What's Being Kept from Ambush/Invasion? (Updated July 4)

I sincerely hope that the inclusion of Strongboxes into the game as a whole eliminates the need for traditional chests and barrels as loot sources, allowing them to be eliminated completely from the game. The way I see it, if you want any loot in Wraeclast, you should be required to kill something in order to get it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Jihoko wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
Ambush League
The ambush chests are great fun and will be integrated into the core game. Their spawn rate will probably be reduced slightly, and we'll have to rebalance how Cartographers ones work in end-game Maps (currently they're incredibly effective at dropping higher maps - this is an experiment we're currently willing to let run its course).

One of the currently most beloved aspects of Ambush is the Cartographer's chest. People enjoy having sustainable maps at high levels. This is what motivates people to stick around and play more endgame content.

In standard, endgame players constantly hit a brick wall of RNG when trying to sustain high-level maps and it's beyond frustrating. Frustrating != challenging. Instead of motivating people to play more, unsustainable high-level maps are making people lose interest in their characters, because they're always being forced to grind low-level maps that are already mind-numbingly easy.

Your introduction of Cartographer's chest in Ambush obviously solved this frustration. Why would you want to rebalance (nerf) their spawn rates when so many people enjoy that mechanic?

There's no way that the current state of Cartographer's boxes are healthy long term. I play on Invasion, we don't have any Cartographer's boxes, and I can sustain 77-78 maps just fine. The issues with sustaining high-end maps are blown completely out of proportion. Sure, everyone will have streaks of bad luck but unless you're doing blue 77-78 maps or not chaosing good rolls, you'll have no problem sustaining high maps.

I mean, do you have any idea how much they've buffed the drop rates for maps since release? IMO, even without cartographer's boxes, it's a little *too* easy to sustain 77-78 maps. Maps are meant to be a currency sink. When maps are too plentiful, you get inflation which is bad for the game. In any case, there is *never* any need to farm lower maps if you don't wish to. People sell maps, and a big part of ARPG's is trading.

If you get a bad streak of RNG, instead of wasting your time doing lower maps, drop a few ex on some 77's and go to town. You cannot hit a brick wall mapping unless you build it yourself.

I hope that end game is meant to be for everyone who want to give a shot? Not only for a few players from the top of the ladder that hold 99% of all currency droped on the server and dictate prices of all good items to the rest of player base. From what are you afraid actually? That some unknown guy will be progress faster than you and your friends? Play more than him and you will be just fine!
Mirror of Kalandra?
Heres my suggestion how to rebalance carthographers:
*either make them impossible to reroll ("corrupted")
*or increase the amount of currency you have to use to roll them for example
it could cost 3 chaos to roll a cartho chest instead of just 1

and then keep the same spawnrate, the same contents in it

i really really like to find these carthochests and i spend a lot of currency now
already got get some nice mods on it before i open it
i really dont like to have to do lower level maps just because i ran out of high maps, and
the carthos is the solution to this problem

thanks for listening to suggestions!

My last cartobox was like 10 days ago, currently level 89 playing +74 level maps. I don't think nerfing them even more is a good solution. But well, who I am to say it. All is the same, people making x3 6L in less than a week when I have to spend 400 fuses to 5L, people chancing their awesome uniques (and that "people" doesn't include me), people getting high tier uniques, etc etc.
♠RaGoN♦
cartographers boxes so easy to balance

no + levels

no + 7 additional items

problem solved

though I would be sad because to me and my friends its not a problem and makes mapping more fun than its ever been
S L O W E R
"
The system of guest base monster types was successful and will be integrated into the core game. It will be toned down substantially so that guest monsters are mostly noticeable in higher difficulties (we ramped it very high for Invasion).

Oh yeah everybody "likes" necromancers in ancient Pyramid, packs of 6 alchemists or 8 devourers in Weavers Chambers and 2 regular spiders next to them making the player wonder why the boss isn't a devourer.

Players would prefer random encounters with good droprates(in their opinion not in GGG opinion) without offscreen oneshot bullshit over having annoying packs in every area.
Players hate Invasion because most Vaal Area Bosses are Off Screen Oneshotters without any reward.
The would think differently if they feel rewarded.

"
Other League-Specific Content
The new progression of quivers has been successful. Our current plan is to introduce them to the core game when these leagues end and stop the old quivers from dropping at that point.

Unique Items
We generally do not add unique items from challenge leagues to the full pool when the league ends. With Ambush/Invasion we are examining our roster of Unique Quivers, and may allow these to spawn after the leagues end. If this is going to happen, we will let the community know well in advance.

