain of stats, and completely remove the attributes nodes? A marauder does lvl up? Ok, it gains automatically +10 str, +4 dex and +2 int. Witch? Automatically +10 int, + 4 dex and +2 str. Scion? +5 to all attributes. And so on. And the precious skill point would go TO A SIGNIFICANT NODE, expecially because is stupid to spent hours leveling (talking about lvl 70+) only for taking a crappy +10 node.. that leads to another +10 node.. that leads to another one.. and then FINALLY we encounter a decent node!!! Take a good look at the far east of the tree (ranger area): there are more dex nodes than abilities!!!!! IMO, these nodes must be completely removed, and the only requirement for wearing a gear should be the character level. Is this "not possible" (in the name of a balance that does not exist already), and the attributes nodes must be mantained? Ok, but at least do not put 3.612.678.978 of them between notable node A and notable node B!!!

Sick of 7 years of the (magnificent) Titan quest, and without the money for Diablo 3, i still play PoE. But time consumption (attribute nodes) and RNG really are discouraging me in going on... :/
"
Pokopensuke wrote:
Yeah, I have played this game since CB, but never seen a single 6L dropped or sold in vendors.

It's really sad that almost all character progressions in the late game are based on RNG.

I am just waiting for the coming mini expansion and will decide if I take a break or play less for a while. I will not do any business with GGG until they make updates I like.

I'm not sure how GGG will make it without your business. Threats like this should absolutely play into their strategy and they should drop everything to succumb to these threats.

/sarcasm

6L is not absolutely necessary for end game content. I played with this for a very long time and ran L78 maps easily:

There are even builds that only require a 4L to be end game competitive. If your build requires a 6L to be survivable, then perhaps the problem is with your build...or your playstyle...or your expectations. Or maybe there is no problem at all and you should just find another game that meets your needs.

6L is (and should be) the holy grail for each item. It makes the hunt that much more exciting.
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Pokopensuke wrote:

I'm not sure how GGG will make it without your business. Threats like this should absolutely play into their strategy and they should drop everything to succumb to these threats.

/sarcasm

6L is not absolutely necessary for end game content. I played with this for a very long time and ran L78 maps easily:

There are even builds that only require a 4L to be end game competitive. If your build requires a 6L to be survivable, then perhaps the problem is with your build...or your playstyle...or your expectations. Or maybe there is no problem at all and you should just find another game that meets your needs.

6L is (and should be) the holy grail for each item. It makes the hunt that much more exciting.

No reason to threat at all since POE is F2P. I don't lose anything. I am just taking a break or playing less. My point is that I will not drop any money on a game I am no longer actively playing. I am really sure that GGG will make it without my money because a lot of people religiously donate money to GGG no matter if they play a lot of not. I hope you are one of them and keep funding GGG until they create not too RNG based late game contents and character progressions for people like me.

Excuse me? When did I say I need 6L? I just said I had never seen a single 6L dropped and sold in vendors. Thanks for the lecture though ┐(´Д`)┌
"
Pokopensuke wrote:
I just said I had never seen a single 6L dropped and sold in vendors.

I've seen 1 (one).
But no worries.
That 6L you never saw would be on crap base anyway.

And Tabula Rasa is Tabula Rasa.
I made a 6L Searing Touch under 200 fusings. I was so f'cking happy about it too. Turns out I couldn't handle the mana cost to get to Stage 10 Flameblast so I traded it + the Soultaker I chanced for a 197% ES Shav's + 5L Searing Touch lol. I was happily farming with the near-prefect Andvarius that I also chanced a few days prior.

RNG was good to me this league
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Last edited by GooberM on Jun 28, 2014, 12:59:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info