A Veteran's Proposal for a Self Found League - Poll Included!

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Well at a very minimum the switch should be made on the Hardcore side of the house; on that particular point I won't budge. I mean, just thinking about it: your Hardcore character just died (because this is what Hardcore characters inevitably do), you are about to start a reroll, you know you will inevitably die again, so which league do you pick? The situation itself heavily favors the temporary Hardcore league.

Yes, I wrote something along that vein myself recently, there isn't much permanence in the nature of hardcore playing, you will get killed sooner or later. Philosophically speaking, we could even say your char wasn't hardcore if he didn't die, in other games it's hardcore if he survived to the end but ARPGs have no such 'end', so end of temp league can double for one.

And, besides, we can all see there just isn't much demand for permanent HC league, currently 1% of playerbase or something, I think.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
And, besides, we can all see there just isn't much demand for permanent HC league, currently 1% of playerbase or something, I think.
That's why I say just replace it with a Season Race.

By the way, another idea: have the Season Race be the parent to the various minor races (for living characters), so that you could use a shorter-duration race event to springboard either a new character or a reroll into the Season Race.

Thus it would still kind of be four leagues:
1. Permanent softcore - no challenge mods
2. Temporary softcore with challenge mod
3. Permanent hardcore with challenge mod
4. Temporary hardcore, no challenge mod, as race event; also parent to all other racing events
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 23, 2014, 8:04:31 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
"
Zaanus wrote:
I see no issues with a SFL, however it would fragment the playerbase even more which is a bad thing. And really, no one forces you to trade.
There would be no change as far as fracturing. The people inclined to play SF are already doing so.
If that's the case, why do they need any special accommodation whatsoever?

A ladder board to check up on peers playing the mode. To see who's where, etc. Same thing all of the other leagues have.

It's really not much of a big deal to do because the means is all there already.
Wow, finally get home from work eager to contribute to this thread and I can already tell I am outclassed.

At any rate, I rarely play poe these days and something like what Petrov is proposing would indeed spark my interest again. Would it be enough to keep me playing/supporting... there is no way to tell. But it does sound fun and I like the idea of a smaller community and LOVE the idea of no more trading with total jerkbags.

Anything that could bring me back to enjoying poe once more has my vote!
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
"
So when do we get to see the results of this survey and the whole 100 people who voted?

So far (only) 65 responses - so far holding steady at c.90% in favour, or maybe in favour (depending on details), of testing a dedicated SFL.

Charan do you think you could move this thread to General Discussion, as its scope is a bit beyond feedback?

http://imgur.com/GSzyRuN

P.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Mar 24, 2014, 3:52:43 AM
"
I don't 'move' threads. We volunteer moderators were rather unceremoniously retired a while back. I email support and I alert them. Sometimes I plead.

You should do the same.

65 people? oh dude, that's just embarrassing.

I am dedicated to an Arc hard-casting Shadow and even that is less of a lost cause than this.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I emailed support to request a move over the weekend but no reply yet, I'll cool my guns for a bit as there's (clearly) no rush.

Hey, when you care about something...

P.

Last edited by mrpetrov on Mar 24, 2014, 3:58:20 AM
"
Bless you, sir, for your devotion to a cause.

Out of curiosity, would a more fleshed-out, permanent Descent league satisfy you? The big man and I have discussed such at great length.

I think that sounds interesting, although I've embarrassingly never played the Descent league for any material time. It's basically self found isn't it?
While I wouldn't mind the existence of a self-found league or its lack (before a SFL I'd be more interested in making changes to the core game so that there's less emphasis on progression via trading), I genuinely don't understand the argument that a SFL's introduction would fracture leagues and hurt the game in the long run.

Ideally the SFL would be consistently played by those who don't prefer to participate in the economy anyway, minimizing its effect on the existing league economies. However, if the introduction of SFL leads to player migrations such that even players who trade start playing in the SFL (outside the scope of its novelty value) then I would view that a symptom of flawed game design rather than an issue with introducing a new league -- it would mean that trading is not at all compelling as a mini-game and viewed (by those who migrate) as a necessary evil that would rather be avoided, but isn't because self-found play isn't particularly rewarding as a progression path.

For the record, I'm a solo, self-found player (except for uniques) and I approve of GGG's recent help towards self-found such as the weapon vendor recipes (though they can be somewhat more extensive), strongboxes, and the existence of less gear-dependent builds (such as SB, various caster builds etc.).

EDIT: I should say that I do think the existence of a SFL would be a net positive -- I believe the lack of rewarding self-found play is one of the reasons why PoE slowly bleeds away players. I feel there's a non-trivial amount of players that a SFL can and will capture.
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
Last edited by ephetat on Mar 24, 2014, 4:12:58 AM
I would be happy about a league where "how hard can you click on PoeXyz" doesn´t matter

Removed Forum-linking league (RFL)

Spoiler
Nuff said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
65 people? oh dude, that's just embarrassing.

What's to say, my reaction to the thread was 'oh noes, not another one about that lost cause', but then it was 'ah, what the hell'.

- people are aware of the futility, knowing GGG stance on the subject
- they already said everything there is to say about it, petitioned and voted multiple times
- some left
- it was weekend, people tend to play more than skulk on forum
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 24, 2014, 4:21:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info