[Official] WINE info thread

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a graphics driver and ATI issue.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
That's a factor, but if Windows users experienced the lag we are they would be yelling bloody murder. So, there is something else at play combined with that. Possibly some efficiency is lost in the graphics driver and/or Wine.

I wonder if it is specifically an ATI issue or something. I get no problems with lag like that. I'm using the nvidia drivers distributed through my debian sid updates. I also frequently have high FPS ranging in the 110-130 range in many cases where in town it's around 70.

It is an ATI issue because the game won't run with GLSL disabled on ATI. Only Nvidia drivers have a fallback if GLSL is disabled. The game runs perfectly with the fallback mode.
"
varemenos wrote:
Anyone managed to fix the ugly text issue?

Yeah, it might have a software fix, but my solution was to update my firmware. Before the BIOS update I had to disable NX-bit buffer overflow protection in the BIOS menu.

I mentioned it a couple times in this thread, you guys should search more carefully.
"
spiralofhope wrote:
I've been thinking about the boss lag some more..

It can't be an issue with loading assets, since if you or your team have the exact same spells and have been using them before finding the boss, the assets should be loaded.

Pixel shaders are small programs which modify pixels, they are like lenses and filters which can be stacked in layers over any such pixel to refract or color it millions of different ways. You stack these tiny instructions each time you encounter a boss with an aura, and each time that aura interacts with a new skill or collection of other shaders.

Keep in mind that shaders aren't just for coloring in shadows, those programs can bend light to a whim, and are used to make realistic pixel perfect details rather than clunky polygon interpolations.

Check out this picture, that's a bit of grass being effected by ONE shader program, now imagine it were in fog, and the grass blades each sparkled with morning dew. That combination wouldn't even tax your GPU, although it would be doing millions of calculations per second.

You can stack a whole lot of shaders into one screen, and have them overlap, take this light show on this 3D object, now trace the light backwards from the film to the camera lens, to the 3D object, to the foci, to the three or four projection lights per focus, imagine how the distortion and reflections cause other things to be lit, it's mind boggling math, but you have a processor which can compile this math in less than a second, then save it in a cache and use the code combination forever again.
"
ionface wrote:
"
varemenos wrote:

Yeah, it might have a software fix, but my solution was to update my firmware. Before the BIOS update I had to disable NX-bit buffer overflow protection in the BIOS menu.

I mentioned it a couple times in this thread, you guys should search more carefully.

I can't disable the NX-bit buffer in my Bios...
"
Grundgesetz wrote:
"
ionface wrote:
"
varemenos wrote:

I can't disable the NX-bit buffer in my Bios...

Me either. There is no setting for NX/EVP/XD/XN in my BIOS (flashed to latest version available, of course).

grep ^flags /proc/cpuinfo | head -n1 | egrep --color=auto ' (pae|nx) '

The above command indicates if NX and PAE are available. They are for me. My understanding is that Ubuntu 64-bit always uses these features if available.

Perhaps the feature could be disabled for PoE by using execstack. I'm not sure which libraries and executables would need to be marked, however. Additionally, even if I could figure out how to do it, and it did indeed fix the font issue, disabling the feature for PoE could be a security risk opening one up to buffer overflow attacks.
Last edited by Sovyn on Feb 13, 2013, 4:06:03 PM
I'm not certain I understand the exact problem and why disabling the NX bit fixes it.

I understand that there is a font problem that causes the text to sometimes get a little hard to read. That part I get. What I don't get is what that has to do with the NX bit and why disabling it solves the problem.

In the case of disabling the NX bit, that would mean there's something possibly attempting to overflow within the PoE app or a library it is using (either directly or through wine) and the NX bit being set kicks in the protections and prevents it from happening, thus causing the corruption?

Personally, I've gotten used to the font issue... but it would be overall better if it didn't happen. I'd be glad to lend any assistance I can in this area, but I need to understand the mechanics of what's going on.
"
Sovyn wrote:
Perhaps the feature could be disabled for PoE by using execstack. I'm not sure which libraries and executables would need to be marked, however. Additionally, even if I could figure out how to do it, and it did indeed fix the font issue

I'll tried it already with execstack, the Client.exe can of course not set. So, I have set it for every wine execution file but that doesn't change anything.

"
Sovyn wrote:
disabling the feature for PoE could be a security risk opening one up to buffer overflow attacks.

Since a few years ago, the NX-bit protection is not safe anymore. So do not worry too much about it.
"
Grundgesetz wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
Perhaps the feature could be disabled for PoE by using execstack. I'm not sure which libraries and executables would need to be marked, however. Additionally, even if I could figure out how to do it, and it did indeed fix the font issue

I'll tried it already with execstack, the Client.exe can of course not set. So, I have set it for every wine execution file but that doesn't change anything.

"
Sovyn wrote:
disabling the feature for PoE could be a security risk opening one up to buffer overflow attacks.

Since a few years ago, the NX-bit protection is not safe anymore. So do not worry too much about it.

I just did all of that too, setting the files in the Wine install with execstack including all of the libraries and so on. Makes no difference. I don't know why NX would have anything to do with it, but just going on a previous poster's admonition about not checking into it.
Btw, anyone got the .png version of the game's icon?
I didn't install it (I'm just using the symlinked folder of my windows installation to play it) so wine didn't export the icons for me and therefore I have none to use :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info