Salvaging CI - Suggestions open to discussion

What about physical damage reflection, like 10 or 15%, to lessen the effect of melee stuns on a low health pool? I don't think CI should be a skill that's automatically taken by every caster, but neither should it be a one-skill wonder. EE feels like a skill to automatically take now, and AB and CI have been tuned to be very specific. It might be for the sake of 'balance' but in my opinion it feels arbitrarily build-restricting. Nodes should be general augments useful for builds, not a passive that aggressively dictates a build.

It would be like blood magic required everyone who takes it to use sweep as their primary means of damage. I can only think of a few specific builds that use frenzy charges and CI and there's no reason to use CI outside of specific builds and items. It's not a very appealing node any more but it still surrounded by other appealing nodes, and the position of Zealot's Oath is just weird to me. I don't know how to make CI a wider option for more builds without upsetting the people who think that someone who has perfect gear to maximize stats 99% of the playerbase will never see (in CB I never got ES much past 1400) is super game-breakingly OP. Hopefully GGG thinks of something because CI should be more universally useful imo.
Well, the idea is to balance the damage mitigation so it would not be OP. The x would be based on how OP is would be with it on. If block is a problem make x a high value. If evasion is not , give it a low value. Thus a player would not be able to have their cake and eat it too.

On the other hand, a player who is willing to give up other damage mitigation methods can get the high ES they wanted.

"
FateAnomaly wrote:
Well, the idea is to balance the damage mitigation so it would not be OP. The x would be based on how OP is would be with it on. If block is a problem make x a high value. If evasion is not , give it a low value. Thus a player would not be able to have their cake and eat it too.

Evasion wouldn't be used at all, so it would be giving up nothing; dex builds would just wear the pure ES armour pieces. The only way to make people not auto-include it is to have it provide less to the ending ES than a normal ES notable. Like 10% increased, might not take it then. Would take almost any value of more.

The others would just be spreadsheeted based off the values you give, based off some EHP calculator, it wouldn't be fun or interesting at all.

Please stop trying to add "more ES" back onto CI. CI should be about giving up your red life for a limited benefit, not trading it for blue life.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 4, 2013, 2:44:01 AM
Here's my CI buff suggestion.

"Immune to chaos damage.

Your maximum health becomes 10."

:o
i thought about CI in CB and now in OB i'm again using it.

i think these are the fixes needed:

"Chaos Inoculation:
Maximum Life becomes 1, Immune to Chaos Damage. Energy Shield is used instead of Life for status effect resistance and duration"

Also due to the HEAVY nerfes that there have been on ES armors, and on the +50% ES on CI,
we do NEED some other way to get ES.
i go around with 2.7k ES at level 68, a puncture 50% of times = death, most bosses onehit me with heavy attacks (like brutus)

Tried to enchant, but can't have good effect, mods have been nerfed to hell and to have decent armors we do need iLvl 75 items (which are stil VERY VERY rare as they requrie map level 73 for a minimum)

we do Need some additional nodes. i took all the nodes of Templar, Witch, and Shadow.

Add it they nerfed Discipline to crap level, es armors and CI at the same time, they did too much and the actual game doesn't let you to build effectively via ES and via CI.

CI will never be viable in HC, but it's barely viable in SC.

solution: add the equivalent of multiplicative 50% as additional nodes linked ONLY to CI (so you have to forfeit life to get them and spend additional passives)
Last edited by sirianstar on Feb 4, 2013, 11:05:18 AM
"
aimlessgun wrote:

"Immune to chaos damage.

900% more life?!?!?!?!

Clearly OP. ;)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
(1)
"
aimlessgun wrote:

"Immune to chaos damage.

I thougth about quite a similar solution (maximum health becomes 3) - but increasing CI health (ever so slightly) does seem to me like any survivability issues would only be dealt with indirectly - by greatly increasing a CI builds potential dps.

(2)Additionally I'd consider 10 maximum health to (potentially) be overpowered: Not only would one be able to utilize a "On low health" build with several Blood Magic gemmed auras, Pain Attunement and Blood Rage (also: Uniques), but could maintain Righteous Fire at the same time (only dealing small amounts of constant damage to one's Energy Shield), significantly increasing Spell Damage.

-> I believe a maximum of 3 health to be a more reasonable amount, since reserving enough health to lower one's active health below 35% would render using Righteous Fire impossible - which cannot be used with only 1 health left. Might still be op.

- Please do correct me, if there are any mechanics regarding this matter I may have misrepresented.
[The Prison] Crawl a text-based dungeon - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/26299
Last edited by Azhubham on Feb 4, 2013, 1:46:20 PM
"
Azhubham wrote:

-> I believe a maximum of 3 health to be a more reasonable amount, since reserving enough health to lower one's active health below 35% would render using Righteous Fire impossible - which cannot be used with only 1 health left. Might still be op.

Ah, forgot about RF. Yeah, RF + PA for little cost would be ridiculous.
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
Azhubham wrote:

Ah, forgot about RF. Yeah, RF + PA for little cost would be ridiculous.

Well... not really, it would just be a +30% spell power boost and your shield wouldn't regenerate until you reached 1 hp and dealing no damage to anyone around you.

But increasing HP of CI to 3 or 10 would be a very interesting way to make it more viable, but i'm not sure which auras are % Based, is discpline? Wouldn't that just be like an ES boost in the first place?
Having more than 1 life with CI would mean having Blood Magic supported auras that reserve percentages at little to no expense. That would be a little too advantageous. 10 life would mean you could have up to 90% reserved cost in auras supported by blood magic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info