[0.11.0] Aimlessgun's Cold Caster Guide [Now with RF/PA section] Videos! [

The_Dude, 900 tooltip dps at 56 sounds fine. Your DPS will scale up by leaps and bounds as you gear up and get ready to go into maps.

My tooltip is 5400 atm (though if I dumped some defensive gear I could hit 7k tooltip), so its 16.2k effective DPS, but assume that at medium range maybe only 50-75% of the dmg is being dealt.

"
DamianTaps wrote:
One more question.

I was using this mara build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072

And if I understand, I must be ready for
-harder early game
-lower resists=won`t be that easy
-higher late game dps and more fun because this build is strong but not easy mode
-good late game farming
-probably won`t be nerfed

And what about stats. When stop leveling gems (or have enough dex/int won`t be a problem).

PS
I will start as Witch, but I don`t know, rush as fast as I can to Shadow tree or add some cold nodes in the beginning (Frost Walker and +18% cold dmg).

Yes slightly harder early game but IMO definitely stronger lategame.

The only gem you'd ever not level is Clarity, if it is eating your whole mana pool. Getting the cold dmg in witch before going to shadow is fine. They are good DPS passives.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Jan 31, 2013, 10:42:06 PM
So I'm running a variation of this build with some more defensive nodes taken, but still the same idea. I just hit Merciless, but I have a bit of the problem.

Even with extra defenses, I die somewhat often. Not often enough to frustrate me, but often enough that I've started to fall behind in level. I just entered Merciless but I'm only lvl 47. My DPS in merciless is still really good. I'm running a Skelly totem for rares, Ice Spear + Faster Cast & Crit Dmg and FP + LMP & FC. Mainly I'm lacking resistances in my gear, and the Merciless penalty is really harsh on a build that doesn't pick up any resistances from the tree.

My question is, what do you think I should do? Should I go back to Cruel and farm the Docks or something similar in Act 3 until my level matches Merciless more closely? Or should I go onward into Merciless until I get to a good farming spot like the Ledge or the Cove? I can still kill stuff easily in non-sidequest areas, I just have to play it a little safer because I'm so squishy right now.
Most Freezing Pulse builds I've seen include Frostwall, since Freezing Pulse goes through it. Do you have a special reason for not including Frostwall, or is it just personal preference?
Truly awesome Thank-you
IGN KiiLoGraM
Is this build viable for HC?
Thanks for response. And I have next newbie question(s).

1) In this build we have +160% hp, after modifications we can have +180% ES instead of HP (dps decrease is low). How much +%ES I should have to have similar survi?

2) About resists. How to play Merciless in the future (especially act 3), we have low resists and very low chaos res, so I will have to put Totem with IS+L/GMP every meter in front of me to freeze mobs first?

PS
Game says u have 7k dps or you calculated that including crits?
Last edited by DamianTaps on Feb 1, 2013, 12:41:46 PM
Can you post a screenshot of your damage and armor screens? I'm just curious as to what it looks like. Most shadows I know go for IR but you've completely avoided that route since you rely more on spell rather than claws I guess.
"
Riale wrote:
So I'm running a variation of this build with some more defensive nodes taken, but still the same idea. I just hit Merciless, but I have a bit of the problem.

Even with extra defenses, I die somewhat often. Not often enough to frustrate me, but often enough that I've started to fall behind in level. I just entered Merciless but I'm only lvl 47. My DPS in merciless is still really good. I'm running a Skelly totem for rares, Ice Spear + Faster Cast & Crit Dmg and FP + LMP & FC. