Action Screenshot Competition Winners

Not everyone is playing on a monitor/tv with a 1920x1080 resolution. The visual perception changes you are speaking of come from zooming in by scrolling with the middle mouse button. Everything in my screenshot was by the rules and I didn't use photoshop to enhance the photo at all. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Good luck to everyone in the next contest!
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Last edited by Wraeclastian on Jun 25, 2014, 11:33:08 PM
"
peachii wrote:
I don't understand what people are complaining about this shot for, it's a really well done screenshot that can be used just as it is for promo's, posters, screen savers. All it needs added to it is a small GGG/PoE logo and it's art worthy.
The winning picture is just about the worst pic that could be used for promotion. How many gamers are going to see that picture and think, "man, its 2014, and I really need to play that insanely simple looking game based on this picture where it appears that almost nothing is happening".

The only thing some random person is going to know for sure, is that the old dude with the hammer is about to attack something. They would have no idea the necro is resurrecting anything, and both of the living roa's don't even appear to be directly pointing at the templar.(desync?)

"
It shows the exact feel of A1N starting out and what every single person just starting in the game can expect to see and feel the first time they enter the fetid pool and fight this boss for the first time.
"Exact feel"? Aside from the potions obviously not being correct, how would any new player get there without a single skill on their bars? I'm sure theres stats for it, but I would guess somewhere around 1 in 1k-10k would do that. A lot of players might not even have a quicksilver flask, and they also obviously wouldn't have a level 20 unique weapon, since thats literally impossible.

"
Maybe you have a couple attacks, more than likely just one at that point, which turns into auto attack 90% of the time because you have no mana left for anything else.
I find it hard to believe that the average gamer, even on their very first playthrough, isn't going to be able to figure out how to use a mana pot. Maybe I'm overestimating the average gamers abilities though.

"
This shot captures exactly the feel, look and excitement of that first run through the game. It's really well done.
This would only be accurate if you missed Fire-Fury, skipped Hailrake, went directly to that fight, then promptly uninstalled the game. Beyond that, the game clearly changes rapidly in certain points, even during the first playthrough of normal. The picture does not remotely prepare a new player for what they will encounter throughout normal, even for just Act 1.

Regardless, the winning shot captures less than 1% of someones first playthrough simply because theres no skill. The very first thing that happens in the game is acquiring a skill gem. Maybe thats why this was said in the OP:

"
Because there were over 1000 quality screenshots, we decided to go with the strictest interpretation of the guidelines for the contest. This was an "Action Screenshot" competition, so we concluded that the winners needed to show combat in some way. That meant that there had to be a monster on screen. It also meant that the player was shown using some sort of skill, preferably mid-cast.
"
Magnicon wrote:
"
peachii wrote:
I don't understand what people are complaining about this shot for, it's a really well done screenshot that can be used just as it is for promo's, posters, screen savers. All it needs added to it is a small GGG/PoE logo and it's art worthy.
The winning picture is just about the worst pic that could be used for promotion. How many gamers are going to see that picture and think, "man, its 2014, and I really need to play that insanely simple looking game based on this picture where it appears that almost nothing is happening".

The only thing some random person is going to know for sure, is that the old dude with the hammer is about to attack something. They would have no idea the necro is resurrecting anything, and both of the living roa's don't even appear to be directly pointing at the templar.(desync?)

"
It shows the exact feel of A1N starting out and what every single person just starting in the game can expect to see and feel the first time they enter the fetid pool and fight this boss for the first time.
"Exact feel"? Aside from the potions obviously not being correct, how would any new player get there without a single skill on their bars? I'm sure theres stats for it, but I would guess somewhere around 1 in 1k-10k would do that. A lot of players might not even have a quicksilver flask, and they also obviously wouldn't have a level 20 unique weapon, since thats literally impossible.

"
Maybe you have a couple attacks, more than likely just one at that point, which turns into auto attack 90% of the time because you have no mana left for anything else.
I find it hard to believe that the average gamer, even on their very first playthrough, isn't going to be able to figure out how to use a mana pot. Maybe I'm overestimating the average gamers abilities though.

"
This shot captures exactly the feel, look and excitement of that first run through the game. It's really well done.
This would only be accurate if you missed Fire-Fury, skipped Hailrake, went directly to that fight, then promptly uninstalled the game. Beyond that, the game clearly changes rapidly in certain points, even during the first playthrough of normal. The picture does not remotely prepare a new player for what they will encounter throughout normal, even for just Act 1.

Regardless, the winning shot captures less than 1% of someones first playthrough simply because theres no skill. The very first thing that happens in the game is acquiring a skill gem. Maybe thats why this was said in the OP:

"
Because there were over 1000 quality screenshots, we decided to go with the strictest interpretation of the guidelines for the contest. This was an "Action Screenshot" competition, so we concluded that the winners needed to show combat in some way. That meant that there had to be a monster on screen. It also meant that the player was shown using some sort of skill, preferably mid-cast.

well said Magnicon!
well said!

1 thing I would add is that none of the final 5 pictures chosen represent one of the most important aspect of the game... MULTIPLAYER.

^^

[Removed by Support]
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
Last edited by Bex_GGG on Jun 26, 2014, 11:31:10 PM
Moribundus - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but obviously he did meet the contest guidelines since he won. I'm sure he is enjoying every one of his 2500 points that he earned with that screen shot. :)
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Many people don't read carefully, shoot poor big explosion etc
My accidental shoots...

Full http://imageshack.com/a/img855/8894/9kjn.png
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
🌞 Designer of SimpleFilter see My Item Filters 🌞
Last edited by koszmarnica on Jun 27, 2014, 6:22:03 AM
"
peachii wrote:
Moribundus - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but obviously he did meet the contest guidelines since he won. I'm sure he is enjoying every one of his 2500 points that he earned with that screen shot. :)

I don't have an headache from "bad" news... because I was refering to the fail kid with his cropped screenshot of a wall with skeleton heads, that "someone" removed from my post ^^
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
Last edited by Moribundus on Jun 27, 2014, 3:07:41 PM
"
Moribundus wrote:
"
peachii wrote:

I don't have an headache from "bad" news... because I was refering to the fail kid with his cropped screenshot of a wall with skeleton heads, that "someone" removed from my post ^^

You mean this picture?

By the way, those 2500 points were delicious!
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
№4 - Leaping over Brutus' Blood Slam - is the BEST !

Shout out to GGG and all the winners in this contest!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info