Molten Strike

"
Too lazy to integrate quotes, but I'm mainly directing this post to Splift. I think there is good potential in AoF and you're right that a lot of gems are required. Here's what a 5L would look like:

Molten Strike - Multistrike, Fire Penetration, Life Gain on Hit, Weapon Elemental Damage (this assumes the skill works like Lightning Strike; if it doesn't, then Melee Physical Damage might be a choice)

*Also forgot to mention Physical Projectile Attack Damage. Who really knows what benefits Molten Strike the most.

Molten Strike actually has a relatively low mana cost and since you are using Multistrike, you're mana efficient because you get 3 attacks out of one use of the skill. If you get one cluster of mana/mregen passives on the tree (e.g. Mana Flows in Duelist tree), I think you'll be fine sustaining the skill without Blood Magic.
Right now I am using Molten-Multi-life on hit- WED- added fire. If i run no auras I can comfortably attack only using potions sometimes. If I run one 60% aura then I have to pot almost constantly and am even in danger of running out of pots regularly.

However I have yet to take Avatar of fire and am using slitherpinch for mana leech (2%). If I took avatar(losing my leech in the process), then I don't see any way for me to sustain even with one mana cluster, especially since I am shooting for Dorani's sceptre which has a fairly fast attack speed (1.6 ish). I would love to not use blood magic, but at least with blood magic we could run 2x 60% auras and tempest shield.

Also atm I am using added fire because I figure I can still manage against resist mobs with the 40% phys. However because most of my damage scaling is now elemental (WED, added fire) heavily resist mobs are a kick in the nuts and kill my clear speed. Even without Avatar of fire I am thinking fire pen STILL might be the way to go.

In spite of all of this I am still set on taking Avatar of fire.
Last edited by Splift on May 2, 2014, 10:53:02 PM
Update:

Ok, realized that only 20% of my dps was actually physical. Based on that I concluded that my 2% mana leech, while helping, would not make the difference between sustainability or not.

And with that I dove in and took on avatar of fire. It added about 20-25% dps right off the bat. Since I am now pure fire I swapped out added fire damage for fire pen. Losing added fire was a huge hit to my tooltip dps. But I suspect that my true dps is about that same on mobs that have low or no fire resist and against extremely resistant mobs the difference will be massive.

Atm there is no way that I can run even one aura and I have to drink pots regularly (every 9 attacks or so). While that may sound shitty, because I am clearing so much faster now it works out fine. The 100 mana I get from stone of lahzwar and rainbowstrides makes a huge difference though so others may not get the same results. At higher level with a maxed out reduced mana, perhaps I could run 1 aura, either anger or determination/grace depending on the situation.

Of course all of that is temporary. 6th link is gonna be a blood magic gem at this point for sure which will guarantee 2 60% auras and tempest shield.... although if there is some way in hell that I could manage to run added fire as the 6th link and not spend a fortune in mana passives to get it that would be godly.

Also one other possibility is taking out life on hit for whatever you please (added fire I guess). Now hear me out. That may sound like insanity, but with all of these new ele leech gears it may be possible. I already plan to use dorani's sceptre and doranis belt would be great too. You can get 1% fire leech on jewelry and perhaps other eq as well. Basically if you stack enuff fire leech % on gear then maybe you could do without LGOH in SOME (not all) situations for godly dps increase.

Great thing is that every single gem you want is red so swapping em around like crazy is no prob.
Last edited by Splift on May 3, 2014, 2:39:46 AM
I have a dual strike shadow that im comparing molten strike to..

Numbers wise its actually quite similar

Melee splash radius is similar to Molten lava ball radius

Dual strike with Melee splash:

main hit is 200% * Melee splash 84% = 168%
splash hit is 200% * 69% = 138%
Molten strike with Added Fire Dmg
Molten strike main hit 120% * AFD 139% = 166.8%

Splash dmg..
Being hit by 1 ball = 72% * 139% = 100.08%

So if 1 ball hits, then same splash dmg, if more than 1 ball then molten does more dmg

However.... Elemenetal damage gets resisted a lot more often than physical dmg so real dmg wise, dual strike will most likely win out.

**Molten strike also hits way more times than Dual strike so things like Life on Hit, CoC are all better than Melee splash variants**

Hence my MightFlays +20 LoH is making molten strike much more tankier than dual strike.

-------

In terms of real AOE like Reave/Groudn slam etc Molten can not compare.. the Aoe sucks on this thing.
"
Splift wrote:
Update:

Ok, realized that only 20% of my dps was actually physical. Based on that I concluded that my 2% mana leech, while helping, would not make the difference between sustainability or not.

