How to enjoy and not endure Path of Exile in 10 steps

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:
This is posted in "General Discussion" but watch it magically be moved to "Gameplay Discussion" or "feedback" to be buried liked most people's meaningful posts.

Well, since your post is about playing the game it does belong more appropriately in "Gameplay Discussion", don't you think? I definitely don't think it belongs in feedback though because you're not giving any feedback. Just some passive-aggressive whinging about shit that everyone already knows. Crafting sucks. Desync sucks. Loot sucks. Hard content is hard. Mods keep moving my posts. It's the POE circle of life.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
It's rare that everyone agrees on a subject here. Yet everyone seems to agree on this.
Bumping in hopes it will get noticed by GGG.
Last edited by Dreamer000 on Apr 16, 2014, 9:59:46 AM
"
Dreamer000 wrote:
It's rare that everyone agrees on a subject here. Yet everyone seems to agree on this.
Bumping in hopes it will get noticed by GGG.

I don't think you've been reading all posts in this topic.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I actually apply OP's "rules for enjoyment" to my real life.

If you start every day on the basis that life is a series of disappointments, then one can live a truly rewarding and enriching existence in any circumstance. Adaptable lot, humans.

P.

Oh, but this is supposed to be a GAME not real life! Something is broken here.

--

Very nice prose there OP! I approve of your use of truth and lies (as Pattern would say :P)
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
kasub wrote:
"

3. Level chars from levels 50 min to 70 max. (Any higher is pretty much experimenting or self punishing unless you have tons of time with no job or life)

I find the game a lot more fun when my build comes completely together at around 80...

This topic is overly dramatic at some points while just wrong at others. Most of it seems to be the perspective of someone on their first lowlevel character in a new league.

These 'low lvl players' are these that are most likely to donate and thus their enjoyment of this gamr is of more importance than happines of people that already donated few times

I think that if long timers want to have a game to play they should at least respect the simple fact that without new players few hardcores wont be able to sustain 50 emplyees and server costs.

+1

It's weird that some people judge others strickly based on their char levels. Hell I've been around since closed beta and still wont bother to level past 70 unless it's to experiment with the skill tree. Sadly I had to spend a few months from April last year through September just trading around instead of actually playing. I believe the ladder leagues hadnt been created at the time.

I rarely post, but when I do it's important. Fighting for the player, not monsters! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/880487

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2300612
"
Dreamer000 wrote:
Op is right.

Despite his post being a subtil attempt at passing his frustration about these issues,
if taken LTTERALLY, every one of his posts are RIGHT.

When I play, I do every single one of his points. (except 6, which I do for fun only) Thats how I play. And everything he says is true.
Basically, dont expect too much and you wont be dissapointed.
Adapt to these facts, and enjoy what is there.

For example, there is no way to get godly items in this game (the drops are always unrewarding, the drop rates of currency are too low to ever be able to buy one, and the crafting randomness makes it impossible) so I dont try, nor expect, to have one. I just use the best of what falls, and when I get a crapload of smaller currency (like a hudred alterations, a dozen alchemy, or a few chaos) I will try to craft a good peice of BLUE gear (with alterations) or buy a useful gem necessary for my build (with a few alch or chaos)

I've learned fast that expecting anything good from the crafting or the drops in this game is conterproductive. Its just a HUGE waste of your time. Might as well just have fun instead.

This thread should honestly be stickied as a few other's suggested. It was difficult finding this particular thread when searching for it. At least being subtle about these issues are better than most guys that rage on here. In fact, this goes perfect with the topic.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:
This is posted in "General Discussion" but watch it magically be moved to "Gameplay Discussion" or "feedback" to be buried liked most people's meaningful posts.

1. Expect to lag or desync at any point in time!! There are certain skills to avoid using which is commonly known to cause it (i.e. Cyclone, Whirling Blades, Flicker Strike, Ice Shot & Summon Skeletons) Avoiding those is not a guranteed method not to ever desync just a reduced chance. **** Dont waste time with Hardcore due to this being a key issue in addition to difficulty with reflect mod monsters and 1 shot killer bosses. ****

2. Dont follow other peopple's "guides" for char builds. (Build "balances" aka Nerfs every 1 to 2 patchs based on w/e popular is streamed.) Create your own and have fun. Successful builds are becoming extremely slim at this point and require specific skills instead of the freedom of making any of the tons of skills actually viable.

