Gender...

agree with op
So I guess the final question is would you be willing to pay for gender selection. The Developers are likely looking for ways to monetize the game without changing game play balance and this might be an option for them. It would surely take more time and money to develop it, but if people are willing to pay to have a Warlock, or rugged female melee warrior than it could be a good feature to add down the line.
I can understand the want of a lot of people with gender selection since a lot of female players don't like to play male characters and even some male players don't like to be a female. On the other hand depending how the world is and story behind it a female barbarian might not mesh well in terms of immersion. I think the game play and overall feel of the game should come as a priority to being able to select what sex you play as.
gender selection is very good ;o
Last edited by duszek1992 on Sep 8, 2011, 6:51:58 AM
gender, hair style, hair color, and helm option on or off (display) = epic :P

green mohawk! ^-^
The issue is that you never get something for nothing. Gender selection isn't something they've taken out of the game. It's something they've neglected to put in. If you really want them to add gender selection to the game, what would you be comfortable with them losing? Monsters? Loot? Dungeons?

If you think gender selection should make it in the future, you have to consider if that's really what you want or if you would rather have more classes, dungeons, loot, etc.

Personally, I think being able to choose the gender seems unimportant by comparison.
Last edited by LabcoatSamurai on Sep 8, 2011, 5:31:28 PM
I'm used enough to games that force your gender to not be too bothered by it, and I agree that in a Diablo clone (as opposed to an MMO) appearance customization isn't really a priority.

What bugs me is that all the males are down at the Str end and all the females are at the Dex/Int end (assuming the third hybrid is a female). Yes, I know in real life females have a bit less upper body strength, but couldn't the gender allocations have been spread around a bit more for those who want a Str female character? A bit late to change that, I know.

That said, I haven't played the game yet, but from what I can tell your profession is completely aesthetic aside from a higher starting score in your associated attribute. So I guess you could always roll a Witch and raise it as a pure Str char, for example.
The whole "gender locking relies on story" argument falls apart when you can switch the story to match the new gender. You say that it's silly to have a male witch? It's a wizard now. A duelist could be a sexy lady just as easily as it could be a dashing fellow.

Basically, I'm saying that there's absolutely no reason whatsoever that gender would affect a character's story. If they're supposed to be the son of a king, make them a daughter for the female version, etc.
"
The issue is that you never get something for nothing. Gender selection isn't something they've taken out of the game. It's something they've neglected to put in. If you really want them to add gender selection to the game, what would you be comfortable with them losing? Monsters? Loot? Dungeons?

If you think gender selection should make it in the future, you have to consider if that's really what you want or if you would rather have more classes, dungeons, loot, etc.

Personally, I think being able to choose the gender seems unimportant by comparison.
There is no reason whatsoever that this should be the case, since it's something that should be there in the first place. Just because it isn't normally done in dungeon crawlers doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't be done, or can only done at the expense of the rest of the game.
Why call it a role playing game if you cant choose your role. I prefer the WoW style of choosing and customizing characters. Gives the user more freedom and I love that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info