Man, duelist sucks

Melee pick range abilities, there's really not REAL melee in this game except for single target abilities like HS, VS.
i'll have to agree...ontop of the def problems for trying to melee, half of the time attacks miss when trying to use either flicker strike or whirling blades due to desync problems... which mobs frequently get the advantage of...it may still be possible to do with some more work and thought...but with the instakill things that can happen, i'm not confident.
"
XDementia wrote:
[...] until I discovered endurance charges [...]

That's all there is to a melee. 5+ endurance charges.
IGN DolandDoesGooby
Playing a level 70 Duelist and I fucking hate it, believe me it's been a painful grind -- anything over level 63 and I need to be carried. I can't solo maps, I can barley do end game content as it is. My damage is pretty decent but I have NO damage delivery without getting blown up. I have almost 3000HP, 5000+ armor, 75% resist all doesn't matter. I can't kill fast enough because I had to pour points into defence but what's the point of that when I'm still being 1-3 shot by stupid skeletons, stupid skeletons are 3 shooting me. Jesus Christ I thought this game was supposed to be better than D3?

The damage ratio for ranged/melee should be 1:3, I'm up in their face, I'm soaking up all the damage, why are you allowed to do more damage than me? I did about 15 maps last night with a Witch, had to have my cock held for me, completely embarrassing. Duelists needs a passive that increases Parry to magic and physical damage by 35% at least, then we should be able to survive better. Our super nodes are garbage too, never miss but never crit? Really? Take more of our damage away. Can't evade but can't be stunned? Can still be frozen, can still be slowed. Useless.

Right now every class has their cake and they're able to eat it. They can soak up/avoid damage and respectfully dish it out. Duelists only have their cake, but GGG forgot to give them a spoon.

The content is definitely doable, just 1000x slower. By the time I'd hit level 100 on a Duelist, I could have made 3 other classes and got them to 100.

I'm giving the developers a little while to fix this garbage collecting class and if I come back to zero changes I'll move on.
Moltenshell, endurance charges, granite flask and life leech.
High physical damage 1h axes
Dual strike with faster attacks and cleave
Whats the problem?
"
schlabbe666 wrote:
"
XDementia wrote:
[...] until I discovered endurance charges [...]

That's all there is to a melee. 5+ endurance charges.

+1 to this, makes all the difference.
"
DatGreg wrote:
Moltenshell, endurance charges, granite flask and life leech.
High physical damage 1h axes
Dual strike with faster attacks and cleave
Whats the problem?

I prefer heavy strike and leap slam, but agree with the rest. It does become a chore though as you get to higher difficulties.
I am a little confused by this thread.

I'm only level 59, but I'm in Merciless Act 2 and doing well so far (killed Merveil without deaths, have died once so far in Merciless).

Cleave with added melee and fire dmg, faster attacks, LL and of course LOH (I have a 5L chest) gives me a lot of life per hit and dmg. Viper Strike and cleave/dual strike for boss mobs=their life bar melts before me.

Frenzy and endurance charges for obvious reasons.

Grace aura (iron reflexes makes this awesome) and the lightning dmg one. Only thing I'm missing right now is molten shell, which is a simple trade away.

Yes, we're a little too squishy for my melee tastes (Brutus managed to kill me), but if you're careful it's really not that bad but again, I'm not in A3 yet nor have I fought vaal.

So does it get ridiculously harder in the endgame (I've never done a map) or what?

Hearing all this discouraging news about Duelist is making me not want to level mine. However, there is a Duelist who is level 80+ and in the top 20 in the HC ladders. Someone made it work (whether it's melee or ranged) so it is doable.
The problem is melee sucks in comparison to Ranged. The best melee builds are pretty much ranged variants using Lightning Strike.

All you have to do is roll up a ranged character, and you can see what people are saying.

Not a single thing mentioned here isn't attainable by ranged characters. The only thing most melee MAY have on ranged might be some endurance charges. Defense? No. Lots of ranged take the same Iron reflexes talent, they take most of the same life nodes(they are able to skip some because they dont have ot face tank mobs), and get to generally take more damage nodes which in turn already boost their much higher damage capabilities anyways, esp. since they have far better support gems.

Even the almight endurance charge, is a loss of dps. Not only do you have to spend points in them, they have to be constantly refreshed. Solo you can get by with warlord's mark, which again is a utility/dps loss over range's favorite curses. In a party you are refreshing them every 8-10 seconds more then likely, if using them at all. Everytime you stop to refresh, that is a dps loss, while range just keep pelting away with far higher damage skills.

Try killing packs of anything compared to range. Barrel into a pack of skele's/snakes for them to scatter like roaches and you have to pick them off 1 by 1 ad nauseum.

Melee, and duelists, offer exactly NOTHING over a ranged character. They arent tankier unless you consider block the greatest thing ever invented. Even then, blocking an attack is nowhere near as efficient as simply not being hit by it because of being at range.

This game's power distribution is out of whack. Other games balance range classes' damage capabilities by making them squishier. However, in this game since you all share the same skill tree and the same gear, they are not squishier. Tons of ranged people rock things like IR/UT, huge armor, lots of health nodes, good resists, you name it, they have it too, with the added benefit of being at range and not getting hit; a far better defensive tool then trying to soak/block hits.

Even the Devs realize melee, and duelist in general, are struggling. People who post here how everyone is wrong has apparently never played a ranged character. You can pretty much breeze through the same content on them compared to whacking away with cleave.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info