Rebalancing Internal Unique Item Rarities (Locked June 16)

"
Worldbreaker wrote:
Seriously... no one will ever understand where I am coming from...

I understand where you are coming from, I just don't agree with it.

And your analogy sucks, because kids don't value Christmas gifts by the virtue of their monetary worth. But let's work with the console example. Chris' (and the people who agree with the change) thinking is that most children currently mostly get shit like GBAs and Gamecubes, old machines they would rather hand down to their 5-year old nephew or something. With this change they don't get an ipod and a fucking bike, they get an XBOX/ONE *and* a PS3/4. Of course the kick ass 4k Resolution Gaming PC (PC Master Race, yo) is still some distance away.

This doesn't mean that the gifts are inherently less valuable, because guess what, the machines are for playing with, not selling. And when you get "extras" you'll be able to work towards that monster rig even as you sell each individual machine for less.

---

Also, this isn't a drop rate buff. They are going to be updating the drop rates because a lot of uniques have been introduced since April of last year, but that's routine. This makes it more likely that you'll get The Three Dragons instead of your 50th Ezomyte Peak, not that you'll get 100 items instead of 50.
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
Last edited by ephetat on May 16, 2014, 9:38:11 AM
"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
In other words you want this to be a slippery slope where they end up catering to casual scrubs.

I only hear the term "casual scrubs" from young males who play video games to compensate for their low self esteem issues. Most people play video games for fun, they are meaningless for anything else unless they have a skill component (PoE doesn't, at least not when it comes to gear).

FINDING items is more fun than BUYING them. There is nothing hard about playing endless hours, turning in rares for chaos, and then buying an item. That's like a factory job, not like a recreational activity. Or they just obtain it in other ways, which seems to be what some of the "pro gamers" are doing. It's not the casual crowd who makes that business so lucrative.

These changes may make it more viable to actually find your stuff instead of trading for it (at least the uncommon tier). And no, I don't want this to end in a situation where you find three Kaom's Hearts every two weeks. That wouldn't be fun, either. What I do hope is for middle ground. Not the current system where you find the same ten low level uniques over and over, but never see anything that you'll wear late game. And not a system where you find a top end unique every other day, either. I'd like to win now and then, and not only once every fifty years or never.

It doesn't have to be black or white, all or nothing, and GGG finally seems to realize that, too. It's a smart decision that will positively affect the retention rate.
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD ,,SO FUCKING HYPED CANT WAIT
Good change +1
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
Really tremendous. I absolutely love the uncommon and rare tiers of uniques, but I don't grind maps hard enough to regularly find or buy them (too busy making new characters). Making them up to twice as common will be a great way to make them more achievable to players. Should improve the economy too, since the market's not going to be as heavily flooded by twink uniques, and the price gap between something like Stone of Lazhwar and Bino's will be less supermassive (more reasonably substantial).

One of the few pieces I have been lucky enough to find is a Rise of the Pheonix - I think it's time I finally made a RF farming build.
Last edited by ComradBlack on May 16, 2014, 9:56:15 AM
Great, maybe i can find shavs sometime instead of my 111th infernal mantle(doubt it though).
"Axe bad! Fix please!"
"
ephetat wrote:
"
Worldbreaker wrote:

And your analogy sucks, because kids don't value Christmas gifts by the virtue of their monetary worth. But let's work with the console example. Chris' (and the people who agree with the change) thinking is that most children currently mostly get shit like GBAs and Gamecubes, old machines they would rather hand down to their 5-year old nephew or something. With this change they don't get an ipod and a fucking bike, they get an XBOX/ONE *and* a PS3/4. Of course the kick ass 4k Resolution Gaming PC (PC Master Race, yo) is still some distance away.

This doesn't mean that the gifts are inherently less valuable, because guess what, the machines are for playing with, not selling. And when you get "extras" you'll be able to work towards that monster rig even as you sell each individual machine for less.

---

Also, this isn't a drop rate buff. They are going to be updating the drop rates because a lot of uniques have been introduced since April of last year, but that's routine. This makes it more likely that you'll get The Three Dragons instead of your 50th Ezomyte Peak, not that you'll get 100 items instead of 50.

Yea, given your analogy you still don't see where I am coming from, but it doesn't matter you are already on board with the change.

Quality > Quantity is what it boils down to.

The reason people hate Crest of Perandus dropping will be the reason people end up hating Eye of Chaylua, Perandus Signets.. It is just moving the curve.
"
Worldbreaker wrote:
"
ephetat wrote:
"
Worldbreaker wrote:

---

Yea, given your analogy you still don't see where I am coming from, but it doesn't matter you are already on board with the change.

Quality > Quantity is what it boils down to.

The reason people hate Crest of Perandus dropping will be the reason people end up hating Eye of Chaylua, Perandus Signets.. It is just moving the curve.

You fail to explain why this is such a bad thing though.

All I see is that the uniques that drop have more variety in them and the chance that they might be of use to you is increased by a lot.

It's not like it's gonna be worse this way. The only thing that'll change is the cost of those items that drop more.
Last edited by shumped on May 16, 2014, 10:02:52 AM
It's better than nothing, but I think the end game character progression is still too dependent on RNG. We need some liner character progression even in the end game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info