[1.1.3] HitMe's Invasion Wings Dualstriker "Manmode confirmed" **Cheap and Effective!**

Hello! This is my first guide! People keep asking me why I played melee and wanted to know how I built my character. I decided to make a build thread about it because its strong for a relatively minimal investment. Invasion also needs more melee characters. :)

I will answer any questions you might have. PM me over the forums or post your questions in this thread (I check it every 1-2 days and I will try to answer them as fast as possible.
If you want a more expeditious response PM my in-game @Wings_of_Light or add me as a friend.

Hit Level 90!

Let's start it off with some hyperbole:
Step 1. PICK UP WINGS OF ENTROPY.
Step 2. WATCH YOUR DPS SKYROCKET THROUGH THE ROOF AS IF LIFTED BY THE HAND OF A HIGHER POWER
(possibly Dominus has a twin brother?) AND GLORIOUSLY BESTOWING UNEARTHLY MIGHT UPON YOUR SHRIVELED UP TINY, LITTLE LITHE RANGER BODY (seriously though she is like a twig).
Step 3. LAUGH MANIACALLY AS YOU CRUSH MERCILESS PIETY SCOFFING AT JUST HOW EASY IT IS
(be careful of those Lunaris Invaders they are the scaries and will give you the weepies. Remember "Skippies or Rippies").
Step 4. GET SOME AWESOME MICRO-TRANSACTIONS TO LOOK LIKE YOUR ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
(most important step).
Step 5. GET INTO MAPS AND SLAM THE DAMAGE ALL OVER EVERYTHING
(even your group if they look at you funny).
Step 6. REPEAT STEP FIVE IN MAP GROUPS SO THAT YOUR PARTY MEMBERS CAN PHILOSOPHICALLY QUESTION THEIR LIFE'S DECISIONS. ATTEMPTING TO GLEAN INSIGHT INTO WHY THEY ARE NOT A MANLY MAN LIKE YOU.

Index
1.0 Build
2.0 Banditos
3.0 Gear
4.0 Defenses
5.0 Skills
6.0 Leveling guide
7.0 The Temple of Vaal Cyclone: Triumphant Victories and Glorious Defeats

1.0 The Builds
*Note* Duelist, Marauder, and BoR builds are not utterly optimized (they're more for reference).

Spoiler

Ranger (The Main Build)
30 Points

Going after the life nodes is what builds the foundation for this build. I only pick up Iron Reflexes
once I am able to run grace, prior to that it is not as effective.

60 Points

At 60 points spent the build is at 194% max life and has enough DPS nodes to not be a drag while leveling.

Resolute Technique

Now we head straight towards Resolute Technique. With the strong foundation we have already built getting to Resolute Technique is a lull in the progression of this build. But, at the end the DPS increase and overall versatility and sustainability RT provides more than makes up for this. Also pick up Wisdom of The Glade if your character was like mine, being a very dumb, dumbolini.

The End-Game Build (94 Points)

This will shift your points out of the four 8% health wheel north of iron reflexes, and start spending them towards getting closer to Elemental Adaptation (picking up the health nodes on the way. This gives the build a solid HP pool, works our way towards the 2% and will give intelligence which helps run Hatred. Also sets you up for getting Sovereignty.

Level 90 Build

Sovereignty allows the player to run Faster Attacks instead of Blood Magic on their 5L. Frenzy charges fit in very well with this build working in tandem with Bloodrage, with 282% Max Life and a good chunk of DPS from the tree this build is pretty much done at this stage. :) (good luck and be safe out there).

Level 90 BoR Build
This Build requires alot of gearing, and is to rich for my blood currently. But, this is the build that I would take into 76+ maps if I could. Sovereignty is unnecessary with BoR because running a 6l off of mana is very hard and not very reliable. So chances are you will end up just putting Blood Magic into the 6th link anyway. This frees up 4 points to go elsewhere. At 312% life this build is massive. But, the gear for this will be very expensive and Chaos Resistance will be hard to get.

2.0 Banditos
Spoiler
Oak
Oak
Kill

3.0 Gear
Spoiler

My Current Gear

Second Weapon Set (used for gem leveling and Leap Slamming to Piety):

The Gear I Hit 90 With !PSST~ ITS CHEAP! ;)

My Flasks (Very Important In Invasion)

Gems I Use In Some Capacity Or Another

Gems I Use:

Gems I'm Leveling:

Gems I Keep In Inventory:

Life Leech is for Vaal Cyclone if nessecary, Blood Magic is for Leap Slamming to Piety, and Purity of Fire is for leveling (I had to level my 2 new 20% quality support gems for Dual Strike).

