[1.1.X] Raging Spirits/Animated Weapons Summoner (with a video)

Yeah i did watch the video and you were doing really good and thats why i decided to make that char. And i agree the skulls have really nice damage, they drop bosses like a knife through butter (they really, really excel at single targets..).

Its just that what im experiencing is completely different, at least in some situations where there are swarms of those chaos snakes shooting those piercing chaos bolts. Sometimes when i have 10+ animated weapons, its not even an issue because they draw 100% of the aggro on the screen but when you arent lucky and dont find any weapons to reanimate, or for some reason you died at a boss and have to come back and theres no weapons anywhere for you to summon, there is only one thing on the screen drawing aggro and thats you.. (i wish the skulls drew aggro..)

Also, there was this vaal dungeon in act 3 where there is this boss (forgot the name, its a merveil tentacle mob type) that spams ice nova every 1 second or so along with some kind of freezing pulse trap, that literally one shots every skull on the screen. There was absolutely nothing within my power to kill that boss, i couldnt even stay on the same screen as the boss, without life leech it killed my ~3k hp with 75% cold resist in a 3-4 seconds. So i felt really powerless and fragile.

Maybe things get better at the really high levels but i am having the worst time of my life trying to run a merc piety... solo.. i have the same exact gem setups you have, though i lack in life gear. I was thinking of dropping the animated weapons and instead try to have some zombies as tanky as possible with minion res gem, minion life, and life leech, but eh, as we know.. they are completely worthless until gem level 20.. so i just dropped the entire char for now.. my resists are all 75% and those arent really a problem, its just the chaos damage obliterating me when i cant draw aggro away from myself.

Do you recall having any problems during lower levels with this or was this a build you made on a old free respec char? And how do you deal with bosses that spam aoe's? Do the skulls get resists with levels and its another one of those stupid ideas GGG had to give them good resist only at lvl 20?
Last edited by shdwknght on May 20, 2014, 4:52:03 PM
"
shdwknght wrote:
Yeah i did watch the video and you were doing really good and thats why i decided to make that char. And i agree the skulls have really nice damage, they drop bosses like a knife through butter (they really, really excel at single targets..).

Its just that what im experiencing is completely different, at least in some situations where there are swarms of those chaos snakes shooting those piercing chaos bolts. Sometimes when i have 10+ animated weapons, its not even an issue because they draw 100% of the aggro on the screen but when you arent lucky and dont find any weapons to reanimate, or for some reason you died at a boss and have to come back and theres no weapons anywhere for you to summon, there is only one thing on the screen drawing aggro and thats you.. (i wish the skulls drew aggro..)

Also, there was this vaal dungeon in act 3 where there is this boss (forgot the name, its a merveil tentacle mob type) that spams ice nova every 1 second or so along with some kind of freezing pulse trap, that literally one shots every skull on the screen. There was absolutely nothing within my power to kill that boss, i couldnt even stay on the same screen as the boss, without life leech it killed my ~3k hp with 75% cold resist in a 3-4 seconds. So i felt really powerless and fragile.

Maybe things get better at the really high levels but i am having the worst time of my life trying to run a merc piety... solo.. i have the same exact gem setups you have, though i lack in life gear. I was thinking of dropping the animated weapons and instead try to have some zombies as tanky as possible with minion res gem, minion life, and life leech, but eh, as we know.. they are completely worthless until gem level 20.. so i just dropped the entire char for now.. my resists are all 75% and those arent really a problem, its just the chaos damage obliterating me when i cant draw aggro away from myself.

Do you recall having any problems during lower levels with this or was this a build you made on a old free respec char? And how do you deal with bosses that spam aoe's? Do the skulls get resists with levels and its another one of those stupid ideas GGG had to give them good resist only at lvl 20?

I leveled this character from 1 to 86 as self-cast Raging Spirit summoner. If I recall, I started using Animated weapons at later level (lvl 60 or so). I didn't recall having much difficulty at any level. Its true that some monsters with high damage area of effect can be a pain in the ass but ever since I started using Melee splash, they are much easier.

I even recall Piety Cruel and Merciless being very easy. Same with Dominus. I'm really not sure what could be the cause of your problems. Maybe we followed different Passives progression ? Do you have decent Faster casting from passives and gear ?
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
Yeah i can keep up 17 skulls if i spam it nonstop (have pretty insane casting from gear considering i'd call it noob gear), but i usually move around more than anything else so its never really always that many, trying to avoid crossfire and also cursing/toteming etc

But yeah im following your passives, this is where im at now (give or take 1-2 points i forget which nodes i skipped), just missing a couple hp nodes and some good aura nodes in ~10+ lvls http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMHYwelCPQRlhUgFvMZhhmKGo8c3B2qHb4elCMYJDwmPCepKPoqTS-dMYg74TyOPydFnUZxSVFJskrIVytXyVltWm1akV-Yaqxr22wWbRlvnnC7c1N5A3qqfRh_xoIegseDCYPbhW2Leo0ckyeYrZrgm7Wio6crp1yofaw_rEe0DMBUwfPDOspKznHT-9sL3FfhiOL36rrrLOvu7Ir22vno-wn8Sw==
Last edited by shdwknght on May 21, 2014, 12:15:57 AM
Spell echo is making this build so much better
Trying this build HC. Now 50lvl everyone mob oneshot me at cruel difficulty. Havnt any descent gear (5l chest| all res 75%), going clarity/anger aura + zombie-totem.
So let me get this straight? No IR? No AA? You use MoM but without Clarity+Discipline?

This build looks good for one man farming Dominus but for my taste it has to be slightly adjusted. With the amount of health you have it should take no more than one pack of hasted titty bitches to fuck you up real good.

What is the reason behind taking MoM without taking AA? AA lets you ignore any hit below 200-300 (depends of level of AA ofc) so that you wont get drained dry by every second pack of ranged mobs those happen to have pierce and/or chain. But to run AA you need really high mana regeneration that is not achievable without clarity+discipline aura combo (unless you will completely stop walking and use only lightning warp to move around). Running 5 auras will make your remaining mana pull so small that any damage above AA treshold will be turning your AA off because of mana insufficiency.

So again, why take MoM if you don't need it? At all.

I would just drop the elemental equilibrium enebler and get a skelly brotem (Spell Totem, Summon Skeletons, Faster Casting, Blind), at least it will add some survivability to the build. Cast lightning spell by yourself (arc?) on bosses and you should be good.

And of course Minion Instability. Is it that bad so you have not spent two points on it? Every spirit should do about 500+ damage on death and considering that they die in dozens to aoe it seems like a nice node to have.

This is the New passive tree I came up with for the latest patch. I managed to get about the same life as before (4100 or so) and about the same amount of mana and mana regen (if not slightly higher). I think the amount of RS I can summon is slightly lower than before though, probably because of the nerf to aura effect passives (for haste)
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info