And with that I dove in and took on avatar of fire. It added about 20-25% dps right off the bat. Since I am now pure fire I swapped out added fire damage for fire pen. Losing added fire was a huge hit to my tooltip dps. But I suspect that my true dps is about that same on mobs that have low or no fire resist and against extremely resistant mobs the difference will be massive.

Atm there is no way that I can run even one aura and I have to drink pots regularly (every 9 attacks or so). While that may sound shitty, because I am clearing so much faster now it works out fine. The 100 mana I get from stone of lahzwar and rainbowstrides makes a huge difference though so others may not get the same results. At higher level with a maxed out reduced mana, perhaps I could run 1 aura, either anger or determination/grace depending on the situation.

Of course all of that is temporary. 6th link is gonna be a blood magic gem at this point for sure which will guarantee 2 60% auras and tempest shield.... although if there is some way in hell that I could manage to run added fire as the 6th link and not spend a fortune in mana passives to get it that would be godly.

Also one other possibility is taking out life on hit for whatever you please (added fire I guess). Now hear me out. That may sound like insanity, but with all of these new ele leech gears it may be possible. I already plan to use dorani's sceptre and doranis belt would be great too. You can get 1% fire leech on jewelry and perhaps other eq as well. Basically if you stack enuff fire leech % on gear then maybe you could do without LGOH in SOME (not all) situations for godly dps increase.

Great thing is that every single gem you want is red so swapping em around like crazy is no prob.

I myself heal 60k mana per second
6%damage taken gained as mana amu+9boots+10helm
and 15 mana on hit ring

I run MoM, and take massive amount of damage, when maintain maximum mana,
on this test video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBhLZ8rn80Q&feature=youtu.be

keep in mind, that leech is nerved, since the vaal-patch
without vaal pact, you will never heal yourself
your 7molten strike projectiles will only heal 1 time on 1 target
not 7 times on 10targets
Last edited by Tommyvv on May 3, 2014, 8:00:33 AM
Avatar of fire + molten strike does NOT = 100 % fire

Avatar of fire coverts 50% of your physical to fire. Then what's left is used to be converted to fire by the skill. Same applies to any other skill based off converting physical damage, ie added fire, hatred.

Physical damage passive skill nodes will be most beneficial. Fire and elemental nodes are not.

tdlr taking avatar of fire you gimp yourself with 50% less physical damage the skill has to convert.
Last edited by eshiro on May 3, 2014, 8:34:15 AM
"
Splift wrote:
"
Too lazy to integrate quotes, but I'm mainly directing this post to Splift. I think there is good potential in AoF and you're right that a lot of gems are required. Here's what a 5L would look like:

Molten Strike - Multistrike, Fire Penetration, Life Gain on Hit, Weapon Elemental Damage (this assumes the skill works like Lightning Strike; if it doesn't, then Melee Physical Damage might be a choice)

*Also forgot to mention Physical Projectile Attack Damage. Who really knows what benefits Molten Strike the most.

Molten Strike actually has a relatively low mana cost and since you are using Multistrike, you're mana efficient because you get 3 attacks out of one use of the skill. If you get one cluster of mana/mregen passives on the tree (e.g. Mana Flows in Duelist tree), I think you'll be fine sustaining the skill without Blood Magic.
Right now I am using Molten-Multi-life on hit- WED- added fire. If i run no auras I can comfortably attack only using potions sometimes. If I run one 60% aura then I have to pot almost constantly and am even in danger of running out of pots regularly.

However I have yet to take Avatar of fire and am using slitherpinch for mana leech (2%). If I took avatar(losing my leech in the process), then I don't see any way for me to sustain even with one mana cluster, especially since I am shooting for Dorani's sceptre which has a fairly fast attack speed (1.6 ish). I would love to not use blood magic, but at least with blood magic we could run 2x 60% auras and tempest shield.

Also atm I am using added fire because I figure I can still manage against resist mobs with the 40% phys. However because most of my damage scaling is now elemental (WED, added fire) heavily resist mobs are a kick in the nuts and kill my clear speed. Even without Avatar of fire I am thinking fire pen STILL might be the way to go.

In spite of all of this I am still set on taking Avatar of fire.

I took the mana regen nodes at duelist as duelist and at shadow. Using level 4 clarity linked to Max reduced mana with tempest shield and hatred. I have 107int 700 mana and 4% mana leech, I am able to sustain 5l costing 42 mana without issue regen is 31/sec.
Last edited by eshiro on May 3, 2014, 9:34:12 AM
Let's do some math here to show how area of effect affect projectile from molten strike.