Shopping List
Bringer of Rain
Better Jewelry and Accessories (Fix the resist holes that BoR, Rainbow, and Lazhwar will create).
Rainbowstrides
Stone of Lazhwar

4.0 Defenses
Spoiler
Character Defense Picture

5.0 Skills and Links
Spoiler
Dual Strike/Spectal Throw DPS Pictures Self-Buffed DPS

Dual Strike

Spectral Throw

Links Setup:

Dual Strike

Without Sovereignty

4L: Dual Strike (Whatever Level) - Melee Splash - Multistrike - Blood Magic
5L: Dual Strike (Whatever Level) - Melee Splash - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Blood Magic
6L: Dual Strike (Whatever Level) - Melee Splash - Multistrike - Melee physical Damage - Faster Attacks - Blood Magic

With Sovereignty

4L: Dual Strike (lvl 5) - Melee Splash - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage
5L: Dual Strike (lvl 5) - Melee Splash - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks
6L: Dual Strike (lvl 5) - Melee Splash - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks - Added Fire Damage

Spectral Throw

4L: Spectral Throw - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Faster Attacks - Physical Projectile Attack Damage
5L: Spectral Throw - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Faster Attacks - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Added Fire Damage/Life Gain on Hit
6L: Spectral Throw - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Faster Attacks - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Added Fire Damage - Life Gain on Hit

Cast When Damage Taken

Solo Play
Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Enduring Cry - Enfeeble

Group Play
Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Enduring Cry - Increased Duration

Vaal Cyclone
With Bloodrage
Vaal Cyclone - Life Gain on Hit - Increased Duration - Bloodrage

Without Bloodrage
Vaal Cyclone - Life Gain on Hit - Increased Duration - Blind

Aura's
Grace - Hatred - Reduced Mana - Purity of X

Movement Skills
Leap Slam (I currently have it unlinked)

6.0 Leveling Guide
Spoiler
Leveling Guide

At the start using 2 Iron Rings and a Rustic Sash really ramp up your damage.

Personally I use Rain of Arrows and a bow to level till level 10. Then, I switch to Two-Handed Leap Slam.

For when I switch out Iron Rings it is mostly personal preference. I usually switch it out based upon what I am doing.
EX:
Sapphire Rings for Merveil.
Topaz Rings for Chambers of Sins lvl 2/3.
Ruby Rings for Western Forest.
Unfortunately with implementation of invaders this has become less effective and it all comes down to personal skill, judgement and preference.

Starting Weapons:
I use Rain of Arrows skill.
The Vendor Recipe on a Shortbow is a good way to maintain your clear speed, when the Crude Bow starts to fall off.
The Vendor Recipe is as follows:
Weapon + Blacksmith Whetstone + Rustic Sash (The %IPD roll is based upon whether the Rustic Sash is White, Magic, or Rare. This can also make the item unusable if the tier is too high for the level of the character. I use this recipe when prudent until level 18.

At level 18: Wideswing Use Leap Slam skill. Wideswing is one of the best cheap leveling unique's IMO, because the 10 Mana Gained on Kill sustains the players mana pool so well. I use Wideswing until level 35.

At level 35: WE GET MIGHTFLAY'S!!!
Use Dualstrike + Melee Splash + BM/LGoH. For a period of about 10 levels Mightflay carries pretty hard (granted not as hard as Facebreaker and Meginord's, but, is far cheaper). For this period bask in their glory. They can bring you up 20 levels without needing to switch, but its prudent to switch around level 52-60.

52-60: Pick up some rare 1-handed weapons that pull ~190 DPS (they should go for around 1-3 chaos). Weep at your inability to equip Wings of Entropy. But, bide your time anticipating the effect WoE will have on your build.

60+:
The rest of the guide explains the remainder of the build.

7.0 Temple of Vaal Cyclone
Spoiler
Tremendous Victory
That Time I Vaal Cycloned Kole (Carnage)
I Vaal Cycloned on a Colonnade Map this Vaal Cyclone consisted of:
1x Kole
1x Black Guard Blue Pack (yes this means Lightning Thorns, Topaz Flask OP)
1x Blue Pack of Skeleton Rhoas
1x Move Fast and Attack Faster Aura Totem
1x Allies Cannot Die Necromancer
~as well as assorted white mobs~

Kole Slammed me and brought me down to 40% hp and I healed back to full instantly. I proceeded to spin never dropping below 90% life again... I had to Leap Slam out after the skill ended (fuck that necromancer lol), and I killed the necro and everything else was already 1 kill from death so I just Spec Throwed like twice and they were deadsaucezz, Then I ran at Kole ~80% HP and click my right click onto him and never let up. (Granted this was only 71 map but still pretty rippy, our penta-curses died almost instantly while clearing the rhoas).
Glorious Defeat
Placeholder
Halls of the Fallen
Shadow after I pulled a reflect rare into a big pack.
Shadow after I Vaal Cycloned a reflect map and he attacked into it.
Ranger who desync into the Vaal Cyclone and died instantly.
Spoiler

