[1.1.X] Raging Spirits/Animated Weapons Summoner (with a video)

"
Velkor wrote:
Btw, one thing I didn't consider in my Hatred vs Wrath comparisons are the Status Ailments.

Hatred adds a chance to freeze and chill while Wrath adds a chance to shock.

Even if the chances to shock or freeze is not very high for each individual Raging Spirit (5%), the attack speed (3.1 attack per second) and the number of Spirit make it an important factor.

Let's consider 10 Raging Spirits. I consider this number of Spirit to be very easy to reach and maintain (it takes a little bit more than 3 seconds to summon 10 RS with my self-casting build).

So, together, 10 Raging Spirits can potentially attack 31 times per second. Each times with 5% chance to Shock or Freeze depending of the Aura used (Wrath or Hatred). So, how does it translate in terms of chance to Shock/Freeze ? About 79% chance to crit per second, so 79% chance to Shock/Hatred.

Since a Shocked Target take 30% more damage, I think we can safely say that, all other things being equal, Wrath will be superior to Hatred in term of dps because of chance to shock.

However, Freeze targets can't fight back and Chilled targets have reduced attack/movement speed, so this is also useful. Its obviously useful defensively but also offensively if it means Raging Spirits can survive longer. However, the opposite could be said about Shock. If it allows RS to kill monsters faster, it will also let them survive longer.

Anyway, its just another layer of complexity that could be considered in the analysis.

The best way to compare them both auras would probably be to test their clear speed in a controlled environment. That's easier said than done though....

you must remember that shock requires a damage threshold to reached in order for shock to be proced, if the damage is too low shock duration is 0. and this is dependent on the hp of your enemies. dont forget your wrath is subjective to 70% effectiveness and is streaky like all lightning dmg.

what one wants to shock are bosses and rares, its much much easier to shock white mobs but those are already very easy to kill without shock anyway. the only way to shock bosses are those skills with high crit and/or giving strong base damage (eg. fireball with three dragons, i tried it before).

still the dmg effectiveness isn't so bad, purely wrath is highly not enough but
lvl23 wrath+added lightning+static blows node might cut it.
According to my calculations, average lightning damage from raging spirits when they crit is approximately 800 damage against a 0% resist target. This is easily enough to shock for at least a short duration, unless the target has more than 75k life. And with 10+ RS attacking 3 times per second, a short shock duration (300 millisecond is the minimum) is enough to make a big difference.
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
Last edited by Velkor on Apr 12, 2014, 12:29:38 AM
"
Velkor wrote:
According to my calculations, average lightning damage from raging spirits when they crit would be approximately 800 damage against a 0% resist target. This is easily enough to shock for at least a short duration. And with 10+ RS attacking 3 times per second, you don't need very long shock duration.

dont think 800 is big enough for bosses though, which is where shock would be most useful at. and bosses and rare almost always have high possibly overcap resists that even ee and ele weakness (they dont penetrate) might not completely get rid of.
Just a quick querie - how crucial to the build is Eldritch Battery?? Only just starting a flaming skulls build and so not sure of the mana issues that might be encountered at later levels - viable without EB???
since this is a self cast build, a lot of mana and mana regen is needed to sustain casting.
more so since no clarity is used in this build.
so need lots of mana/regen nodes and mods on gear, especially if you start to use 5l raging spirit. so EB is recommended for more mana.
(and i think it might be possible to squeeze in another aura in clarity if u have enough mana to help out with mana regen)

if u are leveling with raging spirits i recommend putting it in a +1 fire wand/scepter/staff (or if u have searing touch). though leveling with flameblast/searing bond is much faster also
"
Mahanen wrote:
Just a quick querie - how crucial to the build is Eldritch Battery?? Only just starting a flaming skulls build and so not sure of the mana issues that might be encountered at later levels - viable without EB???

Like BisuProbe said, EB is important for the high mana regen requirement of the build. So, I don't recommend it.

But if you really want to go Life/ES hybrid you'll have to find a way to regen your ES in maps with the chaos per second mod (very common). There's not many ways to do it :

-ES leech (you'll need ghost reaver and and you'll lose time casting a life leech skill)

-Zealot's Oath (you'll lose Life regen)

-Shavronne revelation ring (expensive and only available in standard)

"
Mahanen wrote:

This exact build might not be able to sustain the mana regen without EB. But there is others. You basically have two choices. You can use EB or you can get most of the Aura increased effects. You get 70% increased auras with a level 20 clarity you will be bringing in a lot mana. This sample tree has 180% increased mana regen, plus another 100% on gear would give you 159 mana/second just from clarity. Plus with 1400 mana you would have another 93 mana/second. So it is doable to run without EB.

