Any Hearthstone players out there?

noooooo!!! :( I had to jinx it..

"
Today Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS), filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington against Cryptozoic Entertainment, LLC and its alter ego, Hex Entertainment, LLC (collectively, "Cryptozoic"), for willful infringement of intellectual property rights.

Cryptozoic develops and publishes the digital trading card game, Hex: Shards of Fate, a clone of the world famous tabletop collectable trading card game, Magic: The Gathering®, and its digital expressions, Magic Online® and the Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers® franchise.

"Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast vigorously protect our intellectual property. This infringement suit against Cryptozoic demonstrates that while we appreciate a robust and thriving trading card game industry, we will not permit the misappropriation of our intellectual property" said Barbara Finigan, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Hasbro. "We attempted to resolve this issue, but Cryptozoic was unwilling to settle the matter."

The suit includes claims for copyright, patent and trade dress infringement

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on May 14, 2014, 7:32:08 PM
I like Hearthstone quite a bit. It's kind of funny, because although I like my ARPGs hardcore (and thus shy away from the casual Diablo 3), when the exact same relationship is established in digital card games — in this case, between Magic Online and Hearthstone — I have no problem immersing myself in the casual option.

As a side note, I think there's definitely a market for something which offers a more hardcore experience than Hearthstone, while somehow avoiding the nightmarish UI issues of Magic Online.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 14, 2014, 8:44:00 PM
"
...I didn't know Hasbro owned WOTC now. Wow.

...So WOTC acquired TSR, and now Hasbro owns WOTC...

So technically, they could do a Transformers x My Little Pony x Dragonlance mtg expansion.

...thehorror.

ya been awhile now .sadface. I felt just as crushed when wotc bought tsr

Edit; I also just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Last edited by TheWretch on May 14, 2014, 10:43:44 PM
The little guys are fighting back!!

https://hextcg.com/official-legal-statement/

Here's a snippet, full text below

"
As a small company, the daunting task of defending ourselves from the bullying of a much larger corporation is difficult, but we are committed to HEX: Shards of Fate and ultimately we will prevail.

We respect intellectual property rights, but the right to make a TCG is not exclusive to WOTC. Many TCGs can, and do, coexist consistent with any IP rights WOTC might have

Spoiler
Official Legal Statement

May 19, 2014

As you may be aware, Wizards of the Coast recently filed a lawsuit against Cryptozoic Entertainment, LLC and Hex Entertainment, LLC in the Western District of Washington. The complaint alleges various similarities between HEX: Shards of Fate and Magic: The Gathering.

Although we take all pending litigation seriously, we do not find any merit to the allegations in the complaint. We do not expect this frivolous legal action to impact our efforts to deliver a compelling and entertaining game experience to our customers.

HEX: Shards of Fate is a digital only MMO-TCG that attempts to innovate what a digital trading card game can be. Its digital only nature allows it to push the boundaries in ways a traditional paper TCG never could. As a small company, the daunting task of defending ourselves from the bullying of a much larger corporation is difficult, but we are committed to HEX: Shards of Fate and ultimately we will prevail.

We respect intellectual property rights, but the right to make a TCG is not exclusive to WOTC. Many TCGs can, and do, coexist consistent with any IP rights WOTC might have. While IP rights are important, so is fair competition. WOTC cannot snuff out fair competition with frivolous infringement assertions.

Further, we ask that you respect the duties and obligations of the HEX team members during this time. Any questions or comments should be directed to legal@hextcg.com. All inquiries will be read but please understand that because of the nature of this matter, not all questions can be responded to at this time.

-The HEX Team
Infinity (tabletop) is pretty bomb! we have a ginormous setup at our house! I have Hearthstone for the ipad- Hearth on the go, ftw.
POE is life. POE is ♥.
Someone hop on lackeyccg and play some magic with me. The current competition is too weak.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Yeha! I play HS! It is very cool and free :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info