[Official] WINE info thread

"
Espionage724 wrote:
"
Mork12 wrote:
I installed PoE on Ubuntu yesterday and everything works fine so far. Only exception is that i cant switch to fullscreen or change the resolution at all. This is the error message i get : " Failed resetting Direct3D device objects." Already tried to change resolution in the Config ini file but that didnt help. Does anyone here know how to fix this?

I use Ubuntu 12.04LTS, my hardware is good enough to run this game on Windows with highest settings.
I also tried some other games with wine and they worked fine.

Could try telling Wine not to have the window manager control windows, I had to do this with osu! to get it to fullscreen properly. Downside is (at least in my case), you can't xkill the window if it should crash.

Didn't help me, thanks anyway
I just started playing PoE, installed it in Windows and now I'm trying to have it running in my Ubuntu too (turns out I stopped playing the other games I have in Windows, and it's really annoying to reboot every time I want to play PoE), so I installed it through Play On Linux, copied and pasted my updated PoE directory from Windows to Ubuntu, tried to run it and then I got that error message "Failed resetting direct3d device objects" right after the update screen closed.
I already tried updating DirectX through WineTricks and changing some settings, but nothing worked. Also, I've googled this problem and tried the solutions, but all of the people that had this same problem stated that they could get into the game and the error message only appeared after they tried resizing the window, while in my case I can't even get into the login screen.
So, anyone knows the solution for this problem, or can help me with finding it? Thanks in advance, anyways.
Hi,

I have linux Mint 16 x64 and I have installed PoE from PlayOnLinux.

I have got "error unable to create texture d3derr ... ".

I have read some threads about this problem, I have installed libosmesa6 but no luck.
I also tried to enable GLSL=enable from playonlinux menu but still no luck.

I have mesa 10.2 development version drivers that I have installed from ppa: xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ and my video card is ATI MSI R6870.

here is my debug log from game:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=PmRnTefc

I hope you can help me.
Thanks

edit: I have installed amd fglrx drivers 14.1 and the game worked, but I don't want to use fglrx driver so I removed them and I still would like to know how to make the game works with mesa drivers.
Last edited by konanK on Feb 12, 2014, 1:56:56 PM
Hello.
I have some troubels with run path of exile. I have installed with winetricks directx9. When I open game it gives me this error:

"DirectX Application
Could not initialize Direct3D. You may want to check that the latest version of DirectX is correctly installed on your system. Also make sure that this program was compiled with header files that match the installed DirectX DLLs."
"Path of exile
Failed to initialise renderer subsystem"

And i dont know how to run path with optirun command i trying this:
"optirun wine Client.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Client.exe"
I started playing PoE under Linux (with Intel HD4000 graphics) when the game went into Open Beta, and it's always run pretty well (60fps, running around solo) except for crippling freezes every time I walked near a new enemy or encountered a new environmental effect. I always figured it was something to do with PoE generating new shaders, but didn't really have any idea more specific than that.

I've just watched a video from the recent FOSDEM open source conference, where one of the MesaGL developers talks about how terrible their current shader compiler is and all the awesome plans they have to fix it (and they mention that DOTA2 compiles 11,000 shaders at startup and consequently takes an age to get running because of their terrible compile performance). It's a pretty technical talk, but I was just happy to hear that the Mesa guys knew about the problem and had a plan to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2oujSMDzg
Kubuntu 13.10 amd64 with random updated packages from ppas. mesa is bleeding edge from git.

I've been playing on an old prefix since closed beta, but after having taken a break for a few months I set out to create a fresh prefix in time for the expansion.

I read the PlayOnLinux guide over on the gamepedia wiki, but I want it running under vanilla Wine for the time being. While that guide likely does work for PlayOnLinux, the steps there were sadly not enough to get it to run on Wine 1.7.13 (from the ubuntu-wine ppa).

Error messages and which winetricks dlls solved them:

1. ":5:15 error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER"
--> winetricks d3dcompiler_43

2. "The D3D device has a non-zero reference count, meaning some objects were not released."
--> winetricks d3dx9_42

3. <Patcher is a white screen>
--> winetricks riched20

That was all I needed; no full directx9 nor d3dx9_36, no vcrun2010, no usp10. As such, the libraries tab in winecfg only lists:

*d3dcompiler_43 (native)
*d3dx9_42 (native)
*riched20 (native, builtin)

It runs unacceptably slow on this laptop's Intel Sandy Bridge graphics, but it does run well at lower resolutions on its discrete Nvidia NVS4200 chipset, via primus and bumblebee.

General notes, many already mentioned in this thread:

* Disabling GLSL shaders ('winetricks glsl=disabled') breaks the Intel graphics. Having it enabled seems to cause severe stuttering on the Nvidia graphics.

* Going from windowed to windowed fullscreen gives the error "Failed resetting Direct3D device objects" and crashes the game.

* Going from fullscreen to either windowed or findowed Fullscreen throws the error "Could not find any compatible D3D devices" but does not crash the game. The window will be the same size as your desktop resolution, regardless of the window size you chose. Buttons will also be offset from their positions if your window manager/decorator adds borders and titlebars to the window. Restarting the game applies your settings.

