[Official] WINE info thread

Running even briefly through a town instances with many players with various cosmetic effects loaded on them seems to hurt this progressively-getting-worse issue a lot - I'm assuming all those effects end up in memory, instead of being cleaned up.

There is bound to be some simple, stupid bug, like the game calculating too high threshold of when to start cleaning memory up, or something like that. Oh well, soon PoE will go DX11 and this will all be moot, as we won't be able to play it at all.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
Hmmm, you mean because the DX11 support of Wine is lacking, or because it will never be done because of some IP problem? If more and more titles switch to DX11 I guess some day support will be there. When will they switch to DX11? (link maybe?)

Additionally, with Windows 10 being such a pile of crap, I think they should start supporting other operating systems directly :)
Last edited by hochl on Oct 30, 2016, 5:23:16 PM
I believe DX9 support will still remain for machines that can't run DX11.
"
CookieTough2 wrote:
I believe DX9 support will still remain for machines that can't run DX11.

Yes, it will, but it will inevitably bitrot, due to GGG's very limited manpower, and focus on the new DX11 mode.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
"
mruuh wrote:
Running even briefly through a town instances with many players with various cosmetic effects loaded on them seems to hurt this progressively-getting-worse issue a lot - I'm assuming all those effects end up in memory, instead of being cleaned up.

There is bound to be some simple, stupid bug, like the game calculating too high threshold of when to start cleaning memory up, or something like that. Oh well, soon PoE will go DX11 and this will all be moot, as we won't be able to play it at all.

Hm, I think I found a way to mitigate the degrading performance. Going on a abovementioned hunch that there's a bug with memory reclaiming, I tried running "-gc 1", to let the game keep a lean memory footprint, even at the price of frequent long loading screens. The effect was quite the opposite - the game started getting choppy after maybe 10 minutes.

So today I went the other way, and ran the game with "-gc 100" (a silly high number). Surprisingly, I was able to play over 3 hours continuously - I did maybe 30 minutes of normal Dried Lake farming, then I finished act 4 normal and act 1 cruel. There was almost no choppiness, frame rate mostly stayed up at same values as on starting PoE fresh. Twilight Strand was slightly choppy, then later similarly The Climb. But rest of the areas played smooth, including those with ice nova shrines, which normally would almost always kill the performance, if encountered after a few minutes of gameplay.

This of course needs more testing (I'm too tired now, will play more tomorrow), but the way I see it, the bug seems to be somewhere in PoE's garbage collector. I fully expect that with "-gc 100", the game will eventually crash because it will run out of its 32-bit memory limit, but for 3 hours of smooth gameplay, instead of 15-20 minutes is a fair trade-off. :)

The memory usage of the game process, right before I quit the game, was around 3500MB, as seen in 'top'.

EDIT: I almost forgot the kicker: these entire 3 hours I played with sound effects enabled - something that normally kills my frame rate even sooner.
--Harold Sherman
Last edited by mruuh on Nov 2, 2016, 7:10:57 PM
"
_MAL_ wrote:
Make sure to disable GLSL support in Wine/PlayOnLinux, it helps tremendously for playability.

The memory issues hopefully will magically disappear in one of the upcoming patches.. It craps out for me around 3gb (kicks me out with errors) but performance is progressively worst through 2gb and up.

Hetjo mentioned that it was 32bit so couldn't work with more than 4gb which makes sense. Cleansing of the assets in memory doesn't seem to be happening in Wine.

When i disable glsl my screen goes black and get a vertex error when loading into town.

Im using

usp10
d3dx9_36
vcrun2010
riched20
Videodriver

Any other good ones? Combat seem to slow down, but upping my cpu to high or realtime in the task manager for poe.exe helped me some.
Getting better, setting my aa high seems to wake up the video card, 45 fps in town now. Im testing on a coc type so still spiking low. May do the ram drive, my stutters feel like from data flow. It feels similar to my non ssd, maybe plyaonlinux isnt ssd ready and acpi (forget that ones name, uses onboard ssd controller instead of mobo)

Post processing made a huge difference for some reason.

Last edited by Chadwixx on Nov 3, 2016, 12:56:44 AM
"
mruuh wrote:
This of course needs more testing (I'm too tired now, will play more tomorrow), but the way I see it, the bug seems to be somewhere in PoE's garbage collector. I fully expect that with "-gc 100", the game will eventually crash because it will run out of its 32-bit memory limit, but for 3 hours of smooth gameplay, instead of 15-20 minutes is a fair trade-off. :)

The memory usage of the game process, right before I quit the game, was around 3500MB, as seen in 'top'.

Yup, crashed after a few hours of play, process memory was at 3850MB. Smooth gameplay until that, though.
--Harold Sherman
To eliminate fps drop i had to disable multithreading. Disabling GLSL is not an option since i have amd 7850 (i also have a gtx 570 but in fact i prefer 7850 because poe runs much more better with it).
One with the amd GPU can try wine with nine patch (maybe it should work with intel gpu too).
With this 2 options the game works maybe not as good as on windows but is more than playable.

Anyway recent issue with ram usage is very annoying as it is limited to 3,5Gb usage but i hope it will be fixed with the next patch. To be honest even with that issue i can play for half a day without crash.
I'll try with -gc 100 maybe it will fix it.
I've just tried with -gc 100 and the game runs *much* smoother. Memory consumption is constantly increasing, but from what I see it's not that bad.
Last edited by hochl on Nov 4, 2016, 6:08:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info