[0.11.0] Aimlessgun's Cold Caster Guide [Now with RF/PA section] Videos! [

I'm running a build similar to this on my level 60 shadow currently. I'm using two bear traps with increased crit damage and more dex however, instead of going all-out cold damage (with ice spear). I still have a 4-link with faster project/faster casting/GMP/FP. I have found GMP to be MUCH more effective if you can sustain the casting and understand how to control the spread. I was using LMP up until around level 40 or so.

I use eldritch battery and inner force, and run clarity and discipline (only recently got discipline, is not nearly as leveled as it should be).

Upon seeing this thread I did some respecing, notably removing the first three +3% cast nodes at the start of the shadow tree in exchange for making my way towards the witch ES/mana regen nodes. I also respec'd some of my life nodes that I had dipped south for in exchange for more critical chance.

At level 60 I currently have 1100 HP and 730 mana or so with auras on. While that may seem very glass-cannon, the amazing part about this build is that I VERY rarely get hit even once. Using two quicksilvers of adrenaline, I can kite around mobs in circles very quickly while optimizing FP+GMP efficiency. I run a single mana flask for the rare cases when I'm outspamming my regen, but I'd rather have three quicksilvers.

Any thoughts on this at all? Am I doing anything notably incorrect here? I'm sure there are obvious improvements but I'm blind to them. Still very new to this.

"
rossbart wrote:
I'm running a build similar to this on my level 60 shadow currently. I'm using two bear traps with increased crit damage and more dex however, instead of going all-out cold damage (with ice spear). I still have a 4-link with faster project/faster casting/GMP/FP. I have found GMP to be MUCH more effective if you can sustain the casting and understand how to control the spread. I was using LMP up until around level 40 or so.

Bear traps, interesting. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

With GMP, regardless of where I click on my screen, it is impossible to get all 5 projectiles to overlap at anything but close range. It does cover a lot more area though, which in certain situations is amazing.
Just wanted to say that I really like your guide. You explained everything really clearly and covered almost anything one could ask.

Well done, should help out a lot of people who want to do the shattering partey thing ^^
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
rossbart wrote:

Bear traps, interesting. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

With GMP, regardless of where I click on my screen, it is impossible to get all 5 projectiles to overlap at anything but close range. It does cover a lot more area though, which in certain situations is amazing.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Now I'm torn between LMP and GMP after watching your gameplay video. It seems like with LMP you are able to pretty much snipe mobs from afar, something you can't do with gmp due to the cone like you stated. I think that the survivability actually might be more worth the slight dps advantage from GMP at close ranges...

It just seems like it's pretty much impossible for you to get hit using LMP at the near-max range if you know how to handle certain dangerous mobs (like you pointed out in the video).
Hmm, maybe I will try ur build (I looking for nice caster, not damn double totems or other...nevermind). Im newbie and I hope this build will have nice end-game dps/survi (I hope I will be able to solo merci like you), but I think I will start as a Witch. Then I will save Lord Of the Dead sp (or this is very important skill) and put this sp into Amplify (its a good idea? 12% more AoE Effect and 8% dmg sounds good). In other way, Shadow quests give Faster Projectiles and LMP so I must think about that.

Thanks for this build and for reply.
Good guide, very similar to what I'm running, accept I'm going for more defense and not worry about crit too much, I also use bear trap instead of ice spear, but I'm sure I'll be using more of ice spear when the time comes to do maps.
Just started lvling this Bear Trap to see what all the fuss is about :D

"
DamianTaps wrote:
Hmm, maybe I will try ur build (I looking for nice caster, not damn double totems or other...nevermind). Im newbie and I hope this build will have nice end-game dps/survi (I hope I will be able to solo merci like you), but I think I will start as a Witch. Then I will save Lord Of the Dead sp (or this is very important skill) and put this sp into Amplify (its a good idea? 12% more AoE Effect and 8% dmg sounds good). In other way, Shadow quests give Faster Projectiles and LMP so I must think about that.

Thanks for this build and for reply.

Lord of the Dead is actually pretty good for soloing, you will appreciate the skeltons and zombie.

Increase AoE does not work on Freezing Pulse :(
One more question.

I was using this mara build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072

And if I understand, I must be ready for
-harder early game
-lower resists=won`t be that easy
-higher late game dps and more fun because this build is strong but not easy mode
-good late game farming
-probably won`t be nerfed

And what about stats. When stop leveling gems (or have enough dex/int won`t be a problem).

PS
I will start as Witch, but I don`t know, rush as fast as I can to Shadow tree or add some cold nodes in the beginning (Frost Walker and +18% cold dmg).
Last edited by DamianTaps on Jan 31, 2013, 7:10:55 PM
I have a pretty similar build at level 56. I may respec a bit based on your nice guide, but I have a question about DPS. You say your FP has a 5400 dps tooltip, while mine is only at 900. I am lacking the templar side of the DPS talents, and my gear is pretty bad (4 link at least), but is 900 DPS for my FP bad for level 56? And if you have time, it would be nice if you could show your gear, so I could understand how that is possible.
I think he have 5400 dps, but he calculated this dps. For example, I don`t know, but I think game don`t sum dps from all projectiles (LMP), so probably he have 1800 dps(x3). If im wrong, correct me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info