[1.2.0 updated] Dauemannen's Mjölner build - Facetank Everything

Possible 1.2.0 builds

Actually looks a lot better after some tweaking than it did at first glance. Needs a bit more strength from gear than before. For a lot of nodes we can choose between 5% life or increased damage.

IMO the best option until the mid 90s.

Not a lot worse, and not worth rerolling if you already have a high level witch.

IMO the best when you're level 95+, but also needs that level to work properly.

For all hybrid builds we still need 3G3R, which is near impossible to get on a pure int chest, so we'll want a Saintly or Carnal.

I'll be playing the new challenge leagues, where I naturally can't afford a Mjölner, at least for a while. So I'll not be able to test this build properly. But if anyone has feedback it's very welcome.

Last edited by Dauemannen on Aug 19, 2014, 8:46:17 AM
Old first post (needed to split into two because it's too long)

This is my first time sharing a build, so you'll have to excuse the probably bad quality of the guide. But it will get better.

The goal of this build is to utilize the insane damage of Mjölner to dedicate almost the entire passive tree to improve my defences. The result is a build that can facetank almost any enemy and ignore most of the game's damage mechanics. It achieves this through capped block and spell block, a relatively big effective life pool from from Cloak of Defiance's mind over matter, and lots of life and mana on hit.

The build's main pros and cons are

Pros
- Awesome DPS against packs and very good damage versus rares and bosses result in very good clear speed
- 77% block and up to 75% spell block means we very rarely get hit. Add in Blind for good measure
- Can do any map mod and probably any combination of mods, but some combinations will kill the unattentive player
- Can facetank all the map bosses with ease, though some mods might make some bosses dangerous
- Only takes half effect from curses

Cons
- Mjölner is quite expensive (but the rest of the gear doesn't have to be)
- The build is weak against degens, especially Corrupting Blood
- Elemental reflect coupled with "of exposure" can be deadly if you attack too many enemies at once
- Needs a lot of passive points to work properly, probably a bit past level 80

Passive Tree

My current tree at level 91
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAdwHYwj0C2EM9xEtGS4ZhRoyGmwdFCQ8JKonLyepJ-0oxSycLR826TwtRKtFnUd-SVFMNU99UWBT31WuVcZXK1jbWfNabV4TXz9gS2EhZU1mnmebbRluaXB9cqlzU3TteA15A3loeqp673yDfNl-WX_GgFaCEIIehNmE746-j0aPppBVksGa4KC0oqOkrKcIp1yplayqrK-4k7yfvoq-p8AawFTBBMHzw4bEFcS4xPbN-s9l0NDUj9X42t3bC9-w4urjauOf5FHnkenV6-7vDvIv8wbzvvPd-tL7qg==
Add and suptract +30 to attribute nodes and +8% life nodes depending on your gear and level.

Bandits
Normal: help Oak
Cruel: kill all (helping Kraityn might be better at level 100)
Merciless: kill all

Leveling
I started using Mjölner around level 88 having respecced from an Incinerate build, so I can't give a lot of tips on leveling. You should be able to get some attributes on gear to free your passive points, and wait with getting some of the non-essential uniques but I will not make a detailed leveling guide yet, maybe later.

Gear

Self explanatory, the heart of the build.

The most important part here is the spell block. You'll be wanting a perfect 60% to get 75% spell block. The other rolls are also important, adding more damage and mana.

This is obviously mostly for the mind over matter. It also gives a decent amount of mana. the 6 link is not needed, it works fine with a 5L or even 4L.

Together with Rathpith this is where we get our spell block. Also comes with nice resists and mana.

Needed to get to the block cap without wasting a tonne of passive points. The life and mana on block also improve our survivability massively. Mine is corrupted with lightning damage leech, which adds a lot of survivability. But it works great with a normal Anvil.

The most important part is the life and especially mana on hit. The resists and reduced curse effect are also nice. We sacrifice a lot for this ring in terms of life, attributes and mana regen, but once you can get all your attributes and a decent life pool with it this is better.

Use the three remaining slots to get all the resists and attributes you still need, while getting so much life and energy shield (especially on the circlet) as possible.

Skill gems

Chest
There are three skills which work great with Mjölner. Molten Strike, Cyclone and Lightning Strike
Cyclone
+ Best single target DPS
+ Good AoE DPS
- Uncontrollable and prone to desync with multistrike
Links: Cyclone + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Life on Hit (+ Blind)

Lightning Strike
+ Best AoE DPS
+ Ranged
+ Good against spread out mobs
- Terrible single target DPS
Links: Lightning Strike + Multistrike + GMP + Chain + (Life on Hit + Faster Attacks/Blind)

Molten Strike
+ Good DPS both single target and ranged
- Slight delay before firing Arcs
Links: Molten Strike + Multistrike + GMP + Faster Attacks + (Life on Hit + Blind)

I mostly use Molten Strike because it's good against everything, but the others have their merits. On very easy maps where life on hit and blind are not needed we an use Lightning Strike with Cyclone or Molten Strike in the same link.

Mjölner
Arc + Arc + Lightning penetration

Apart from that it's
Shield: Lighting Warp + Faster Casting + Reduced Duration

Auras: Clarity + Purity of Fire/lightning/Elements

Arctic Armour

Cast when damage taken (low lvl) + Enduring Cry + Enfeelbe/Elmental Weakness

cast when damage taken (high lvl) + Immortal Call + Increased Duration

Videos

Precinct map showcasing a gem setup that sacrifices survivability for clear speed
http://youtu.be/cwu2HmbmJr8

Shrine map with the above gem setup
http://youtu.be/mD1WAJlIcII

new Atziri run with improvements from the last one
http://youtu.be/0cB7jQnMQXk

8 affix Palace map with Domunus facetank
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVK9YpALN-c

The entire Atziri map solo, 0 deaths
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQ7xIFDg68

Me and a friend using a similar build facetanking Atziri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZIzfT55wB8
Last edited by Dauemannen on Aug 19, 2014, 8:30:11 AM
Awesome build! waiting to see uber video =D
"
siclop19 wrote:
Awesome build! waiting to see uber video =D

Thanks, much appreciated. But I doubt I'll be able to do über Atziri with this build. It's mainly the second boss set that stops me. In the video you can see I almost die with only one boss left. I might be able to dodge the enrage or kill another boss last, but I'm not sure that would be good enough. Atziri herself should probably be fine with Saffell's frame. (I'm using Rathpith globe for the entire run now.)

Also I'm broke at the moment. :(
I love your gameplay ♫

If you are free, make more video of your plays
I Love This Game Now, Being a Summoner Hardly Associated with Desync ♫

♥ ♥ ♥ My Shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/887292 ♥ ♥ ♥
☻ ☻ ☻ Downfall of Zombie and Spectre in 1.2 Patch ☻ ☻ ☻
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1019959
Thanks.

I'm planning to make some videos where I do some crazy 8 affix maps and difficult bosses, but at the moment I'm mostly doing Atziri runs, and I've already uploaded those. Is there anything specific you'd like to see?
As per your somewhat vague request, I added a video of the Palace map with 8 affixes and facetanking Dominus. You can find it the "Videos" spoiler of the OP, or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVK9YpALN-c
Where drop Mjolner?
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of response. Am I missing anything? Judging by the quality of this build compared to others I was expecting a lot more responses. Is it too expensive compared to the clear speed? Should I have done a better job with the guide? (Better explanations, some pretty pictures and nicer formatting, etc)
Last edited by Dauemannen on May 28, 2014, 2:33:32 AM
You have done an amazing job with the guide. However, not everyone can afford that hammer. Check the price, easily over 100 exalts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info