How to enjoy and not endure Path of Exile in 10 steps

11. Die to PK noobtrap after 3 monthes of playing in hardcore, uninstall and go troll on forums.
Hiya!

You sound fed up with the game. But there is hope! I had the same impression and took to playing D3 for a while, which was a lot of fun. But then I came back because PoE is just different, and made for a cool change. And I got lucky: I found a Searing Touch staff. I then took the easy route of building a templar which uses 2 Searing Bond totems and am having a blast ever since. So here is my commentary on your 10 points:

> 1. Expect to lag or desync at any point in time
Yeah, that is a shame. Just don't play HC and it's OK.

> 2. Dont follow other peopple's "guides" for char builds
Ooh, big mistake. Some of those builds are really good. I've taken a summoner to lvl 76 and am on a dual totem templar which is really strong. I only die (very seldomly) if I get overconfident.

> 3. Level chars from levels 50 min to 70 max
Yeah, levelling becomes a real grind after that. But you can have fun in the lower maps with lvl 70, that's fine. And you find enough good gear to want to start a new char by that time anyway.

> 4. Do not expect to find godly rare items nor craft any
Yes, but now and then something pretty good drops which allows a lvl 70 char to work.

> 5. Any orbs found should be saved for trade
No. I socket and link all the good items I find. Orbs of Chance, Alchemy and Chaos are also very useful. OK, Regal, Exalted and Blessed are saved up until maybe I do find a godly item. The higher orbs are nowhere to be found anyway. I play with only self-found gear, but if you're willing to trade, sacrifice a medium orb or two to get you that one item which allows a char to take off. Then you can play and expect to find more good stuff.

> 6. Avoid red areas (corrupted) and rogue exiles
Only partly true. Most chars die really quickly, because some of these bosses are just crazy. But if you choose a proven build (see point 2), many of them become manageable, some actually easy. And patch 1.1.3 did reduce the more extreme imbalances. Nowadays I actually enjoy playing such areas.

> 7. Avoid serious consideration of attempting the collection of all 4 map fragments to fight Queen Atziri
Why bother? Atziri is for people with too much time on their hands. I wouldn't even try her before lvl 90 and doubt I'll ever have the patience to get there. The common fragments can be used in the map device to increase the drop rate and if you ever find a midnight you could consider trading it.

> 8. If a rogue exile is fought and beaten, do not expect them to drop godly gear
I agree, not once did any of them drop something that excited me. Some rare monsters have "inner treasure" and drop a legendary item, that's much nicer :)

> 9. Do not waste time "farming"
I disagree. There are some areas which drop useful medium currency (Fuse, Alchemy, Chaos,...) and help you level up. Of course, don't spend day after day running the same areas in the hope of finding a godly item, rather continue to the next areas when you no longer level nicely.

10. HAVE FUN!!!
Yes.

Summary: Be happy with good gear, don't pine for godly stuff. You just need one lucky break (or trade, I guess) and you can take off. Then it becomes a lot of fun again. Consider people with top notch gear a strange species which plays a different game and don't try to get there yourself...

See ya,
Treffnixe
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
That Inti boss I mentioned, was one myself and a friend fought while being at level 37 in normal and we died soooo many times that it wasnt funny. We had to invite some high level 70 something guy with a good build just to help kill it. It took all three of us together 15-20 mins to finally kill it!

How is it even possible? There are hard and dangerous bosses, but Inti is in low-mid tier.
Or I am getting it. You killed hundred of monsters and fed his soul eater to pimp leves.
So I guess it is only good that game punishes nobrain-aoe-lovers once in a blue moon. Know your enemy.
So basically your post has the conclusion it's impossible to enjoy PoE.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
Q___Q thread, abandon the thread. Play the goddamn game or not. We don't care what you do with your free time! If you need a guide to how to enjoy yourself, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

2. Dont follow other peopple's "guides" for char builds. (Build "balances" aka Nerfs every 1 to 2 patchs based on w/e popular is streamed.) Create your own and have fun. Successful builds are becoming extremely slim at this point and require specific skills instead of the freedom of making any of the tons of skills actually viable.

3. Level chars from levels 50 min to 70 max. (Any higher is pretty much experimenting or self punishing unless you have tons of time with no job or life) After finishing merciless Dominus just to receive a map as a "reward", it doesnt seem worth the extra effort to continue.

obvious correlation between those 2 points it seems lol.

"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

6. Avoid red areas (corrupted) and rogue exiles. (Vastly challenging fights that will not be worth the time it takes to complete it i.e. crappy items dropped magics or rares and little to no exponetial experience gained). Only engage in that if you want to test yourself. Perfect example of this would be the corrupted boss named Inti, a giant bird that is super hard & fast and lets not forget that boss who uses some ice skill when up close and literally 1 shot kills you from 1-2 screens away!

Also related to 2).
Same for 9)

This is obviously not true for everyone, far from it, but .... for some people, that might be somewhat relevant ( like the OP ).

QQ thread, basically.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
In response to OP:

1) And yet people reach lvl 100 in Hardcore leagues. Desync is manageable in my opinion but of course that anecdotal evidence.

2) Not a problem if you a) play challenge leagues or b) play adaptive

3) lvl 70 is achievable in under 10 hrs of game time. You cant even equip most of the items on that level either. The difference between a lvl 90 char and a 70 is huge (160 base max life is nothing short of amazing for instance same goes for 2 passive points which are irreplaceable). You also wont get near 20/20 gems or decent equipment if you stop at 70. If you struggle to get lvl 90 on your build you are doing something wrong.

4) But you find stuff that others need and with a little bit of market knowledge you can easily trade into stuff that helps you progress.

5) Trading is time consuming if you do it badly. With good prices and a shop (need to be high lvl for that aswell since xyz only display your online status if you are top 15k aka on the ladder of your league) trading becomes your strongest weapon.

6) Shitty builds get culled by harder content nothing new.

7) 1 midnight set costs like 14 chaos in ambush and while its a bit rng heavy to farm you can easily get up to 5-10 midnights a day by farming city of sarn. The atziri map itself is no problem for someone who knows poe mechanics well (many cheap builds can do her just look around).

8) A decent build kills exiles with such speed that exiles are just another rare mob in 90% of the times. In my experience exiles drop pretty well tho.

9) City runs are currently very profitable (midnights sell fast and well, loads of items for the 2c recipe and a lot of boxes if you are in ambush)

10) If you wanna take it casual thats fine but many people love this game because of its competitive nature,

In short: I think you could enjoy this game way more if you spend a little bit more time researching a decent build and carry that one out to 85+ you could enjoy the true nature of the game. If you reroll at low levels all the time you wont ever reach some of the awesome lategame content this game has. The best weapon in this game is your knowledge of the game itself
The reason you keep playing after 70 is not just to level. It's because that's where you find all the good loot. If you stop at 50 and create a new char, you'll go back to finding wisdom scrolls and chain belts.

Also, if you wanna make a pwning character you need to go deep into the 70's to really make your build and items shine. Level 50 char is not going to feel complete, ever.
Last edited by dirkw83 on May 22, 2014, 3:06:58 PM
The one and only real reason to enjoy the game is to quit and nothing else. Never wasted more time in any other games compared to the rewards and fun it gives back to me as the player...so enjoy and don't waste your time too in this all-time beta game.
Its just a game. feel bored? better find something else to do.
The nature of poe would not change much.
Last edited by Tom1989 on May 23, 2014, 9:32:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info