[2.0] THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: DO ALL MAPS, UBER ATZIRI, AND EXPLOSIONS!

Hey everybody!

I've been playing a life based Mjölner build for some time now and as my gear improves I start thinking about going LL. Now I've got a couple of questions on that matter, which I hope some of you guys would care to answer.

1. What are the differences between Life and LL and what does LL do better or worse? (i.e. you state that reflect must be approached with care whilst I can blindly run into reflect packs or maps without even noticing with the life-version)
2. What do I absolutely need for this build? Items? Gems? (apart from Mjölner, Voll's and Romira's that is)
3. Can I do without Acuity?
4. How do you sustain without Vaal Pact?

That being said, I should mention that going LL is especially a question of budget. Claimin not being "rich" when running a Mjölner build has been called ridiculous many times, but lets just say I don't exacly have mirrored gear.
So I'd have to work on this bit by bit and therefore it would be of interest to me, in what order I'm supposed to go at that and at what point I can actually start running this build.
Last edited by BundesHeinz on Jun 27, 2015, 8:33:50 AM
"
BundesHeinz wrote:
Hey everybody!

I've been playing a life based Mjölner build for some time now and as my gear improves I start thinking about going LL. Now I've got a couple of questions on that matter, which I hope some of you guys would care to answer.

1. What are the differences between Life and LL and what does LL do better or worse? (i.e. you state that reflect must be approached with care whilst I can blindly run into reflect packs or maps without even noticing with the life-version)
2. What do I absolutely need for this build? Items? Gems? (apart from Mjölner, Voll's and Romira's that is)
3. Can I do without Acuity?
4. How do you sustain without Vaal Pact?

That being said, I should mention that going LL is especially a question of budget. Claimin not being "rich" when running a Mjölner build has been called ridiculous many times, but lets just say I don't exacly have mirrored gear.
So I'd have to work on this bit by bit and therefore it would be of interest to me, in what order I'm supposed to go at that and at what point I can actually start running this build.

1. At lower level maps you aren't affected as much by reflect, but when you start hitting the higher level maps it WILL kill you. Unless you're packing some serious +max resists you will want to be very careful around reflect and pick and choose how you fight it. It's also not bad when you have a few targets, but when more and more are affected by the elemental reflect aura, or heaven forbid you're doing an elemental reflect map, then your life is going to plummet like a stone.

Low-life is an energy shield based build style compared to life, and you're going to need the 'Unwavering Stance' keystone to ensure that you do not get stunned to death since stuns will be based on how much life you have. Even with ES's inherent 50% chance to avoid being stunned, you can and will get stunned to death, so US ensures that won't happen as you're fighting. Low-life also runs on the Blood Magic/Mortal Conviction keystone cluster so all of your auras will be reserved on your life pool. This along with the massively reduced cost of auras from it and skill tree setup will allow you to run far more auras than you ever could on a life build and you can also take advantage of the 'Pain Attunement' Keystone. That gives you a permanent 30% more damage multiplier since you're always on low-life.

Since LL is ES-based that means your passive tree setup is obviously going to be different than life, and there are plenty of examples in the thread to help you out with seeing the differences and getting an idea of how you'll want to setup your tree. :)

2. If you're wanting to transition into low-life then you either need the 'Solaris Lorica' chest plate, or 'Shavronne's Wrappings' as both offer you the important mod "Chaos Damage does not bypass energy shield". Running low-life means you are extremely vulnerable to chaos damage since it normally bypasses ES, but these two chest pieces will make sure that the damage is taken from your ES first, thus protecting your low life pool. You could also in theory stack A LOT of Chaos Resist, but most tend not to as even high CR won't protect you from some mobs and degens that can output high CD so fast that you won't have adequate time to react.

While maybe not absolutely needed now (though likely will be come the 2.0 patch) the unique ring 'Shavronne's Revelation' is highly recommended. It gives you a passive 4% ES regen at all times, which helps to counter Blood Rage's degen and allows your ES to keep recharging when you're not leeching it back. Not to mention it offers a decent amount of ES on its own as well as a big chunk of Intelligence, so that means a few more ES%, and every little bit helps.

3. This build is primarily run with the 'Resolute Technique' keystone, which means that you'll hit 100% of the time, but never deal critical strikes. Atziri's Acuity gloves rely on crit to prov its leech effect, so this style of build gains zero benefit from the gloves. You're better off using another pair of rare gloves that offers high ES and resists, or potentially a unique pair like Meginord's Vise for the additional 100 Strength they grant, or even a pair of Doedre's Tenure which offer a nice spell damage boost, and could even be corrupted to have 'Elemental Weakness On Hit' if you want to try a double curse setup.

4. To sustain without VP you usually use the lightning variant of the Dory's belt combined with the Ghost Reaver keystone so that lightning leech will apply to filling your ES instead of life. You can also link Arc/Discharge with a Life Leech gem on harder maps/bosses if you're worried about needing extra leech. Not going VP also allows you to have just a little bit of life regen from the passive tree to sustain your attacks since you're running everything off of Blood Magic.

