[1.2.0 updated] Dauemannen's Mjölner build - Facetank Everything

"
Dauemannen wrote:
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of response. Am I missing anything? Judging by the quality of this build compared to others I was expecting a lot more responses. Is it too expensive compared to the clear speed? Should I have done a better job with the guide? (Better explanations, some pretty pictures and nicer formatting, etc)
Probably because this is not a "build". Like you said, you're literally using the hammer (with mediocre links) to do the damage with 2 of the most popular melee skills (Molten Strike and Cyclone) while throwing the rest of the points into defenses. Neither your DPS or your defenses are very impressive either. Kill speed is very mediocre, while 4k HP, even with mom and block is not impressive or "tanky".

For example, this Mjolner build was created before you, is much better optmized and more efficient in almost every way.

Not trying to troll you, but it's probably why you're not getting the response you're looking for. gl and hf :)
I appreciate your comment but I'll have to respectfully disagree.

The point of this build is, as the thread title suggests, to facetank everything. I don't think you really understand how tanky it is. Yes it has only 4200 life + MoM, but that's effectively up to 7000 depending on my mana. Block cap and blind means I practically never get hit by attacks, and very rarely by spells. 81 life on hit means about 1500 per second even single target (suppose it gets hit by 4 out of 7 projectiles with Molten Strike), so when I get hit I'm back to max life in a second or two.

I have even face tanked double boss crematorium with reduced max resits.

And when it comes to map mods I can do literally anything while still maintaining clear speed. The only really bad combination is reflection and max resist reduction, where I can kill myself if i go all out against huge packs.

The clear speed isn't that bad either. The build you linked did Palace in 6 minutes. My video takes 10 minutes but has much harder mods and also chilled ground. I lose at least least one minute to him on Dominus, who by the way has an unusually large life pool, and I have mediocre single target DPS. I might realistically take 40% more time than him on an average map. And he uses Shavronne's and a standard only unique.

The reason I don't have more DPS is it's not needed. Packs die in a matter of seconds and most bosses in 10-20 seconds. I do "enough" damage and I don't really need any more. So I spent the rest of my passive points improving my defences to very high levels. I don't want to worry about getting killed by reflect or watch out for map mods that are hard or impossible. With those goals this is the best build I've seen so far.

Oh, and exactly what do you mean with "mediocre links"?
Man your build looks awsome!

and i love your guide! keep it up

now to get the currency to buy that hammer or hope i get insanely lucky with drops

Relord
I've had my hammer for about a week, and I've tried most other Ambush-viable builds out there (the Rainbow nuke video linked above is not an option because I don't have 300 exalt and I'm not in Standard...)

I'm going to give yours a try and see how it goes. I've always enjoyed playing really tanky chars.

Do you think it would be worth sacrificing some of your block (maybe even the amulet) for more life? It seems you have plenty of regeneration through the LGOH gem and your ring. Or would that hurt your mana regen too much?
The Endless Retch: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655814
If you're relatively low level (around 80) you should probably wait with some of the block. It's more important to get a decent life pool. But once you're up to maybe 3500 you should focus on block. Especially the spell block increases my survivability by a lot against dangerous casters, which are pretty much all the high end bosses. And it also helps a lot against reflect. The life and mana on block also help a lot. I have killed myself in exposure reflect maps and that's similar to a normal reflect map with 50% spell block. The tricky part is that the LGoH comes before the damage and if you have 50 arcs chaining between damage that's a lot of reflect damage.

An alternative to the Anvil could be to use Stone of Lazhwar to reach the spell block cap at the expense of normal block. In fact it's probably a very good idea.

You could also wait with the Thief's Torment and get some life, attributes, resist and regen on your rings. But no regen half recovery maps will be harder. Use a mana flask or two to counteract that.
Last edited by Dauemannen on May 28, 2014, 7:57:26 PM
I see your point. I think it's best to stick with the anvil. I just wish there were a way to boost my max life pool a bit more.

Even so, I'm liking the build so far!
The Endless Retch: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655814
Well, there are lots of ways. The most obvious as I said is to get rid of Thief's Torment. You'll get about 150 base life and maybe free up some passive pints (with attributes) for life nodes. But you'll have mana problems on no regen and half recovery maps.

And you don't really need more life than I have right now. I can easily tank a Vaal smash or a "touch of God" from Dominus.
Hi again. I added a few new videos. Two of them showcase a better farming setup, while the final one shows some improvements I've done to my Atziri runs.

Spoiler

Precinct map showcasing a gem setup that sacrifices survivability for clear speed
http://youtu.be/cwu2HmbmJr8

Shrine map with the above gem setup
http://youtu.be/mD1WAJlIcII

new Atziri run with improvements from the last one
http://youtu.be/0cB7jQnMQXk

The first is to thank you for sharing your build
My Mjolner dropped me in City of Sarn ... I was stunned when I threw a rare enemy
I love your build is balanced in damage and survival.
The I have copied entirely, but I'm level 74 and I have a long way to improve the lives and block
My cloak is 5L6S, but not get 3 Shockets network, so I lose the LoHG from the molten strike
Please post any improvements you can think and work in your build ..
Greetings from Spain
I'm glad you like my build.

With a 5L I would use Cyclone more. It gains nothing more from a 6L, but the desync can be terrible. But if you can live with that it's very good. I find the desync is worse on indoor maps than open outdoor maps.

How do you manage the attribute requirements (412 str, 300 int) on level 74?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info