[Official] WINE info thread

hi,

see here

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/286

can you test with :
Disable multi engine multi threading in video options.

I can't test now

regards
"
grund1977 wrote:
can you test with :
Disable multi engine multi threading in video options.

Disabling engine multithreading helped. Thanks. I had to revert to Wine 1.9.16 since .23 crashed before even getting to the loading screen.
Last edited by databeaver on Nov 18, 2016, 10:14:23 AM
I'm trying to do a fresh installation and the installer crashes with the error containing 'Unable to MapViewOfFile' - which, as far as I understand, refers to 32-bit installations. But my Wine is 64-bit one.

Anyone can help with that?

EDIT: OK, I rebooted and logged in LXQt instead of KDE - and PoE installed and runs fine (so far). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, and the game doesn't remember the settings after quitting now. Sigh...
Last edited by ToriVega on Nov 18, 2016, 11:05:51 AM
I got the flickers and well, and had to disable multi-threading.

However the engine seems to run very smooth without so its okay. Higher average and more stable fps. More importantly, much fewer stutter/dips than before.

Using wine 1.9.17 (have had mixed luck with newer versions, .17 seems to work quite well for me.)

I still run with -gc 100. Can do an entire lab run without getting slowdowns. I'm happy.

@ToriVega: Try to edit the configuration file manually.
Anyone else getting crash on game startup after 2.4.2 was released? Backtrace shows it happens somewhere in wine's D3D9 device initialization.

EDIT: Looks like the solution is to revert to wine 1.9.16, see databeaver posts few posts before this one.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
Last edited by mruuh on Nov 19, 2016, 5:26:23 AM
PoE is slowly but surely getting less and less playable on linux. It started (iirc) with 2.3 where the fps-drop-on-regen bug was introduced, which was resolved only for 2.4. However, 2.3 also introduced the dependency on the .net framework, which broke the custom wine-build for PoE (i think it was 1.7.27 on PlayOnLinux).

Since then, many of us experience stuttering, fps getting lower and lower with each map, which can be postponed by setting -gc 100 apparently, at the cost of randomly crashing at some point (making HC impossible).

Now, 2.4.2, multithreading has to be off for the game to work *at all*, and then you have stuttering like never before, it's really ugly. The game is going for dx11, which is as of now not even really worked at by wine devs (not blaming them). However, I doubt GGG will continue to support two clients (it is very ressource-intensive, read $$$). They will discontinue dx9/32bit once the issues with 64bit are resolved for 99% of the (supported-platform-)playerbase and I am pretty sure that linux/mac will just stop working at all then.

Unless someone hacks together a patched wine version again PoE is pretty much dead on linux. I also feel bad bugging Chris about linux problems all the time, linux+mac is at most 5% of the playerbase, probably less, and each patch to keep it working on wine probably has their gfx-engine devs pulling their hair out.

Only thing they could have done differently is going with OpenGL from the start. That would also have made it much easier to have a linux port.

Maybe we need to ask Chris how much we need to pay to get the linux issues resolved or an option for an opengl engine or even a linux client... :)
ign:
quirx_rng_pls
I think sooner or later they *have* to support Linux, with the Windows 10 malware a lot of people are switching away from it. Supporting a Linux client would be a good idea for GGG. Unfortunately their resources seem very constrained, so ... DX11 support in Wine seems mandatory now :)

Today I installed the latest patch and it seems to run better than before. I get much less frame drops and stutter, with some fps drops to ~15. That is still playable. On the other hand, it runs worse on Windows now (LoL). I get a lot of tearing (GTX 1060 here) where my character seems to get stuck in an invisible jelly :/
Last edited by hochl on Nov 19, 2016, 11:40:13 AM
Thanks a lot for the -gc 100 flag info, that has really improved the fps issues I was having. Up until the restart/crash point, of course.

Not getting those small framedrops when opening lockboxes or shattering a load of enemies makes the game feel so much better. Having to restart every couple of hours should be a small price to pay, but now the problem is that the game runs so smoothly I tend to forget about performance problems altogether, which means I forget to restart the game.
Didn't expect the game running too well to be a cause for problems, but I guess it is when it runs really well until it fails catastrophically, rather than it just slowly degrading over time.

Also, I ran a few wine version tests, seems Wine versions 1.9.21+ is where PoE 2.4.2 breaks.
I dream of PoE 2 on Source 2 engine. Native Linux support, all the newest technology bells and whistles...

A boy can dream right?
"
databeaver wrote:
2.4.2 seems to break things for Wine. On the 32-bit version, the 3D view flickers madly.

Either disable the multithreaded option in-game, or (in my case), enable CSMT if you're using Wine Staging and keep the multithreading option in-game enabled (edit: engine multithreading may cause crash issues later, see my note below).

I have yet to really play an extended period, but my basic install seems to still start the game up and play without issue. I'm currently using a GTX 960M, Ubuntu MATE 16.10, NVIDIA 375.20 driver, and Wine Staging 1.9.23. PoE is in a 64-bit prefix while using the 32-bit client (afaik this is still necessary to enable High Textures). GLSL left enabled (previous testing showed no difference with it off). Some Act 1 areas average over 100 FPS at 1080p and there's minor hitching when new assets load into NVIDIA's driver cache.

Edit: Alright, so an interesting issue. Randomly when Fire Fury (Act 1 unique in the zone outside of town) is casting Rain of Fire (or whatever the spell is called), the game will crash. GLSL on or off, nor gc 100 help. This only seems to happen with Engine Multithreading is enabled in-game. Disabling it, and I can't seem to get the game to crash in that spot anymore. This hasn't happened at any point in the past (even with the experimental multithreading available via command-line flag a short time ago) so perhaps some of the new DX9 improvements are the cause of this.

"
Chadwixx wrote:
If your on nvidia and have horizontal tearing do this. Poe is running good now (hit a 250 spike today and not going too low), the tearing was consistent and annoying. Something about pipeline

Just a note for Optimus users, this may only help if you're using Xorg 1.19 (there's no Intel iGPU/NVIDIA dGPU sync on 1.18 and lower). As I understand, Fedora 25 is the only mainstream distro currently shipping with 1.19.

"
Chadwixx wrote:
I added Physx, sounded like the one that installs with nvidia exe. Seems decent.

Anyone try that one using an nvidia card?

PhysX (on-paper) should do nothing to benefit PoE. I don't believe PoE uses any NV-specific libraries nor PhysX, and the support for PhysX as I understand is limited and only available with Wine Staging.

"
quirx wrote:
...However, 2.3 also introduced the dependency on the .net framework, which broke the custom wine-build for PoE (i think it was 1.7.27 on PlayOnLinux).

What .NET framework dependency? I've never had to do anything with .NET and PoE on Wine, but if there really is a dependency, it could be possible Mono handles it.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Nov 20, 2016, 7:25:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info