As far as running the buid on LL, you generally will want:

- Mjölner
- Romira's
- Voll's
- Shav's/Solaris
- Shav's Revelation

Before you start to consider going LL. For the rest of your gear you're going to want to focus on good ES pieces, especially the shield, which can also get spell damage on it, and will generally be a big boost to your defenses. After that focus on getting good ES boots with solid movement speed on them and then gloves. You can also use these pieces to fill in any additional Strength rolls to help you meet the requirements for wielding Mjölner and then go from there.
Last edited by Tanakeah on Jun 27, 2015, 10:01:49 AM
Thanks for the detailed answer! So am I trading survivability for damage, is that it?
Would you advise not to take VP for the stated reasons or is it just not necessary?

Basically this means as soon as i get my hands on a 6L Wrappings and a Revelation, I'm good to go LL, right? Are there any noteworthy gems that I would need? I saw someone here run a lvl3 Enhance for example.
Last edited by BundesHeinz on Jun 27, 2015, 1:56:57 PM
"
BundesHeinz wrote:
Thanks for the detailed answer! So am I trading survivability for damage, is that it?
Would you advise not to take VP for the stated reasons or is it just not necessary?

Basically this means as soon as i get my hands on a 6L Wrappings and a Revelation, I'm good to go LL, right? Are there any noteworthy gems that I would need? I saw someone here run a lvl3 Enhance for example.

Depends on the gear you can get, but LL can actually be more survivable than life if you build it right. Vaal Pact is going to be getting its position moved on the tree as it already is in the beta, so if you want it now, it's going to be tougher to get in the future. For reference, here's the current tree in the beta: http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/

Getting the gear together is one thing, but the build itself has some nuances that differ from the life variant, but if you're practiced enough in it, then it shouldn't be too much of an adjustment to get used to. Higher level Enhance/Empower gems are used by people who prefer putting their Purity auras into the 6L Shavs and using a level 3-4 Empower to get the auras up to level 23, which is when they go to +5 max resists instead of +4. Level 3-4 Enhance is currently used to increase the low-life attack speed bonus granted by Blood Rage as well as increasing the duration bonus for Immortal Call.

However, both Blood Rage and IC are having their quality bonuses changed around in the 2.0, so I would suggest reading up on those changes before you make too many decisions on what gems you're going to want. Granted, you can still run them now, and level 3-4 Enhance/Empowers are always good for other stuff, but might not fit your current build ideas for LL Mjölner.
Hi exiles,

I've been lurking on this thread for a week or so now. I have a 91 scion who is spec'd for a life-based Mjolnir/Romira Discharge build. I am not currently using Voll's Devotion as I had bricked mine a while ago corrupting it. My situation sounds a lot like the top poster on this page. Yes, I have a Mjolnir but not a ton of wealth by any means. That has sort of changed a little earlier this week, however.

A long time ago, I had traded a 6 link Voll's Protector and 5 exalt for a (now) double legacy, CoC corrupted Bringer of Rain. I had wanted to do a CoC SRS build but it never quite panned out. Last week someone expressed interest in the BoR and offered me 70 exalt and a Lightning Leech Voll's Devotion! I took that deal.

I immediately tried to use it but I can't seem to swap it in for my Astramentis - I needed this to get the stats I needed. Right now I'm of the mindset to just sit tight until after 2.0 when the respec comes and I can shift gears with the build. When I saw this thread I thought I would invest in a Shav's chest and go Low-Life and fill in gear selections as needed to be able to use the Voll's. I may instead do this with my 89 Witch rather than my scion.

So in preparation for 2.0 I was going to buy the Shav's, 6-link it, and get some decent ES boots, shield, gloves etc. But now I am seeing comments about the new Kingsguard chest and I am wondering if the new meta for Mjolnir/Discharge builds will be to go life-based and use this chest. So here I sit just reading and thinking and waiting for 2.0 to hit before making any new gear purchases. I want to see how all this is able to be put in practice.

The other concern I have is with the leech changes. I'm wondering if I would be better off selling the Lightning Voll's, buying a clean Voll's, and then using the ton of extra exalts to buy a Shav's Revelation ring and other gear.

Anyways, guess I don't specifically have any questions at this time, I just wanted to chime in and keep the conversation going. I'll be anxious to see how this build pans out in The Awakening. Until then, safe hunting everyone.
Over these pass few days, I have been exploring going dual wield with Mjolner. So i decided to go Mjolner and Doryani's Catalyst. Here's a comparison of the GG Shield I am currently using and the 0% quality Doryani's Catalyst that i was testing with.

Spoiler

Without activating blood rage, my attack speed with lightning/molten strike was already higher then my attack speed when using Blood Rage with a Mjolner + Shield. When I activated Blood Rage, my attacks speed rose significantly. (I had 40% more attacks per second then my Mjolner+Shield combo). However, I only hit with mjolner half the time. Hence doing the calculations, my mjolner proc effectiveness was reduced to 70% of what it normally is(50% of 1.4x attacks per second). The bonus elemental damage from Dorayni's Catalyst resulted in my Arc+Discharge dealing 13% more damage, despite the loss of spell damage from my mirrored shield. The other tradeoffs were that my ES dropped from 8000+ to 6100+ and I lost a lot of fire and cold resist.