F.A.Q.
Spoiler
Q: Why don't you use Bringer of Rain?
A: Bringer of Rain creates several Elemental and Chaos Resist holes with it equipped. I currently cannot afford the gear required to make Bringer work so I cannot pick one up. I pull more DPS without a BoR than with one. So the most plausible justification for picking up a BoR is the block chance, which ultimately is where you will want to end up. Essentially I am a poorfag. :)

Q: Why Ranger?
A: I like the extra little bit of max life % and I feel like their starting area lends more to survivability in the early and mid-game, remember at the start Invasion it was pretty rough ;)

Q:
A:

Q:
A:
Last edited by HitMeWithLiGht on May 18, 2014, 4:53:29 AM
Do you use any curses or utility skills with that?
Yeah I've been working on my helmet going to be using Cast When Damage Taken with Enfeeble/Vulnerability - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call.
Great guide! What are your thoughts on grabbing steel skin and sentinel as you are already so close to them?
thanks ^.^! I would however only spec sentinel if I was going reflexes and maybe the skill duration nodes *if they effect Vaal Cyclone*. As for Steelskin I see no reason not to get that node except for the fact that I don't want to spend to many points in the duelist tree and Leather and Steel nodes are more effective.
I just have to reply.
Nice build, i started my Ranger in Ambush first as a Variante of maxBo's physical SplitArrow Guide (CoC + EK).
It was fun but something was missing for me with a Ranger as Char in Standard.

And here we have this sweet build i had the chance to Respec a lot and got a my hands on the Wings.

Right now im LvL 77 with this Gear

Spoiler

My Passive Skill Tree looks like this

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B5wOHBS0ILhIgFCAUcRR1GE0YkRjbGYUZjhutHcohYCP2JJskqiXfKNsppTSTNug26TrtQKBHfkp9TipQR1b6WfNZ_lpIW69ei2BLY3BlTWaeZ4BnoG5pcHJyqXK7dEF07XTxeEl673zZfPV9dYCKg3yE2Yd2iiKQVZuNnrmhbacwqAesqrZBuc2-p8APwBrApsDzz_jSTdN-3Q3f7-Nq6hjtg-4O707veu_j7_D3MvdN-Ov60vzF_ro=

At the Moment i have 3597 hp ; 550 Mana
i run hatred and clarity at the Moment.
my DPS with Dual Strike = 11600.1
DPS for Spectral Throw = 1876.2

and for the Fun i just trow a smoke mine or use flicker strike :D

Thx a lot for posting and sharing your build :)
PS: Vaal Cyclone is just awesome :D
IGN: RubbldiKatz
Thanks man means alot actually! ^.^

Not many people have converted too the church of vaal cyclone but it is glorious + if u want survivability just link lgoh and lifeleech. (I was able to pull in twinned promenade bosses and survive the lightning thorns with the leech and a topaz flask)

You build is what i'm probably going to respec to when I get to 102 points i'm going to spec out of athleticism and i might spec out of splitting strikes but idk dat deeps.

and your 112% wings (i'm like crying over here). =P

5-link dem wings or chest piece pull dat 16-7k dps with melee phys YUM!
So i'm leveling a character in invasion following this build.

Is it a good idea to pick up blade barrier. and drop a few points somewhere and equip a stone of lazwhar and rainbowstrides? So in passive nodes i would pick up 6% more block.

So basically i would drop a few damage nodes somewhere to pick this up. Will this benefit my character defensive wise ? And would it be worth it?

As far as gear goes. Is pure evasion gear the best to go with IR. Or is EV/Armour gear the best way to go?

Also i'm looking for atleast 5k hp. I should be able to obtain this with decent gear right? Considering you have I believe +-240% life nodes.
Last edited by Shibby88 on Apr 3, 2014, 5:24:56 AM
heya shibby!

Blade Barrier is shit (to be frank xD)
if you want more block try to fit swagger into your build (really wouldn't be that hard i'll show you a build that would kinda go that way in spoiler)

As for Lazwhar + Rainbowstrides combo its definitely doable, but only if you pick up a Bringer of Rain because dual wield is pretty limited in the %block we can *feasibly* get.

As for dropping some damage nodes it will work (probably pull like 13k dps). on an iteration of my final build I respec out of damage nodes and ill edit the post to show for that.

For the question of if it would be worth it to build more defensive the answer is a pretty straightforward yes. 240% max life is great but I'd stay out of 76+ maps with that %maxlife on a melee character.

EASILY get 5k hp. I'm at 4.8k at level 80 with some pretty crap pieces (ring + ammy specifically).

*EDIT* The later end-game build is the build that I will be respeccing too when at that level. ^.^
Last edited by HitMeWithLiGht on Apr 3, 2014, 8:23:59 PM
*Update to guide* (pretty pictures, fun anecdotes, and depressing defensive stats ^.-*

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info