[Official] WINE info thread

tldr: If you use the Vulkan renderer, you want to change to AMDVLK instead of RADV

So last week I a had a bunch of time to play and I've tested out a few things. I don't know what was changed, but performance was hit really hard on Linux.
I've only tested the Vulkan renderer, so no idea about DXVK's current state (could be better, could be even worse).

I don't have anything detailed, not measured anything, just wanted to share my experiences.
Tested four setups:
Wine-staging + RADV
Wine-staging + AMDVLK
Proton-GE-Custom + RADV
Proton-GE-Custom + AMDVLK
(no noticable difference between Proton-GE 5.21 or 6.01, tried both version)

Initially (and for the last three leagues, so since Vulkan renderer introduced) I played with Wine-staging + RADV),because it was really good, but due recent changes in the game it is now sub par, by far. Cannot recommend this.

For me the best possible combination now is Proton-GE-Custom+AMDVLK, but for PoE AMDVLK seems to be better in every setup than RADV, which is a shame, because RADV is generally better for a lot of other games.

If you don't want to use Steam for playing PoE, it is possible to use Proton-GE-Custom standalone (you still need Steam installed though).

My setup is Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5600XT, using mesa-git on Arch Linux.

Also, please share your experiences, both on DXVK and Vulkan!
Last edited by sirdond on Jan 25, 2021, 5:04:42 AM
"
sirdond wrote:
tldr: If you use the Vulkan renderer, you want to change to AMDVLK instead of RADV

So last week I a had a bunch of time to play and I've tested out a few things. I don't know what was changed, but performance was hit really hard on Linux.
I've only tested the Vulkan renderer, so no idea about DXVK's current state (could be better, could be even worse).

I don't have anything detailed, not measured anything, just wanted to share my experiences.
Tested four setups:
Wine-staging + RADV
Wine-staging + AMDVLK
Proton-GE-Custom + RADV
Proton-GE-Custom + AMDVLK
(no noticable difference between Proton-GE 5.21 or 6.01, tried both version)

Initially (and for the last three leagues, so since Vulkan renderer introduced) I played with Wine-staging + RADV),because it was really good, but due recent changes in the game it is now sub par, by far. Cannot recommend this.

For me the best possible combination now is Proton-GE-Custom+AMDVLK, but for PoE AMDVLK seems to be better in every setup than RADV, which is a shame, because RADV is generally better for a lot of other games.

If you don't want to use Steam for playing PoE, it is possible to use Proton-GE-Custom standalone (you still need Steam installed though).

My setup is Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5600XT, using mesa-git on Arch Linux.

Also, please share your experiences, both on DXVK and Vulkan!

Good to know! Actually anyone here using the latest GPU/CPU combinations and are playing the game like butter? Would love to read the specs and configs people have done here. In the market for some new hardware.
Hi,

I'm having a weird issue since the release of 3.13.1.

After a while or under certain conditions, the map will go dark and blurry, usually until I leave it. I've tried fiddling with the settings but nothing seems to prevent this.

Here's an example:

Has anybody else experienced or resolved this issue ?

This is on vulkan/nvidia 460 (dx11 is a no go for me framerate wise) with wine 6.0.

Thanks!
Just an update,

as of today, using Proton Experimental on the Steam version has turned my game from a laggy mess to a flawless game now, holy shit.

I need to see the configs, does anyone know how to check it?

GTX 1060 6GB
Ryzen 9 3900X
Following up acylus's post, I have this youtube video if anyone wants to see the groundbreaking impact of Proton Experimental compared to regular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EXWqwMTTf8

I think everyone should experience this level of smoothness!
"
Dan1lo wrote:
Following up acylus's post, I have this youtube video if anyone wants to see the groundbreaking impact of Proton Experimental compared to regular.

Interesting, thanks for sharing and thanks acylus too for mentioning this.
I will give this a go later today.

Also a note on my previous post about AMDVLK: since the PoE texture streaming related changes were reverted (or tuned down really hard) you don't need AMDVLK anymore, RADV performs the same currently.

Edit: Are you guys using the Vulkan renderer or DXVK in Proton?
Last edited by sirdond on Feb 8, 2021, 1:47:03 AM
"
sirdond wrote:
"
Dan1lo wrote:

Also a note on my previous post about AMDVLK: since the PoE texture streaming related changes were reverted (or tuned down really hard) you don't need AMDVLK anymore, RADV performs the same currently.

From all my testing, there's no advantage in DXVK anymore (since you may win somethings, but lose in overhead). Just stick to the native Vulkan renderer. The big player in this scene is Proton Experimental. As in the video, it's night and day!
Just upgraded from GTX 1060 to 6800 XT, using RADV drivers and still using Proton Experimental. Game is still flawless as usual but with higher settings now :). CPU is still 3900x

Can comfortably maintain 100 fps with sound on.
"
sirdond wrote:
"
Dan1lo wrote:

Tested this yesterday, Proton experimental is huge upgrade over every other option out there currently.
The gameplay is so smooth it's insane!
These experimental patches put us in a point where we're actually playing smoother than people on Windows.

I have no doubt, but I don't have the hardware to test and document it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info