Man, duelist sucks

"
Destructodave wrote:
Problem is ranged is simply too good. That, and most other melee attacks use ranged based attacks like ground slam, LS, etc.

Cleave just sucks. I use cleave. I'm still at a loss as to why DW cleave has to have such a huge damage penalty. The attack flat out sucks for its return on investment. It is one of the only actual melee aoe's that is Melee. It ought to be a bit better then that. It also has very small range; it ought to do a ass ton of damage for such a small aoe radius.

Also, the main problem is melee doesnt have any good supports like ranged does; unless you use LS and just pretend to be a ranged character.

All ranged attacks are simply better across the board. They do more damage, they ahve better supports, and they are well, ranged.

Also, by nature of the skill trees, ranged have no disadvantages over melee. People, even other duelists using bows, have some percieved notion that this makes them "squishy". They have the same defensive talents I do! How the hell are they any squishier then me? I hear this all the time "I cant get up there, I'm ranged. They kill me." I say, "how much hp you got?" They say, "3300, and 45% armor." I'm like really? Really? How the hell are you any squishier then I am. You aren't.

That is the inherent problem with melee. The skill trees allow these ranged characters to not only be just as tanky and durable, but have the added benefit of doing all their damage from range, and usually that damage is also HIGHER. So why even play melee? There is zero advantages anywhere to being a melee.

One of the only ways I can see this being fixed, is buff melee based skills like cleave; you have to get right up in there, you might as well be rewarded for it by lots of damage. This isn't your normal RPG where the ranged damage is balanced by their lack of survivability. They are just as tanky; therefore they need a drawback somewhere, and melee skills should have a higher Return on Investment.

Also, they could stand to put defensive nodes deep into melee damage nodes. Maybe at the end of the node, where you get your 12 or 15% damage boost, it also gives 50% armor, or some resists. As it stands, Ranged have every access to every defensive node any melee has, which makes them simply better across the board. If you just stick more defensive nodes on the tree willy nilly, ranged can get those too and the balance of power does not change.

Furthermore, melee get stuck having to go all defensive talents. You can't do anything but look at axe and sword nodes and wonder how well they would work, because you have to get all the resist/life/crap you can or you die just trying to play the game. Ranged actually get to get some damage nodes because well, they are ranged and get hit a little less. This also widens the power gap between ranged and melee, they are able to actually use the damage parts of the trees where melee are stuck picking up nothing but life and resists.

Basically, there is no reason to be a melee character unless you just want to struggle. There are no advantages to being one, and zero disadvantages to being a ranged class. This needs to change.

This sums up my feelings exactly. Having to skip all those offensive nodes just to survive... not fun.

Well said.
That's why it's called Path of Ranged Exile... and that's the main reason I said fuck this and went back to my D3 barbarian while planning me ranger build... melee is just pure crap in PoE, devs totally failed on that one 8)
IGN: Seze
Long time i thought poe is a real revelation.

But during the many hours I played now, I recognized the stupid, simple fact, that this game has no real melees.

With my lvl 50 ranger, im only dieing, dieing, dieing.

I played with a friend today, hes playing a marauder.

Srsly, he was doing BY FAR more dmg than me, and didnt even use melee attacks.

ADDITIONALLY, he takes 3 times more what i can take from opponents, if not EVEN MORE.

After that, he told me, he has 1.5k hp. I have 0.7k hp atm......

I think i dont need to mention he has more armor, resistances etc.. -.-

Then he told me he has 850 dps. I have, with difficulty, a bit more than 500 dps.

Then i wondered: Is this a fucking joke??? Hes a melee, who takes more dmg than me, who deals more, and additionally he isnt even a melee =_=

srsly..

And I played duelist a bit too, I can only with all guys in this thread.

GOD, just start and remove LIGHTNING STRIKE from the game. This skill is so absolutely, incredibly imbalanced...

there are many child's sicknesses in poe, but this skill is by far, by far the biggest.

I dont understand that, there was a closed beta, ggg had enough time to nerf this shit skill..
Neurotypicals are the worst thing this planet ever experienced.
Last edited by Schinski on Feb 2, 2013, 4:46:47 PM
It's not melee dps that's imbalanced...dps in quiet good actually... it's inability to deliver that melee combat thrill by absorbing incoming damage and actually letting u stay in a fight for a reasonable amount of time(i'm talking about end game content.. and not some 50-60 lvl experience, cause that ain't even close to end game)... say barb can charge into a group of mobs hacking and slashing his bloody path... and so can demon hunter... but in PoE mob damage is so big that there is no way u can just rush into end game mobs without taking 1000000++ damage in mere seconds. But there's always an option of Ground Slam and Lightning Strike, but that's not melee... they are just ranged attacks with a melee weapon 8)
IGN: Seze
Last edited by _Seze_ on Feb 2, 2013, 5:28:31 PM
Thank you people for voicing out my concerns as well. I was going through the skill list and realized the supports for melee skills sucked. I was thinking of gems that could replace Lightning Strike as I wanted to be a real melee and not pretend to be ranged like what the other guy said but... no I had not found a solution so...

Thank you.
"
Schinski wrote:

GOD, just start and remove LIGHTNING STRIKE from the game. This skill is so absolutely, incredibly imbalanced...

there are many child's sicknesses in poe, but this skill is by far, by far the biggest.

I dont understand that, there was a closed beta, ggg had enough time to nerf this shit skill..

LS??? LS did get nerfed (some would call it fix, whatever), but did you ever see GODSLAM? Permastun aoe godmode, you call LS imbalanced?? If you want unbalanced skill you're looking at wrong place.

One thing is true tho, neither are melee skills at all.

Back on topic, yeah, cleave sucks, claws suck even more tho. Any skill that requires full melee range should outdps ranged ones by a margin imo.
well personally i enjoy melee play... it take more skill than standing and amshing a key...atleast on duelist it does
however when im in party i see how ridicilous range classes can be... the problem is massive aoes n sht... this game actually LAGGS when in party with all theese spammers.

for duelist i feel the problem is...lack of hp and resistances.... i have to abandon the logical way of skilling up and waste points to reach some far point of the tree just to get a bit of hp and resistance which instead should be goin into my damage nodes not +10s. and even then the defense is just pathethic. cant even get 2k hp w/o goin completely out of my way.and for resistances...to get good resistances for merciless would need every single gear piece with atleast x2 res.... which is silly...especially @lv ~60. maybe at 80+ that would make sense couse then u should be having very well made pieces
I do want to remind people that there are still a lot of skill gems to be added to the game. This isnt me saying to not voice your opinions because the only way future gems will improve will be for us to communicate the issue. I am just letting you know that this is still the beta and there is a lot of improvement to be done. Do not give up hope :-)
IGN JimansNotSummoner
Don't use Cleave, use Leap Slam, IMO.

You get mobility (gtfo if you need to) and true AoE. And you get to feel like a melee. It does plenty good damage, too. Leap around in triangles and projectiles don't hit, most melee mobs can barely get hits in.

Only problem is that it causes the desync problem to get worse because of leaping all over the place.
IGN = Warlyik
Honestly, maybe melee Duelist suck, but I am currently lvl 59 Blood/Iron Grip Bow duelist, and I am loving it. Incredible DPS, with a life on hit gem, and the cold buff, i tear through mobs like crazy and they can't even actually get near me because they get constantly slowed or frozen. And Ranged to me at least, are incredibly easy to avoid their projectiles just by clicking to the side and than going back to shooting. I mean, I know i am not late game yet, but so far I am loving it. Maybe once I reach 70 than I'll rethink this opinion, but who knows.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info