Multistrike vs Minion Damage

Hi all,

I tried to do research on the question I am about to ask, but was not able to find an answer so here I am.

I am building Dual Totem Raging Spirit Witch summoner.

For now I do not have any 5-6 links, so both totems are on 4l boots and helm.

Gems are: Spell Totem, Raging Spirit, Increased Duration and Minion Damage.

The setup is working pretty well, but I am wondering if I can replace Minion Damage with something better.
I mostly care about max single target DPS for boss fights.

I was wondering of I my DPS would go up if I use Multistrike instead of Minion Damage.

Note that this is Invasion League Witch if that makes the difference.

Please assist.

Thanks,
MasterOfTheWeb
I do not believe that no one knows the answer.
it's a bit more complicated than that with srs

MS is very clearly the more theoretical dps by a mile, with both a massive ias multiplier and 57% increased. min damage is what? only 92% increased at 20/20?

this is the problem with srs and ms. srs hit like a kitten. and with totem damage reduction, they hit for even less than that. with ms damage reduction too? guaranteed, their phys damage component is reduced to pretty much 0 by enemy armor

however, it's doubtful that minion damage would boost their per hit damage enough to make them do reasonable phys damage anyways

...so yes, no one really knows the answer. the general knowledge is simply that srs are not viable for lategame because they don't actually synergize well with totems or ms once enemy armor starts becoming a problem...a problem completely unique to srs because their per hit phys damage is just so ridiculously pathetic. and gets even worse when fire res starts becoming a problem too, and they start hitting for something ridiculous, like ~15% their on paper dps

and of course, if you go for self cast maximum single hit damage srs...you have the other issue of not being able to have that many spirits active. no matter what you do with them, they lose most of their on paper effectiveness in the end

edit: actually wait, what am I saying. if you're still using srs totems you're nowhere near 20/20 supports

use neither. use melee phys
Last edited by testinglk on Apr 24, 2014, 3:54:26 PM
Multistrike will only give more DPS is you support it with faster attacks.
IGN Riokar | My guides
[2.0]Non legacy Mjölner. Uber down. -thread/1474288
[2.0]Shatter Chuck Lite COC -thread/1324981
[2.0]SRS Magic Find Culler. Uber capable. /w budged build -thread/1406603
[2.0]NEWBIE MF/DPS Summoner -thread/479976 | Power leveling guide -thread/522556
"
Rathik2 wrote:
Multistrike will only give more DPS is you support it with faster attacks.

multipliers don't work that way
if u are using alpha howl for element aura, multistrike is a must have. dont forget u have already taken a bunch of minion damage nodes in the tree, so the extra dmg from minion dmg gem is not much better than adding aps from multistrike which significantly boost the damage from auras.

ignore the guy saying srs is not good for lategame, it easily is with the proper setup.
I've yet to see a decent one in action, is all. I've seen many try and then be disappointed, and my experience, game knowledge, and calculations have yielded the same conclusion, both in theory crafting and in practice

but it is still a mostly unexplored gem, so it's possible there's a good build for it that people just haven't shown yet

anyways, for wrath+anger builds, ms is one of the weakest gems, actually. at level 20 ms, 36 less and 107 more equates to:
.64*2.07 = 1.32 dps multiplier

even with the full 105 minion damage from tree, 92 from a 20/20 min damage would be:
297/205 = 1.45 dps multiplier
...hell, even regular 20 would be:
282/205 = 1.38, which is still more than multistrike

for completion, 20/20 FA, assuming all ias from tree and FO up:
213/159 = 1.34

this still doesn't take into account their damage effectiveness reducing wrath+anger though. so even though ms is the weakest wrath+anger multiplier, it could still be the best gem if you manage to get their phys damage component high enough to not get reduced to nothing by enemy armor

but with a totem build, that could be difficult
lol yes sounds good with your highest a lvl35 char.

fyi im doing a SELFCAST srs build and reached lvl79 in INVASION and rising.
my aura have yet to reach highest level and solo i can clear lvl70 map pretty fast with anger+hatred.
not even using haste yet which will ramp up the dmg even more.

the base dmg from srs has nothing to do with this build, once i use anger+wrath+haste its all about dishing element dmg from the high aps of srs and animate weapon (YES im even using animate weapons!), which will more than cover up the dmg effectiveness.

its not the best build out there but its very good enough for srs. SRS!

srs+MD+multistrike/melee splash+faster attack+faster casting+increased duration is the optimal 6l
"
lol yes sounds good with your highest a lvl35 char.

fyi im doing a SELFCAST srs build and reached lvl79 in INVASION and rising.
my aura have yet to reach highest level and solo i can clear lvl70 map pretty fast with anger+hatred.
not even using haste yet which will ramp up the dmg even more.

the base dmg from srs has nothing to do with this build, once i use anger+wrath+haste its all about dishing element dmg from the high aps of srs and animate weapon (YES im even using animate weapons!), which will more than cover up the dmg effectiveness.

its not the best build out there but its very good enough for srs. SRS!

srs+mpd+multistrike+faster attack+faster casting

yeah, obviously, I have access to all this mechanical knowledge with like 20 level 1 shadows and 1 character at the exact minimum level to sit in merciless.....all named stuff like bank and fodder. your perception is astounding

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/BoswerLK

math doesn't lie. if you're not using minion damage for a wrath+anger srs/aw, then you're being inefficient. ms is favored in zombie builds cuz they benefit from the increased melee phys damage...cuz, you know, they actually do damage with theirs. for w+a srs, where you're not even using their base damage? it's a weak gem
wow standard everywhere. im impressed. and probably all doing standard cookie cutter builds.

u telling me a 107% MORE atk speed increase,
with 1.65 base aps of srs (which is the highest of all minions),
which also REPEAT 2 ADDITIONAL TIMES
and where more element damage is done with higher aps
is not sufficient to much more than cover the 36% attack reduction?
yes indeed.

not forgetting im dealing primarily element damage and not physical damage, so even if my damage is small per hit it wont be reduced much cos element resist takes a portion
instead of saying doing small many hits physical damage which will be severely negated by armour?

i dont have to make any calculation, i already know this is one of the best gem for srs for aura build at least, and my on-field invasion exprience proves it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info