Gameplay wise, my clear speed was still phenomenally fast. I could clear a double unique Palace rather easily. All Mobs insta-died more consistently enough. My overall dps was about 20% less. (50% of 113% damage).The loss of ES was not that severe of a drawback, as I still had a sizable 6.1K ES pool. My resists could easily be fixed through shifting around my gear or using Purity of Elements. Overall, in live servers, there is no reason to go dual wielding. The minimal damage boost is not really worth the sacrifice of ES and reduced mjolner proc consistency. Despite that, it is still viable enough for general mapping.

For the 2.0 patch, given the leech changes. Having Doryani's Catalyst means that I can have more leech life recovery per second, as despite the leech percentage nerf by 80%, I can leech from multiple sources and enemies; meaning that I can leech from 0.2% of my lightning damage (Doryani's invitation) and 0.2% of my elemental damage (Doryani's Catalyst) concurrently. Moreover, The access to the ES clusters behind CI means that I can have around 8000k ES, despite not using a shield. As such, maybe dual wielding with Mjolner and Doryani's Catalyst will become more viable in the awakening.

Further testing will be required when the awakening launch and I might explore using Doryani's Catalyst for a crit variation of this build as well. Let me know your thoughts on the matter and suggest what else should be tested for using Mjolner and Doryani's Catalyst.

*On a cosmetic side note: Dual Wielding Mjolner and Doryani's Catalyst feels pretty badass*
Last edited by iSo1iD on Jun 28, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
Dual wielding definitely has its advantages, especially with a Dory's scepter as that can provide some nice damage. Plus, you do get the inherent DW buffs for attack speed so that will be something to consider. However, there are a few things that I am concerned about that are making me rethink the idea of dropping my mirrored shield for the Dory's scepter, even though it will have its benefits. They are:

1. The increased amount of damage in higher level maps that people are reporting about on the beta.

2. The drastic cut of how effective we can make Immortal Call last, and if we want it to potentially last longer or to what it is now, it's going to take more investment with points we may/may not have to spare.

3. Potential issues with getting enough IAS, though this might not be as big an issue, we're still getting a big cut from everything that's going on.

4. The loss of +resists from aura node reduction and the loss of Inner Force.

This build can handle most elemental damage just fine, though with the aura buffs cut from #4 this will be a concern. Also, if damage has gotten more...well...damaging, we're going to have to see how much adjusting we're going to need to do especially for physical damage. Without Immortal Call to help us as much as it does now we may have to really buckle down and rely on the shield instead of dual-wielding, which could cut out any potential there.
Hi guys,

Considering the fact that the new patch is coming soon and I'd really like to start playing again..
I could really need some help regarding my current character and updating it's gear and gems.

Probably need lots of changes or new items and I thought it would be wise to just ask here.
I'll link everything below, hopefully someone can give me some information.

Basically I need to know what new gems I need to look out for and which items I need to prioritize.

Spoiler

Maybe it might be a little too early to ask, if it is I'll just ask again when the patch hits!
Last edited by TJEmvp on Jun 28, 2015, 3:33:01 PM
Based on the jewel mod info we know. The maximum possible attainable attack speed boost we can get from a single rare jewel (in relation to a mace + shield setup) is 19% (on a perfectly rolled jewel). Take note that this combination of mods can only spawn on a Crimson Jewel (Strength Base).

2 Prefixes:

1) Beating: 6 to 8% increased Attack Speed with Maces

2) Charging: 4 to 6% increased Attack Speed when holding a shield

1 Suffix:

1) Of Beserking: 3 to 55 increased Attack Spreed

This opens up one more suffix slot which can easily be filled in with another elemental resist suffix or a stat mod, like the +(12 to 16) to strength suffix mod. As per usual, such info is subject to changes. However, if such a jewel is craftable in 2.0, it will greatly benefit the RainbowNuke build by giving more raw attack speed. A great place to socket the jewel will be along that scion jewel node next to the Harrier notable passive. For 3 points, you get 6% attack speed or 12% spell damage and a jewel slot for socketing in your rare attack speed jewel.

Take note that a 20/20 Blood Rage in 2.0 only gives 20% attack speed. Hence, if you do not feel like taking all the blood Rage degen, picking up such a jewel may be a viable, albeit expensive, alternative.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Jun 30, 2015, 8:41:24 AM
Is spell/elemental life leech a possible mod on jewels at this point? What about LGoH?

Also, anyone done any testing in the beta for just how dangerous the new Blood Rage might be as a physical degen?

What is the current elemental reflect % aura on rare mobs? What about high level maps? (saw 13% on low level maps but assume it will be higher on mid/top tier maps)
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Jun 30, 2015, 10:16:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info