Scion Low Life Raging Spirit Summoner
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAACGeTOr0nGDz56ILHKPrT--vuV8mofbiTPI5akacI6rpqrJ2uj0a0DBpsHRTQ0JMnRnHkIqas-tKboRzc4YiDCSlPtQRmnhcv99d_xm-e7DhdxnFNhtHMvKKjEZbKSjrYRtfd85rPJLCFYMHzDkhwu8M6fLtN2GBtQ2OApKrEXIptGeOE2RObtVYtJIuePIx2nYC3MU25O-GIay9vGYqsf_fBgW9Y9bvW4ve29_sJ3uWdxBFQpyuZmhEv9trmgYt662Maj8BUB2NzU1cra9t9GALj7IoHpUmyiECQMw==
"
MartinDeShade wrote:
"
Mahanen wrote:

This exact build might not be able to sustain the mana regen without EB. But there is others. You basically have two choices. You can use EB or you can get most of the Aura increased effects. You get 70% increased auras with a level 20 clarity you will be bringing in a lot mana. This sample tree has 180% increased mana regen, plus another 100% on gear would give you 159 mana/second just from clarity. Plus with 1400 mana you would have another 93 mana/second. So it is doable to run without EB.

Scion Low Life Raging Spirit Summoner
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAACGeTOr0nGDz56ILHKPrT--vuV8mofbiTPI5akacI6rpqrJ2uj0a0DBpsHRTQ0JMnRnHkIqas-tKboRzc4YiDCSlPtQRmnhcv99d_xm-e7DhdxnFNhtHMvKKjEZbKSjrYRtfd85rPJLCFYMHzDkhwu8M6fLtN2GBtQ2OApKrEXIptGeOE2RObtVYtJIuePIx2nYC3MU25O-GIay9vGYqsf_fBgW9Y9bvW4ve29_sJ3uWdxBFQpyuZmhEv9trmgYt662Maj8BUB2NzU1cra9t9GALj7IoHpUmyiECQMw==

I'm not sure if you looked at my self-casting RS build (from the original post), but it does include both EB and +70% aura effect as well as +100% mana regen. In addition, I have 187% mana regen from gear. At this point, my mana regen is high enough (200 mana/sec) that I don't need Clarity. I might consider using it when my RS skill will be at level 20 and my mana consumption will to up.

However, if I run Clarity, its most likely won't be Level 20 Clarity. Level 20 clarity reserve a massive 440 mana. That's a lot for any build. For a build without EB, its even harder. Almost impossible, unless you don't plan to use any other aura which would be unwise for a Raging Spirit Build.

Finally, there's another disadvantage of running Clarity with this build : It makes Mind Over Matter less effective. For Mind Over Matter to absorb big hits, you need a sizable mana pool. Running Clarity would reduce the max amount of damage I'm able to absorb via mana. For the record, with my current setup (3 auras : Haste/Anger/Wrath), I have about 700 available mana. That means my mana is able to absorb 40% of the damage from hits, as long as the hit isn't bigger than 1750 damage.

Btw, I'm curious, what's the benefit of running a Low Life build for Raging Spirits ?
Last edited by Velkor on May 16, 2014, 11:56:09 PM
Well obviously you wouldn't use Mind over Matter on a Low Life build or CI build. You will generally have more ES than life on a Life build. Then with all the mana reduce nodes you shouldn't have much trouble running several auras, plus if you go low life you have even more auras. The main aura you need to use is Hatred, with Anger and Wrath helping, but not nearly as much as Hatred. I think somebody ran the numbers and said you get over 60% increased damage from Hatred with 70% increased auras, but only 15 to 20% for Wrath. So a CI and Low Life build is a viable alternative to your EB build. You might give up a little bit of damage by not running all the damage auras by running CI, but you get immunity to Chaos which is becoming a common damage type of bosses. Its all about choices.
Oh yeah. I forgot about the additional auras you can get with a low life build.

About Hatred. I ran the numbers. Its slightly superior to Wrath and Anger, but the difference is not nearly as big as you mentionned. And if you factored in the extra damage from Shock stacks of Wrath, I'd say Wrath comes on top. That is, except against monsters you can't shock (the ones with more than 75k life +, 0% resist, or 37k life and 50% resist)
Last edited by Velkor on Apr 17, 2014, 9:48:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info