Man, duelist sucks

I agree melee is way weaker than ranged. There is no good passive in the bottom of the duelist starting point to help.

The thing about dodging as a duelist is that you are way closer to enemies than a ranger. You have to dodge way more often than a ranger has to.

I think there should be a way to dump dexterity into something else.

I also think there should be some good passives for melee users in the center. It should be a real sweet spot.
As bad as the state of melee is, and as bad as duelists are at it in comparison to templars and marauders, they really still suffer on the ranged end just as much in comparison to the other classes.

Yeah an archer duelist can get some crazy combination of keystones at level 30. And guess what, so can everyone else it just might take a little longer. Merciless won't respect you anymore because you got it a few levels earlier. After all those other classes weren't sitting on their hands going through a starting node island that seemed to be designed with the motto "Less taste, more filling!"

Melee needs to be buffed certainly. But duelists, even archer duelists need to be buffed as well. Moreover I'd like them to get a generalist or survivability path akin to what most other classes get. Having a 1h path and a dw path is completely superfluous and needlessly hobbles the versatility of the class. An hp path or a trapper/totem path would be so much more useful.
Last edited by Seldom on Feb 23, 2013, 12:49:41 AM
"
HonkHonkBeep wrote:
Well I've got a level 70 DW duelist and I have no trouble with anything MOSTLY. I 100% agree that ranged IS stronger than melee but at the same time I don't feel like my DPS is any worse or anything. I've also got an 80 shadow, point being that I have experience with all levels of play in PoE and am not just theorycrafting about ability to handle maps etc.

The biggest issue with melee vs ranged is that mobs are strong as balls in PoE. You can max armor and hp and still get instagibbed by pretty much any boss. Also, even trash mobs can eventually kill you; even like 20k armor and 6k hp with 500 hp/sec regen doesn't let you live indefinitely vs a big group of trash hobos in Merciless act 1 if you were to just sit there and let them hit you. I'm not advocating new balance allowing for faceroll/facetanking, just pointing out that the scaling is somewhat off because you'd expect to be able to just sit and tank some trash 30 levels under you forever.

Obviously, ranged heros don't get hit anywhere near as often, and many of the strongest biggest damage dealers don't get in range of ranged heros, like firedogs, or brutus-boss-slam, etc.

My DW duelist does 7k DPS with dual-wield cleave, has 3.5k hp, maxed resistances, about 6k armor. Another thing about PoE is that armor/evasion suck regardless of which you think is better because HP is king and mobs do huge damage no matter what defense stat you go. So while it's certainly possible and actually quite easy to get 20k+ armor (I get 40k if I pop a granite + molten shell on my shadow due to huge dexterity bonus + Iron Reflexes + Grace aura, even without wearing great gear), it's pointless. After 5-6k armor there's no reason to increase it cause the returns don't scale well enough. Same for evasion. All that matters is a base-line 5-6k evasion/armor and then TONS of HP to survive whatever damage comes through. And obviously, for melee, that damage is >>> what ranged heros take.

Not true for evasion..if you have 7.5k+ Eva, you can fav tank merciless Brutus and bandits
let's not talk here about anything less then lvl 60. a3 merc is where it starts to get retarded.
IGN: Seze

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info