3. Level chars from levels 50 min to 70 max. (Any higher is pretty much experimenting or self punishing unless you have tons of time with no job or life) After finishing merciless Dominus just to receive a map as a "reward", it doesnt seem worth the extra effort to continue.

4. Do not expect to find godly rare items nor craft any, using common orbs. (Let's not kid ourselves by wasting currency) Same can be said finding for godly uniques.

5. Any orbs found should be saved for trades for w/e upgrade you might need at a low price, like common uniques or a decent weapon, armor etc..( Trading is EXTREMELY time consuming with having to flip items, argue / debate currency prices before eventuallly bartering actual items themselves.

6. Avoid red areas (corrupted) and rogue exiles. (Vastly challenging fights that will not be worth the time it takes to complete it i.e. crappy items dropped magics or rares and little to no exponetial experience gained). Only engage in that if you want to test yourself. Perfect example of this would be the corrupted boss named Inti, a giant bird that is super hard & fast and lets not forget that boss who uses some ice skill when up close and literally 1 shot kills you from 1-2 screens away!

7. Avoid serious consideration of attempting the collection of all 4 map fragments to fight Queen Atziri. (Dusk and dawn are somewhat common but Midnight and noon can be chalked up as a loss) Aside from managing to gather all 4, the difficulty goes beyond skills and more into requiring expensive gears and be 1 or 2 specific builds to successfully complete it.

8. If a rogue exile is fought and beaten, do not expect them to drop whatever godly gear they used to kick your ass. Instead, look forward to useless blues (magic items) and yellows (rare items). Hence #6's point. Also pointless due to them now having the ability to spam Vaal Skills.

9. Do not waste time "farming" because you'll find yourself wasting hundreds of hours with basically nothing to show for it except tons of common skill gems that are either not worth having due to nerfs or not being strong enough to actually be useful at high levels.

10. HAVE FUN!!! Dont invest time stressing trying to figure out how to overcome the game's faults such as drop rates, difficulty, merry go round trading orb value fluxuations and build nefings. All of those issues have been and are constantly addressed by actual players nearly everyday and does not appear to be likely changed anytime soon.

At this point in the game, it's become blantely obvious that the game is drastically changed in it's gameplay that was initially presented as fun and wonderful in closed / open beta. Now it's more like a constant chore and more work trying to continue playing as it once was instead of accepting the hard reality that the game now is. Dont really give a rat's ass about PvP nor group parties, so it's a shame that the majority of changes are to reflect those.

The only ones that seem to still enjoy this game to the fullest with it's current state are the 2% of guys that complain how things are "OP" (Over Powered) but insist on having the best gears and follow specific builds. It's sad that the game has resulted in people having to avoid 15% of new content added, 30% of current content being increased in difficulty / brick walled which leaves players with the remaining 55% having to either be skipped out completely or avoided due to never being able to acquire high end gears without spending days flipping and trading or resulting to 3rd party websites.

+10 for effort

If this thread were permanent or bumped once a week, there probably wouldn't have been so many "I quit" posts from other guys since this was made.

So to avoid the image above, basically follow these steps....if I had the time I'd post the link to this thread on all these quitting threads.

Level 50-70 sounds about right, it's a legit "endgame" status for anyone even if they finished merciless or not.....good post.

Op is a killjoy.
#NeverGoing90
"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

1. Expect to lag or desync at any point in time!! There are certain skills to avoid using which is commonly known to cause it (i.e. Cyclone, Whirling Blades, Flicker Strike, Ice Shot & Summon Skeletons) Avoiding those is not a guranteed method not to ever desync just a reduced chance. **** Dont waste time with Hardcore due to this being a key issue in addition to difficulty with reflect mod monsters and 1 shot killer bosses. ****

Well, yes... Desync freaking sucks...

