[2.0] Tempada's AAA EK: An Ethereal Knives Guide | 30-60k+ Non-Crit DPS | Affordable | HC Viable

Is this a level 100 skill tree?
"
Burkill wrote:
Is this a level 100 skill tree?

Nope. I'm "only" level 88 and you certainly don't have to be that high to enjoy an EK build. I'm working on the final builds in the last section of the thread, but in the meantime I have an idealized level 100 build up at the top of the page right above my current level 88 build, and there's a level 68 build in the Basic Build section.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
skill tree links are broken?
I have mixed feelings about your build. besides the inner force, going to the left scion tree is a big kill on points. if you want more damage you would be better going spell crit next to annihilation on witch nodes.taking out the cast speeds for more crit. next to written in blood is also the doom cast. shadow's assassination is huge too. Grace wont do much good with that low eva rating as well. better to take scion life out and go survivalist. grab finesse and head to IR and MoM if needed. heres just an idea

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAsNii2cgU9W9qjBa_Ax4PqyaVH0FTNWHiBiObtVVLtUgZiow28-otg_sJKguXBvbacFIF-cSiGo-J05smu-Nw1TIB_rpd8rIZfXUOSM96034RlmHrAF7ven_GBx56UxmO7g6io5Uu7YNW-qOKwfPw1fzFI_aCHpUgj_pJUWeg3Q1Nko192wtrFy0f7Bjr9Yd2W6-86kyzcLtknUp9TirAVAQHrrPyHSmlakMI9Ovkg9tBlm0ZXypVxgVC0PW9gjpYLJxXK1Wu_rNEq-kCj6bfioIQ37AILhXwXkWS8_rr6NbndL46EHvbGpma62MRL9kT
"
clandestinehp wrote:
if you want more damage you would be better going spell crit

The point of this guide is show a viable way to go EK without going crit. I really like your build and it's especially great for softcore, but some players might prefer the higher life potential offered here, plus with this build there's absolutely no worry about reflect.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by clandestinehp on Aug 23, 2014, 1:26:33 PM
"
clandestinehp wrote:
Did you ever see my tank build? May i get your opinions and suggestions on it Tempada? Im not sure if i want to run this one or the crit one above you saw

Hmm, let's see...

First, on the crit build, I'd do something more like this:

Evasion/energy shield/elemental resistance nodes on their own are *generally* pretty bad for what we want to do, so I removed things like Survivalist, Void Barrier, and Nullification and went over toward Harrier instead.

Your tankier tree is going to have very low damage and perhaps not as much tankiness as you expect. Going over to Sentinel and grabbing the resistance nodes above is wasteful since you can max out resistances on gear (although it may be tempting to do it by tree, especially if you're not having good luck with in-game drops).
So.
I have a 75 shadow with EK that looks something like yours.

Everything said by the op is good info.

That said, my experience especially with maps has not been pleasant when it comes to the beyond league.

It works if you are playing normal, perhaps rampage but not beyond.
Reason for that is the way these aliens spawn (the dudes from portals)

EK is a 10-80ish degree damage field so as long as you have everything in front you its all good.

BUT!

In my experience so far they spawn around you meaning that you need to focus your damage at another location. Not a problem really but just very annoying, and with the effect of echo forcing your char to stand still for a second or so makes the utility play of this build feel clunky, constantly having to move im fine with as long as the controls for it feel responsive.
I have pretty solid movement speed,cast speed, and lightning warp ofc but again, echo really messes up the responsiveness.(because it has to wait for both casts to finish)

I usually start with gathering them up, or stand at a doorway using lightning warp to position my self so i can clean the area pointing one direction but the damn aliens come from all sides flanking me and messing up my field of fire =)

Maybe its just me but when I feel that im not in control I just get frustrated.
I guess if you one/twoshot them its okay but that will probably not be the case for a very long time.

I dont mean to be negative, just feel it needs to be said so other people realize this

"
sirdeejay wrote:
my experience especially with maps has not been pleasant when it comes to the beyond league.

Reason for that is the way these aliens spawn (the dudes from portals)

In my experience so far they spawn around you meaning that you need to focus your damage at another location... and with the effect of echo forcing your char to stand still for a second or so makes the utility play of this build feel clunky, constantly having to move im fine with as long as the controls for it feel responsive.

Maybe its just me but when I feel that im not in control I just get frustrated.
I guess if you one/twoshot them its okay but that will probably not be the case for a very long time.

I dont mean to be negative, just feel it needs to be said so other people realize this

No worries, it's a good point. The way Spell Echo roots you in place at lower cast speeds is frustrating, as is the limited area of EK. I leveled with Faster Casting and didn't add Spell Echo until much later (after I grabbed more cast speed nodes), so it was an easy transition for me, especially considering how slow my cast speed seemed a few patches back (luckily cast speed got buffed). What might help you is a skeleton totem. I plop that baby down when I know enemies are coming and skeletons distract them while I pick them off.

You touch on another good point: EK doesn't necessarily feel powerful until your gems are high level and often 20% quality. My build's been a long work in progress, and I've leveled just about every gem twice on my own (once to get to level 20, then I sell the level 20 gem along with a Gemcutter's Prism to get a lvl 1 20% quality gem, which I then have to level again). So it takes a while to build up your dps.
Last edited by Tempada on Aug 23, 2014, 10:44:13 PM
Is this build only MoM with cloak? What do you think is better for hc, IR with evasion stack or es/armour with no IR. Do you you it's still pretty tanky without MoM?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info