Gender...

I'm not against the idea at all, but I always found the idea of a female Barbarian in D3 a little... funny.

Because how often do you see a giant buffed warrior lookin chick buying groceries xD

Though I do like the bigger ladies ;)
"
lucaskf467 wrote:
The game looks really awsome and promissing. One thing is bothering me, tought: Gender. Please DEVS, dont make classes without possible gender selection. If theres one thing i never understood in some games (and this same thing was the reason for manny players quit these games) is the lack of gender selection with classes. Please dont take away this major important aspect of customisation. I will feel forced to play a ranger female, cause i cant see myself as one. Plus, theres no purpose in taking away this aspect of customization. Not that i see, annyways.
All the rest is really nice and the setting and music are making me verry anxious to play this. Congrats!

Ps- Sorry my bad english, im from Brazil
I completely understand if they can't implement gender choices yet due to time or money constraints at the moment, but I'd very much prefer it if it would be implemented at a later date.

Like someone already mentioned, it is an RPG after all, and even though I'm not actually a role player myself, even I feel a bit odd playing a female character being a man myself. Some people find this silly of course, but I can't help it. ;)

I'm not saying I wouldn't use any of the currently female-only classes if gender choices aren't implemented, but I will definitely be using mostly the male classes in this case.
I'm female and melee/warrior classes have always been my favorite. However, I've never liked the idea of playing these types of games as the opposite gender, so I'll probably have to go with a ranger or witch. So yeah, naturally I'm all for gender customization.

If the developers are on a tight budget for now, then yes, genders should be locked. But it would be amazing if they allowed a bit of customization if more money flowed in.
This is an ARPG, not a MMORPG. The classes are gender locked for a reason...there is a story and background to each character. For this story to fit, you have to be a man/woman.

You are playing as a character, not as yourself as seen in mmorpgs.
i have absolutely no problem with gender locked classes in an ARPG with only 5 heroes.

As already mentioned by someone on the first page, each hero has a background and therefore makes it justified that they are gender locked.

For example, "Amazonia the Amazon escaped from sisters colony in search for glory & richess", you can hardly expect Amazonia to be a man, now can you?
The fact that you can't choose the gender of the character doesn't really bother me much. I'll play the class I want to play as whether they are male or female.
Barbarian woman seems will be look kind of ridiculous. I think static gender is good.
Yes, so many people quit playing D2 because they couldn't play male amazon... -_-
"
Vvemoth wrote:
I appreciate the idea that gender cannot be changed. One of the thing that irks me about the new "direction" of D3 is the gender change.

Amazon could only be woman, it was part of their culture. Sorceress is only woman, because that is the way of their order and how they are chosen. The barbarian is a "men only" class because they are the macho axe grinder.

Here we have the witch, and I believe it should remain woman only as that is the most common interpretation of a witch. As for the others, I hope they remain gender specific. I also hope they introduce more classes in the future, but I like the direction they are taking things as it is.

If anything, change the class name per gender and make them slightly different. So the female and male version might be like wizard/witch and they would have slightly different spells because they come from different orders.

My 5 cents

since the level system in this game allows you to change the class by obtaining gems of other classes and leveling up magic as a hand to hand fighter, or raising the dead as an archer, I feel classes are only "skin" deep. you pick them for starting attributes and base appereance. that said, it would make more sense to be able to choose your class "title" based on your build, rather than be dictated what you are by what you simply chose at the start.

also, gender specific classes only work when there is a backstory for them, which I'm not sure if there is one for a lot of these classes, which means a male Witch would be a Warlock, but all the other classes would remain the same in name.

gender selection however, is less important, than name selection, or gameplay for that mater, and since this game is being developed for consumers and get for free, I feel like the most important thing is how accessible the game is to new players, and how user friendly the game is.

I love customization, but gender selection is just a "plus", it's not going to make or break anything. perhaps they will allow skin modding, or just make it an option later for a price, but you can't seriously think people will stop playing a game for something so unneeded to make a good game, thats just crazy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info