Let r be the radius of the projectiles from molten strike, R be the radius of the targeted monster (simply speaking, Dominus has a larger radius than most monsters), and A be the possible area that those projectiles can apply their damage.

Assume that the dropped location of the projectiles is random. (In fact, I obverse that they are not so random. They tend to drop at the location that other on-air projectiles are not going to drop)

(a) P(a projectile can damage that targeted monster)
=pi(2r+R)^2 / A

Consider you have x% increase area of effect.
(b) P(a projectile can damage that targeted monster)
=pi{2(1+x%)r+R}^2 / (1+x%)A

Assume the damage deal by one projectile are the same in both cast.
The total increase in expected value of damage from one projectile
=(b)/(a) - 1
={2(1+x%)r+R}^2 / (1+x%)(2r+R)^2 - 1
={(2x%r+2r+r)/(2r+R)}^2/(1+x%) - 1
={1+(2x%r/2r+R)}^2/(1+x%) - 1

Consider R=2r (it's not hard to achieve, most monsters are somehow at this size)
={1+(x%/2)}^2/(1+x%) - 1

Sub x% = 20% (not a hard number, right?)
=0.833%

What if x%= 50%?
=4.167%

For monster with larger size (large radius), the about effect with become smaller.
For monster with smaller size (large radius), the about effect with become larger.

The conclusion is, increasing area of effect don't do much in single target damage (be still significant). So, feel free to use concentrated effect to get free dmg

*note that I have ignored the initial single target dmg.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by WillisTheWillis on May 3, 2014, 10:09:25 AM
"
Let's do some math here to show area of effect

stronk calculations!
I may even missed some classes, to know exaxcly what you did

I myself keep it simple
((1/0.7concentrated effect)-1)*100% = 42.85% more AoE if not link concentrated effect
=42.85% MORE hits vs single target, from projectiles

+50%MORE AoE damage

100%*1.4285*1.5 = 214.3%
you gained upto 114.3%MORE damage from concentrated effect lvl1
if increase concentraed effect lvl, you decrease single target damage

already posted the picture ones, srry if it considered spammings

sadly this topic is full of informations, that make me think, what informations can I get here
its 6*a4 talks about avatare talk to incease dps bye 10%, and sacrifice everything for it, incl bloodmagic gems!

the only real information I got here = link to lightning strike mechanics-wiki-page, and More Physical melee damage support gem, not effecting the projectile damage.
Not that someone inhere tested that information and confirmed it.
I see people seem be to ok with point blank working with this skill, but really... should it?

Point blank is a passive that was originally put in as a choice for ranged characters between danger + damage or safety.
Molten strike is a melee skill. There is no other place to be other than point blank when using it. There is no choice or tradeoff, it's just a free 50% multiplier.

I implore GGG think a bit on this.
"
Tommyvv wrote:
"
Let's do some math here to show area of effect

stronk calculations!
I may even missed some classes, to know exaxcly what you did

Thanks first.

But sound like there are some mistake in you calculations.

First, increase concentrated effect will never drop the dps cause it would reduce the AoE (30%reduced AoE for every level).

Second, the chance to hit a specific monster should include the size of monster.

Just give out some maths comparing the effect of Incresaed AoE support or Concentrated effect support (both 20/20)
20/20 Incresaed AoE Support = 43% increased AoE
20/20 Concentrated effect support = 69% more dmg, 30%less AoE

Assume that you originally have 20% increased AoE, and monster's radius is twice of projectiles' radius (R=2r).

*E() means expected value
E(dmg of one projectile when using concentrated effect) : E(dmg of one projectile when using increased AoE)
= (1+69%) * pi{2(1-10%)r+2r}^2 / (1-10%)A : pi{2(1+63%)r+2r}^2 / (1+63%)A
= 1.5975 : 1

So, comparing with using increased AoE support, concentrated effect support can provide 59.75%% MORE dmg to single target dmg. But how about area dmg?

Assume monsters are widely spread uniformly.
E(dmg using concentrated effect) : E(dmg using increased AoE)
= 1.5975*(1-10%) : 1*(1+63%)
= 0.8820 : 1

Concentrated effect loses this time. (Don't ignore the fact that 20/20 concentrated effect use LESS mana than 20/20 increased AoE)

Increased AoE makes you hit monsters easier and deal a lot more dmg on group monster. So clearing speed is way faster.

In fact, comparing normal case with increased AoE, area dmg w/ increased AoE deal 42.91% more with same assumptions. Can any other support that kind of area dmg boost? No. So you know how to choose your support gem now.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by WillisTheWillis on May 3, 2014, 12:56:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info