Update on Expansion Development Timeline

"
Peripherally wrote:
Dunno how many others have felt the same way, but I'll bring it up just in case it really is as big a deal as I think.

I haven't minded the grind through Acts/Difficulties for making new chars as much as I have the same systematic redundancy that affects how EVERY single person is forced to consider end game char builds: after a certain level and certain point in maps, almost every piece of gear is judged by the same standards: "does it have Life + resist A + resist B + resist C, sometimes resist D (chaos)".

There is no variety when it comes to choosing how to equip chars, with very few exceptions based on specific builds using uniques. I mean, I get that there is a balancing act involved and a trade-off for every choice one has to make in picking certain equips over others, or sacrifices involved if you choose a unique over a rare with more hp/resists. That makes perfect sense.

The core of it is that every league, every char, every scenario you can think of around picking and choosing a build is ultimately reduced to the same factors: "does this piece of gear have HP + resists?". To me, this makes the end game like a very large, very bland/gray/colorless wall where either you can get over it with a cookie-cutter(-ish) build, or you cannot because you haven't covered all the same old bases over and over with your build out of left field.

I don't know how the end game could be altered, if at all, to accommodate real variety when it came to making chars suitable for the highest maps, but I think it is a fair point of consideration. PoE is an awesome game, but somehow its repetition, by the end game content, doesn't seem to be rewarding or enjoyable or diverse or inclusive enough. Maybe it feels too linear by the end? It's possible that this limitation I'm referring to is kind of built-in to the way its made, the way it was since the beginning. But I feel like to truly tap into what can make people want to play the game (as opposed to making it just another avenue for grind, same as real life tends to do), there has to be something more than this sort of singular, constricting aspect to the end game. I can't even be sure I'm articulating my thoughts on this fully o_o.

Ah well, let's see where this goes.

It coming down to resists is solely determined by the modifiers that Cruel/Merc incur upon the player. To me, that's too much of an artificial spike in difficulty to be enjoyable. However, higher difficulties DO need to be more difficult, obviously.
I would much prefer that the res penalty be kept but lessened significantly, and to add a global (applies to both monsters and players) damage buff. An alternative to the damage buff is to nerf defensive properties per difficulty, so armor/ev/es would be 20% less effective in Cruel, and even less so in Merc. I'd prefer the damage buff personally.
This would put a focus on well rolled base properties (increased armor/evasion/energy shield) that only take up one or two suffixes on items instead of mandatory res rolls that take up all the space for "fun" affixes.
Regardless of the solution... Resistance should be just that, resistance to that type of damage, not the only way to survive it. Yes, you should still -ideally- want max res, but it shouldn't be the only way to survive.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
Loved the expansion this season! And yet I hope the 4monthleagues will be something predictable, loved Ambush but Invasion was a little weird, I couldnt feel comfortable anymore since there might be one of the invaders oneshotting around the corner (and farming better gear to avoid that isnt possible either since, well, theyre spawning everytime I wanna farm an area .___.)
"
Felix35071 wrote:
I would much prefer that the res penalty be kept but lessened significantly, and to add a global (applies to both monsters and players) damage buff.

It is very easy to cap resists. What is harder is to over-cap to account for curses and map modifiers. That's also why people focus so much on resists. 75% in merciless doesn't require much effort, but 125% is harder.
i might say one day poe is the best game ever instead of diablo 2 :)

i hate you redditors, you know who you are
"
Turantel wrote:
I couldnt feel comfortable anymore since there might be one of the invaders oneshotting around the corner (and farming better gear to avoid that isnt possible either since, well, theyre spawning everytime I wanna farm an area
Inv got rebalanced a while ago and isnt as 1shotty anymore, plus the inv bosse's drops got increased wich really makes it nice to go to kill them (well that and the great feeling of teabagging those suckers hehe), so yeah pls dont feel like that ;)
PoE Wiki page: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki
Last edited by bjarky on Jun 14, 2014, 5:44:12 AM
"while also helping ease new players into Wraeclast"

Ok nerfs to difficulty again, AGAIN
"
Pulsahr wrote:
General suggestions

The corrupted gems are like "uber powers", but not so uber so they can't ruin existing builds or make other gems obsolete. That was incredibly well thought.

Other suggestions

And one more thing. You add skills often. That's cool, but I'm not sure the pace should be that up. We (casual players) don't have the time to fully explore a skill before deciding to keep it or not. Before we finish the study, another skill has already been introduced. But maybe that's the drawback of being casual (If so, I'm ok with that).
Note that corrupted gems are not concerned by this.

Fully agree, 1st balance existing content then later (even much later) add the new one. can't wait act 4 anyway :D
Aye Aye Captain!
An selffound league whear you have like 300iiq whear the loot will not go to standart wpuld be COOL <3 love you GGG
"
Mahesys wrote:
"while also helping ease new players into Wraeclast"

Ok nerfs to difficulty again, AGAIN

He said nothing about nerfing difficulties at all.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
mithras001 wrote:
New trade system for casual player please!

Which means what exactly?
The trade system is the same for everyone.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info