People are not playing now because of d3/eso, but everyone will be back soon.

"
Peapodsp wrote:
game is boring

quit now

game is fun, I keep playing
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
^have fun doing maps all day lel

"
Peapodsp wrote:

No U
"
:(

I want to fucking cry.

GGG turns your 5ms latency into 5000ms with shit servers and implementation (reliance on prediction). Don't get fooled into thinking latency doesn't matter when it's simply being dictated by their methods.

If for instance the server updated the client at the same rate as the server processes, even if you have 5ms latency, the simulation would be slightly desynced. That would be your typical 'lag'.

Now the thing is, if you take a value on the server simulated at say 60fps and you only update that value on the client, say, at 0.1fps, you have effective state latency of up to 10000ms.

This is kinda what happens with PoE, imagine you only take a snapshot every 10 seconds, or when a certain error threshold is met, in between those snapshots, shit is made up, because it's non-deterministic, the 'prediction' can't account for external shit and you desync.

Rubberbanding/resync is the visual result of error correction, desync itself is the buildup or more correctly the magnitude of error, if the error tolerance is lower, the state would update more and you'd see more rubberbanding. PoE relies on having to NOT update state but fails.

In the simplest way possible (and I don't claim it to be representative, just the basic mechanism), pseudocode for the major factor in state synchronization:

If (error<allowance) //desyncing, accumulating error (and effective state latency)
return;
else //resync
update(client, state);

FYI, that allowance, in the case of getting stunned(!) is 2 meters.

This also doesn't cover the potential of the system doing more forcible rate limiting, which I suspect is happening too (/oos style limit).

Edit:
Yeah, I'm probably being a bit critical and going a tad far as usual, but fuck it, PoE desync isn't acceptable.

That's right. That's what I said. You are agreeing with me but you do not realize it. I said that desync is not due to latency but due to how GGG has designed the server to communicate with the client. That's also what you said. No matter how low or how high your latency you will still desync. It has nothing to do with "lag". By the way the servers are not "shit" as far as hardware and network goes. Softlayer is one of the best server providers there is, with an exceptional network and also really expensive.

Edit: by the way I completely agree that it's not acceptable.
Last edited by glh5 on Mar 29, 2014, 8:29:16 PM
i have never, in about a year of playing, found desync to be that big a deal.

once in a while i type /oos.

I've never even died due to it, maybe once or twice, when i didnt really care anyway.

I have multiple toons 80+, dont understand what the issue is. It must be lag related somehow.
"
I've never even died due to it, maybe once or twice

I've not eaten an apple today but maybe three apples though.
"
glh5 wrote:
"
I've never even died due to it, maybe once or twice

I've not eaten an apple today but maybe three apples though.

K that was pretty funny lol Dsync has never been a problem for me personally but I sympathize with those that are having a worse experience because of it
"
Peapodsp wrote:

Ok? Maps are pretty much the best endgame I've seen out of any action rpg.
PoE for life, brah.
"Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment." - Millennium
Not sure...

Any game out there loses players over time. It's normal. On steam launch they had around 34k active players at peak. After 5 weeks it dropped to 23k. Than slowly kept dropping to around 10k. Right before the launch it dropped to 8k at peak with 4k as bottom.

After the update it went back up to 19k and it seems to lose around 2k players every week.
So in short without this update it wouldn't look good for GGG. I would predict that they had around 6k players (steam stats). The dropping will stop at some point and the "core" players will stick to the game.

I do think ESO en the new Diablo expansion does draw some attention. But to be honest, ESO isn't something I'm looking forward to. This is actually made by Mythic Entertainment who made Dark Age of Camelot and you can really feel the old DAoC style.
I rather saw a "Skyrim" clone with coop support (4 players/dungeon) with some racial vs racial or mages guild vs thiefs guild option. Than this MMO pile of shit from Mythic. (There are many good things about this game though)

As for Diablo, well Blizzard ain't Blizzard anymore as we know it. I think it was taking over by EA?? (not sure). But in short they released one of the most anticipated games in history but managed to turn it into a big turd.
The new expansion doesn't release anything "new" to the gameplay. It's actually "updating" all the mistakes they made in the previous release. But instead of doing that for free (hell they made that mistake), they are asking their players again for money.

Hence, I think I like this free-to-play model and this is something that will keep me attached to this game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info