You aren't thinking much about it, if you have doubts....
You create an unique quiver just to justify the removal of the light quiver and then you still think about posting "Uniques dropping in the challenge leagues only won't drop anymore they might return in future?" Then the light quiver better still drops..(which is imo still a better solution than having to grind an unique)

Those "justification uniques" just suck.
"Hey look we changed Vaal Pact and created some unchanceable unvaalorbable Vaal gloves, offering the old Vaal Pact only gated behind 2000h of grinding or 100h of RMTing"
What's next? Iron Reflexes being kicked at that state adding an amulet adding old Iron Reflexes?

"
RaGoNXIII wrote:
My last cartobox was like 10 days ago, currently level 89 playing +74 level maps. I don't think nerfing them even more is a good solution. But well, who I am to say it. All is the same, people making x3 6L in less than a week when I have to spend 400 fuses to 5L, people chancing their awesome uniques (and that "people" doesn't include me), people getting high tier uniques, etc etc.

For your comfort, i did not get ANYTHING GOOD in 2,5 years of playing PoE! And had multiple 85+ in Nemesis and Invasion! Never chanced anything from only god know how many tries, never had drop that is worth more than 4 exalt, run out of maps on daily base despite they where chiseled and good quantity rolled, never 6L anything by myself, forced to play high lvl maps in bad gear (you know, ANYONE can stomp 77/78/Atziri maps no mather of role in Aegis/Soul taker/BoR and feels good). That is only what i want. To feel good! But i'am not feeling good.
Mirror of Kalandra?
Last edited by ama on Apr 21, 2014, 8:15:01 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I sincerely hope that the inclusion of Strongboxes into the game as a whole eliminates the need for traditional chests and barrels as loot sources, allowing them to be eliminated completely from the game. The way I see it, if you want any loot in Wraeclast, you should be required to kill something in order to get it.

yawnn boring

barrels and boulders are cool

like you never stashed anything somewhere before? get real....
S L O W E R
"
Jihoko wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
Ambush League
The ambush chests are great fun and will be integrated into the core game. Their spawn rate will probably be reduced slightly, and we'll have to rebalance how Cartographers ones work in end-game Maps (currently they're incredibly effective at dropping higher maps - this is an experiment we're currently willing to let run its course).

One of the currently most beloved aspects of Ambush is the Cartographer's chest. People enjoy having sustainable maps at high levels. This is what motivates people to stick around and play more endgame content.

In standard, endgame players constantly hit a brick wall of RNG when trying to sustain high-level maps and it's beyond frustrating. Frustrating != challenging. Instead of motivating people to play more, unsustainable high-level maps are making people lose interest in their characters, because they're always being forced to grind low-level maps that are already mind-numbingly easy.

Your introduction of Cartographer's chest in Ambush obviously solved this frustration. Why would you want to rebalance (nerf) their spawn rates when so many people enjoy that mechanic?

There's no way that the current state of Cartographer's boxes are healthy long term. I play on Invasion, we don't have any Cartographer's boxes, and I can sustain 77-78 maps just fine.

Then you are the lucky guy on the positive end of the variance spectrum. Plenty of people who do chaos their maps until they are sufficiently rolled still do not drop jack shit since that is just how POE works.

There is finally something players are happy about, rejoyce about in forum threads how they had those amazing boxes and such.

And what does GGG do? Immediatly think how they can take that away from players and nerf it since their idea of economically sustaining the game is to have a very small carrot on a very long stick.

Cartographer boxes drop once in a blue moon so it would be no problem to keep them roughly as they are now. But god forbid the company actually allows players to play all parts of the game. Gated content ftw.
"
Jihoko wrote:

There's no way that the current state of Cartographer's boxes are healthy long term. I play on Invasion, we don't have any Cartographer's boxes, and I can sustain 77-78 maps just fine. The issues with sustaining high-end maps are blown completely out of proportion. Sure, everyone will have streaks of bad luck but unless you're doing blue 77-78 maps or not chaosing good rolls, you'll have no problem sustaining high maps.

I mean, do you have any idea how much they've buffed the drop rates for maps since release? IMO, even without cartographer's boxes, it's a little *too* easy to sustain 77-78 maps. Maps are meant to be a currency sink. When maps are too plentiful, you get inflation which is bad for the game. In any case, there is *never* any need to farm lower maps if you don't wish to. People sell maps, and a big part of ARPG's is trading.

If you get a bad streak of RNG, instead of wasting your time doing lower maps, drop a few ex on some 77's and go to town. You cannot hit a brick wall mapping unless you build it yourself.

I've never ran higher than a 76 in standard with my 88 duelist and I never ran anything other than rare maps from 71+/

So don't give me that. In ambush I'm only 85 and I've already ran a 77 and have no problem keeping 74+ maps because of the boxes
S L O W E R

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info