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

2. Dont follow other peopple's "guides" for char builds. (Build "balances" aka Nerfs every 1 to 2 patchs based on w/e popular is streamed.) Create your own and have fun. Successful builds are becoming extremely slim at this point and require specific skills instead of the freedom of making any of the tons of skills actually viable.

This is wrong. There are tons of viable builds. You can even pick something off the wall and make it work. Or, you can pick one of the builds off of the class forums. Some are extremely well put together.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

3. Level chars from levels 50 min to 70 max. (Any higher is pretty much experimenting or self punishing unless you have tons of time with no job or life) After finishing merciless Dominus just to receive a map as a "reward", it doesnt seem worth the extra effort to continue.

Don't do this. I've found you need to reach level 80 if you want to 'complete' a build. This can be done fairly easily through running maps or farming library.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

4. Do not expect to find godly rare items nor craft any, using common orbs. (Let's not kid ourselves by wasting currency) Same can be said finding for godly uniques.

If you keep playing you'll find stuff. But if you want legacy gear or one of the top 5-6 drops in the game then you will need to trade, and horde your currency.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

5. Any orbs found should be saved for trades for w/e upgrade you might need at a low price, like common uniques or a decent weapon, armor etc..( Trading is EXTREMELY time consuming with having to flip items, argue / debate currency prices before eventuallly bartering actual items themselves.

You don't have to trade to be successful in this game. But don't use the rarer orbs until you have something end-game to use them on. I alch and chance stuff all the time. Transmutes, alterations, fusings, and chromatics should be used regularly.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

6. Avoid red areas (corrupted) and rogue exiles. (Vastly challenging fights that will not be worth the time it takes to complete it i.e. crappy items dropped magics or rares and little to no exponetial experience gained). Only engage in that if you want to test yourself. Perfect example of this would be the corrupted boss named Inti, a giant bird that is super hard & fast and lets not forget that boss who uses some ice skill when up close and literally 1 shot kills you from 1-2 screens away!

Explore the whole game, unless you're playing hardcore. No reason not to on softcore, just use your portals wisely.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

7. Avoid serious consideration of attempting the collection of all 4 map fragments to fight Queen Atziri. (Dusk and dawn are somewhat common but Midnight and noon can be chalked up as a loss) Aside from managing to gather all 4, the difficulty goes beyond skills and more into requiring expensive gears and be 1 or 2 specific builds to successfully complete it.

When you want to collect the fragments set aside 2 hours to farm City of Sarn. Just run back and forth. I generally have between 1-2 sets after 2 hours of farming.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

8. If a rogue exile is fought and beaten, do not expect them to drop whatever godly gear they used to kick your ass. Instead, look forward to useless blues (magic items) and yellows (rare items). Hence #6's point. Also pointless due to them now having the ability to spam Vaal Skills.

Rogues and jewelers boxes are your best chance to drop rare rings. Kill and open all of them. You may want to carry around alterations for the jewelers boxes.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

9. Do not waste time "farming" because you'll find yourself wasting hundreds of hours with basically nothing to show for it except tons of common skill gems that are either not worth having due to nerfs or not being strong enough to actually be useful at high levels.

Expect to farm in this game. You need to level your gems to 20 so you can use the GCP recipe to get 20% gems. Your drops will depend on your state of mind. If you are looking to drop one of the best 5 items in the game then it wont happen and you will be disappointed. If you are looking to drop useful items that improve your character or build your wealth it will happen many times over the course of an hour.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

10. HAVE FUN!!! Dont invest time stressing trying to figure out how to overcome the game's faults such as drop rates, difficulty, merry go round trading orb value fluxuations and build nefings. All of those issues have been and are constantly addressed by actual players nearly everyday and does not appear to be likely changed anytime soon.

This is a fantastic game. If you can ignore the desync you will have a lot of fun here. I would like to add my commentary to the OP's message. He left out a lot and made a few mistakes.
i disagree with the whole open post. for example, the most fun i had was 6-linking and chancing an unique. i mean you should use currency and take risks from time to time imho
Last edited by ishmael_ on May 12, 2014, 6:08:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info