* There's no difference between fullscreen and windowed fullscreen. Whatwith the crash described above I'd just recommend to avoid windowed fullscreen altogether. Note that this means that your desktop will probably still be composited even in fullscreen mode. KWin's 'Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows' doesn't apply, since technically it isn't fullscreen per se. If your window manager supports it you can create probably create a rule to automate disabling it, though.

* General behavior of windowed mode under KWin was bad. Minimizing and restoring the window made it stop updating completely, forcing a game restart. Accidentally resizing the window also causes an immediate crash. Fullscreen works well though. You can work around this by starting the game in Wine's virtual desktop mode; 'wine explorer /desktop=PoE,1024x768 Client.exe' (when in the game's directory, naturally).

* The usual graphical glitches are still there; GGG splash on game start doesn't display, the cursor's bottom is truncated, font is dirty but the regedit tweak seems to help slightly, etc.
Prior to the 1.1.0 update, Path of Exile ran perfectly for me using PlayOnLinux+Wine1.5.28 using Sovyn's guide on these forums (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/57) and on the wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine).

However, since the 1.1.0 update, I have been experiencing severe FPS drops upon nearly every monster death. The game runs smooth otherwise. I have not found any other post on these forums or on the Internets that's been able to help me fix this yet.

I have tried adjusting every possible video setting within the game and outside the game. I have tried numerous other Wine versions and many different prefixes. The game still runs perfectly EXCEPT when something dies on screen, then it stutters terribly... which is really bad when I use a room-clearing skill where all the monsters die in rapid succession. My character is frozen during that time (which will eventually lead to certain death playing in the Invasion league).

This problem has nothing to do with latency as far as I can tell. My latency is very steady in the mid 80s.

Has anyone else experienced similar performance degradation since the 1.1.0 update?

More importantly, has anyone found a solution?

My system:
Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.50 GHz L2 15 MB
64 GB - 8 x 8 GB - Crucial Elite Quad Channel DDR3 - 1333 MHz
4 GB nVidia GeForce GTX 690 with 3072 CUDA Cores
Xubuntu 13.10 64 bit running on 2 x 1 TB SATA III 6 Gb/s 32 MB Cache (as 2 TB: LSI Hardware Raid 0)
Wine and PlayOnLinux running on 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s Intel 530 Series SSD

EDIT: Error in system specs and a typo
Last edited by Malfal on Mar 10, 2014, 10:10:05 PM
Got rid of my computer with an nvidia card and have been having hell playing PoE through wine on my intel HD graphics or amd graphics. I get horrible FPS drops related to abilities/shaders. On Nvidia I could just disable glsl and it would work perfectly... but it doesn't work on the intel or AMD. None of the 3D loads and I get a vertex error when entering the game.

Is there any fix for this or am I basically SOL?
intel cards are pretty much garbage in linux, you are screwed man.
HAIL SATAN!
"
Malfal wrote:
Prior to the 1.1.0 update, Path of Exile ran perfectly for me using PlayOnLinux+Wine1.5.28 using Sovyn's guide on these forums (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/57) and on the wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine).

However, since the 1.1.0 update, I have been experiencing severe FPS drops upon nearly every monster death. The game runs smooth otherwise. I have not found any other post on these forums or on the Internets that's been able to help me fix this yet.

I have tried adjusting every possible video setting within the game and outside the game. I have tried numerous other Wine versions and many different prefixes. The game still runs perfectly EXCEPT when something dies on screen, then it stutters terribly... which is really bad when I use a room-clearing skill where all the monsters die in rapid succession. My character is frozen during that time (which will eventually lead to certain death playing in the Invasion league).

This problem has nothing to do with latency as far as I can tell. My latency is very steady in the mid 80s.

Has anyone else experienced similar performance degradation since the 1.1.0 update?

More importantly, has anyone found a solution?

My system:
Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.50 GHz L2 15 MB
64 GB - 8 x 8 GB - Crucial Elite Quad Channel DDR3 - 1333 MHz
4 GB nVidia GeForce GTX 690 with 3072 CUDA Cores
Xubuntu 13.10 64 bit running on 2 x 1 TB SATA III 6 Gb/s 32 MB Cache (as 2 TB: LSI Hardware Raid 0)
Wine and PlayOnLinux running on 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s Intel 530 Series SSD

EDIT: Error in system specs and a typo

I had been playing some time ago (before 1.1.0), then stopped playing, then couldn't even start the game (not sure what broke).

Today I finally installed a fresh OS - linux mint 16 - and got it to work, however the performance is abysmal compared to what I remember. Unfortunately, I can't find anything online related to PoE + wine (or playonlinux) after the patch..

One thing I noted is that 1.7.16 has even more serious issues than other ones - the image on login screen appears only for split-second every now and then.

I'm currently working my way back through wine versions to see if some has better performance. The recommended 1.5.28 is also terrible.

Will post more results when available - TBH I don't think anything will come out of it, but is currently the only thing I can think of..

Btw, specs (weak GPU yes, but I had played before and can still play on Win7 without problems):

Dell Latitude e6510
8gb ram
Intel Core i5 M560 @ 2.67GHz
nvidia NVS3100M
Linux Mint 16

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info