Video drivers crash sometimes during game

"
Drakier wrote:
Download the latest drivers from the AMD Radeon site. See if that improves at all. Your drivers are a bit outdated.

That's not true, I have catalyst 14.4 and they are the latest for my card and os.
"
aliggato wrote:
That's not true, I have catalyst 14.4 and they are the latest for my card and os.

DxDiag:
Driver Date/Size: 12/23/2013 10:26:22, 306176 bytes
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7279 (English)

AMD Site:
NAME FILE SIZE REVISION NUMBER RELEASE DATE
Catalyst Software Suite 179 MB 14.4 4/24/2014

Display Driver ver. 9.00.100

Are you sure you have 14.4 drivers installed from the AMD site? ... because it sure doesn't look that way based on the available data.
Last edited by Drakier on Aug 27, 2014, 2:15:44 AM
Yes my ati2dvag.dll is from catalyst 14.4 and it was last modified Monday, December 23, 2013, 10:26:22 AM and of size (306,176 bytes) and version 6.14.10.7279
Download it, you will see that's it.
"
aliggato wrote:
Yes my ati2dvag.dll is from catalyst 14.4 and it was last modified Monday, December 23, 2013, 10:26:22 AM and of size (306,176 bytes) and version 6.14.10.7279
Download it, you will see that's it.

Regardless of whether it's the latest or not, the crash you're getting is video card related (drivers specifically)... as I said.. could be due to bad/old drivers (which you are ruling out), bad/failing hardware, or misconfigured hardware.

Is your card overclocked?

Does your PSU have enough power to properly power the GPU? Is the power cable properly plugged into the GPU (since it has a separate power cable)?

Something is causing your driver to crash. Usually it's hardware if drivers are all updated.

Also... you might want to consider upgrading to Win7 64-bit. You're running XP which is very old and unsupported. It's also 32-bit which has other issues.
"
Drakier wrote:
Regardless of whether it's the latest or not, the crash you're getting is video card related (drivers specifically)... as I said.. could be due to bad/old drivers (which you are ruling out), bad/failing hardware, or misconfigured hardware.

Is your card overclocked?

Does your PSU have enough power to properly power the GPU? Is the power cable properly plugged into the GPU (since it has a separate power cable)?

Something is causing your driver to crash. Usually it's hardware if drivers are all updated.

Also... you might want to consider upgrading to Win7 64-bit. You're running XP which is very old and unsupported. It's also 32-bit which has other issues.

The card is not overclocked. PSU is enough, 580W. I don't have these crashes with any other games or applications. I think to move to linux 32 bits and use wine for the game.
Try to play without Catalyst Control Center

Try to delete video drivers through advanced uninstall located in video adapter properties in driver section. After that install the drivers.

Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
Last edited by Ekalindorskii on Aug 27, 2014, 7:02:03 AM
"
aliggato wrote:
The card is not overclocked. PSU is enough, 580W. I don't have these crashes with any other games or applications. I think to move to linux 32 bits and use wine for the game.

Why would you install a 32-bit OS? It doesn't make sense to me why you are stuck with trying to use a 32-bit OS on a processor that clearly supports 64-bit.

Do you have any particular reason you keep wanting 32-bit?

You can install a 64-bit Windows (or Linux) and game with that. If you stick with Windows, I recommend Win7 64-bit as it is more like XP and more stable... and it's not end of life.

I personally use Linux, so I know it mostly works with PoE, but if you use Linux, you won't really be getting much support for PoE here, and there are definitely some things on the Linux version that aren't working right and might bother you.

But why are you stuck on 32-bit OS?
I like "puppy linux" and most of them are 32-bits, but rare are 64-bits like : Lighthouse/Mariner, Fatdog64 and Slacko64. Anyway, I will see, I am not there yet, I don't have much time to test or use. Can you tell me what doesn't work in linux ? Anyway, for the moment, I use xp, it doesn't crash all the time, but sometimes. I don't like 7 or 8, they are too heavy.
Last edited by aliggato on Aug 27, 2014, 5:19:49 PM
"
aliggato wrote:
I like "puppy linux" and most of them are 32-bits, but rare are 64-bits like : Lighthouse/Mariner, Fatdog64 and Slacko64. Anyway, I will see, I am not there yet, I don't have much time to test or use. Can you tell me what doesn't work in linux ? Anyway, for the moment, I use xp, it doesn't crash all the time, but sometimes. I don't like 7 or 8, they are too heavy.

If you're going with Linux, you should pick a popular distro that has good updates and proper 64-bit support. Any distro that is STUCK on 32-bit is likely un-maintained or outdated. IE: pick something like Debian/Ubuntu, Arch, Mint, etc... something that is popular and has a lot of support.

As for what doesn't work... it's mostly graphical glitches with DirectX rendering the fonts... it causes a lot of the fonts to be a bit difficult to read. It's not a huge issue, but it is annoying to a lot of people, and I would want to properly set expectations here that PoE on Linux isn't perfect. It "works"... but it's not 100% perfect.
This fella isn't the only one that's had problems since 1.2

I played PoE last year on a stone toaster, and it was using an AMD 64 3500+ single core processor with ddr1 400mhz 1.5g ram and a radeon hd 5670. Needless to say, since all the new graphical littering with the likes of CoC, my old pos still ran it and did not get random freezes and stuck requiring a hard reboot.

On my computer that I'm using now, there's only 3 things that have changed. I have more cores, more ram, and the revision of PoE.

Yet I am getting the same problem as this guy.

We have a buggy operation with
Spoiler
AMD 64X2 5200+
2g DDR3 Ram
Radeon HD 5670.

PoE 1.2

We had a stable albeit slow operation with
Spoiler
AMD 64 3500+
1.5g DDR1 400mhz
Radeon HD 5670

PoE 1.1.3e