A Veteran's Proposal for a Self Found League - Poll Included!

"
CanHasPants wrote:
What if GGG just up and removed every single orb from the game, and removed all potential for future orb drops? That's not to be taken as "we should do this!" just a proposal to consider.

Would that improve or worsen the game? In what ways? What systems would be weakened by the removal? What could be done to reinforce those systems post hoc? Would those systems be improved by those reinforcements, in light of the removal of orbs?

As I said, just something to ponder. I think it may lead to some interesting conclusions, if given honest consideration.
Trading would essentially fall apart, because low-level players would have literally nothing of value to offer to higher-level players.

I view this as a bad thing, because I view trading's primary function as: make decent gear extremely cheap for players who are entering a league late, enabling them to catch up faster.

Currently, trading works as far as that goes. If I started a Standard character right now and got to A3 Merc, it would be easy for me to acquire very decent, playable gear for a small number of Chaos, due to the saturation of such items on the market by this point in time. This isn't to say the very best gear isn't very expensive, and it would still be very hard to catch up to those at the very top, but trading would make the climb faster.

In contrast, those at the very forefront of progression, at the top of the ladder, tend to have the best gear, and thus the least available of upgrades is provided to them by the market. In exchange, orbs flow to them, which they use to gamble previously nonexistent upgrades.

The problem with the system is not that orbs flow to those at the top; this is their function, as the one thing which high-level players want and lower-level players have. The problem is that the decision of the lower-level players to feed the currency upwards is too easy. Orbs are essentially the only thing lower-level players can use to trade with higher ones, so as long as it's of some use to the higher-level players, it will be used as the de facto currency. There doesn't need to be such a large schism between the utility of orbs to high-level players, and the utility of orbs to lower-level ones.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I also disagree with point C, it hink any trading should be disabled, but partying could be enabled so people can do maps with their freinds if they run out.

And as the IIR/IIQ increase goes i suggest upping it to an insane amount, if its self found then no economy exists so every single orb we find we will use on items, and with the crafting system that relies on RNG we will need a lot of orbs.

IIR should be increased a lot since now people can very easily become stumped in cruel difficulty and early merciless without trading, we would need quite a lot of items to drop since very few are usable anyway.

I really want this, its literally a game saver for us who are tired of the rampant RMT thats going on in the normal leagues, i would love to play in a self found with my friends and just have fun, instead of constantly focusing on getting exalted orbs and farming like a maniac for some items that have ridiculous prices because of botters.

Please, GGG, add this, at least for a test, im absolutely sure most people will like it and a very large amount of players will return to the game
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Mar 25, 2014, 3:06:38 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
If I started a Standard character right now and got to A3 Merc, it would be easy for me to acquire very decent, playable gear for a small number of Chaos, due to the saturation of such items on the market by this point in time. This isn't to say the very best gear isn't very expensive, and it would still be very hard to catch up to those at the very top, but trading would make the climb faster.

Standard is no longer about trading for incremental upgrades. The league has matured to a place where once you have gear to run maps the only upgrade path that makes any sense is to mirror perfect items or buy (legacy) uniques.

Perfect 6 stat items exist for every high item base in the game & the 'cost' of a mirror + fees is statistically way less than rolling it yourself. Any player looking for an upgrade past 'decent' gear should be converting their currency into mirrors & fees as it is not only the most economical method but also the fastest way to obtain items that cannot be upgraded further.

There is absolutely no way to 'catch up to those at the very top' in Standard without employing illegitimate practices, a legitimate player will never compete with mirrorable items and there is no need to even try, they are already perfect so don't even kid yourself, just save up your currency & buy a mirror.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Poll here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LVR788Y

My proposal for the structure of a test SFL is as follows:

A. Use the Ambush league as a base
B. Make any items bind-on-pickup
C. [OPTIONAL] Continue to allow the trading of orbs, gems and maps (although I don't feel strongly about whether orbs should be tradeable or not)
D. [OPTIONAL] Increase base IIR in the league by c.50-100%
E. [OPTIONAL] Increase the drop rates of most orbs, but especially Orbs of Regret by a large amount (10x?) and reduce their relative cost from vendors
F. Run a 2-3 month test SFL league commencing halfway through the current 4 month leagues or between leagues

C. Really don't like trading at all.
D. Meh, not really for this.
E. I would only increase drop rates of Exalts, Regals and possibly Alchs, Chaos, Divines and Blesseds. Meh for Eternals. Want increased chances at crafting, but nothing too easy. Regrets are farmable. Not in favor of increasing drop rates for anything that you can buy off of Clarissa.
I think that a 2-3 month test is a bit long. I think 1-4 weeks would be better.
I firmly believe tat a league should be ran without any boosts. This would give a baseline. I would like to see this league ran for one month at the 3 month mark of the current leagues.

Keep the strong boxes though
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Strong boxes, especially in their current form, are definitely a solution greater than "buff drop rates."

If anything, by the end of a test league, if the self found experience is found to be lacking in the absence of trade (as to be expected, but I mean excessively so), then the correct answer very well could be "buff strongboxes' rate of appearance."

(edit: @Scrotie: may reply later; too much activity today, am winding down now, and ill equipped at the moment for a proper response)
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Mar 25, 2014, 10:52:00 PM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
I firmly believe tat a league should be ran without any boosts. This would give a baseline. I would like to see this league ran for one month at the 3 month mark of the current leagues.

Trading = a boost.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
am winding down now, and ill equipped at the moment for a proper response)

Is there a better equipment to tackle any situation than a can of beer? :)
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
glh5 wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Trading = a boost.

What?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info