Molten Strike

"
"
So the wiki has been updated: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Molten_Strike

If we're interested in scaling the damage of the projectiles, maybe the best 6L would be:
Molten Strike - Multistrike, Fire Penetration, Life Gain on Hit, Weapon Elemental Damage, Physical Projectile Attack Damage

Or would you take one out for Added Fire Damage, Faster Attacks, etc.? (To me, LMP and GMP are bad ideas because the damage penalty hurts the projectiles a lot).

LMP & GMP just make the projectiles deal 16.67% more expected dmg. It's a lot, but sound like other supports are better (unless we got a 7L so we can use this).

In my opinion you're not utilizing the full potential of the skill unless you use LMP/GMP (GMP is better unless your per hit dmg matters for some reason).

I will not say why I think this though.
"
Rage09 wrote:
Don't know if this has been answered, but can the projectiles miss? I'm guessing that they can because they are an attack, but I'm kinda hoping they act like firestorm.

Considering how much my dps seemed to drop when blinded I would assume they can miss. Not all that easy to tell though.
I'm using it in a different way ^^,

With Mjolner
( Arc lifeleech discharge )
a voll's devotion

and romira's banquet

This skill can do a tons of hit versus solo or small pack

i use :

Molten strike, faster attack, multistrike, gmp, lmp, and here concentrated effect ( but life gain on hit, blind can be good too )

Better than lightning strike for the Mjolner, and better than cyclone multistrike by a little ( mostly for no desync and a bit more hit, but it's not instant ( you need to wait a little for projectile to drop ))
Last edited by xMasaox on May 5, 2014, 10:06:02 AM
"
Rage09 wrote:
Used this skill for a bit, lvls 1-35 so far.

Mechanics are the same as Lightning Strike from what i can determine. ie all melee physical damage input does not effect the projectiles.

I found that increased aoe, via a huge 40% from a shrine, increases the area that the bombs can impact in and does increase the radius of the bomb explosion, though the aoe on the bombs is so small, probably less then 5 radius.

The main shinning point of this skill is that one target can be hit by multiple bombs at once. With an average of 1 bomb hitting the target each swing you get 120% base damage + 72% base dmg as a projectile. so that's ~190% base damage per hit.

Just the info I was looking for, thanks!
Take care out there.
Not sure if already reported by I find the sound of this skill very loud and annoying.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
Zoroch wrote:
"
"
So the wiki has been updated: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Molten_Strike

If we're interested in scaling the damage of the projectiles, maybe the best 6L would be:
Molten Strike - Multistrike, Fire Penetration, Life Gain on Hit, Weapon Elemental Damage, Physical Projectile Attack Damage

Or would you take one out for Added Fire Damage, Faster Attacks, etc.? (To me, LMP and GMP are bad ideas because the damage penalty hurts the projectiles a lot).

LMP & GMP just make the projectiles deal 16.67% more expected dmg. It's a lot, but sound like other supports are better (unless we got a 7L so we can use this).

In my opinion you're not utilizing the full potential of the skill unless you use LMP/GMP (GMP is better unless your per hit dmg matters for some reason).

I will not say why I think this though.

I can see how LMP/GMP would be great in conjunction with Life Gain on Hit. Otherwise I don't see how it's worthwhile, unless you're thinking of using Three Dragons and shock stacking mobs, but I don't know if LMP/GMP is needed. In the case where you're doing crits (without Three Dragons), you'd benefit from fewer projectiles to get better ignites.
Is there a reason (i.e. is it a design choice or otherwise) why Molten Strike is not compatible with Facebreakers?

I mean, the gem description doesn't tie the skill to any particular weapon type, and I was making an alt to try out Facebreakers with molten strike but alas, no dice.
Yes, I was wonering the same. It would be nice to have a good aoe skill except infernal blow for facebreaker.
Dear Grinding Gear Games,

First I want to thank you guys for making a great game. I have been telling a lot of people about the game.

I need someone to answer a question regarding game mechanics. I think it should be answered because quite honestly the POE website is seriously lacking in detail as well as the fact that the in game tooltip is also lacking.

However, would you guys please provide more information regarding the mechanics of Molten Strike. Its impossible to fully understand the mechanics, because quite honestly the person who wrote the description left out a ton of detail. Maybe its because I have a doctorate in law and over analyze things, but the fact is you stipulate melee physical damage, but not say 1-handed sword physical damage (passives), etc.

Also, why in Gods name does the tooltip on the ability only take into account the initial hit, rather than projectile damage, or at the very least - the primary mechanic of the ability, which happens to be the projectiles themselves. How am I to know if certain passives are even increasing the damage of the projectiles. There are a ton of unanswered questions.

Finally, in the most recent build video by GGG, Chris Wilson takes the 2% life leech node, but doesn't bother to explain how it is affected when taking AoF. With AoF and the conversion on Molten Strike, there is a 100% conversion of all physical damage into fire. Also, if you have the Goddess Scorned like I do.

Simply put, its a great game, and I realize that figuring stuff out is one of the fun parts of the game, but I am sorry, its absolutely ridiculous that we have no way to track the main mechanic of the ability or that your description is so inadequate, especially in consideration of the fact that the game has like 1,000x the variation of Diablo 3 or other cookie cutter games. How are we supposed to figure it out, when even the tooltip doesn't provide any information and the detail on the website is missing a lot of information?

Please answer these questions and provide more information on the skill on the website, especially in regards to life leech. I want to hear from someone from GGG, and not really interested in hearing from some theorycrafter. I hope you guys will kindly answer this so I know for sure. I mean seriously, the recent build video was made by Grinding Gear Games, and in the video you guys took the 2% life leech and eventually Avatar of Fire, but why no mention of how this would affect the Life Leech passive after taking AoF, unless physical life leech on gear and passives still works with Molten Strike combined with AoF having 100% of the physical damage being converted into fire. Also, please change it so there is a way to see the dps on the projectiles, not merely the initial hit.
Last edited by I_Heart_U on May 6, 2014, 2:49:42 PM
"
AgingWarden wrote:
Is there a reason (i.e. is it a design choice or otherwise) why Molten Strike is not compatible with Facebreakers?

I mean, the gem description doesn't tie the skill to any particular weapon type, and I was making an alt to try out Facebreakers with molten strike but alas, no dice.

looks like a design choice.

skill text states "launches from your weapon", facebreakers are not a weapon. You are unarmed, look at IB and it specifically states unarmed can be used. Domination blow, for instance, just says "melee attack", so FB's work for it too. They were probably aware of some major scaling issue that would have made it way OP, but I'd be lying if I said my first thought on molten strike wasn't, "OMG FACEBREAKERS!" ... so sad.
I can see your / Back is turned and / If I could I'd / Stick my knife in.
Crawl Away, TOOL

Don't get hacked. Make a new email for your account and use a long password.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info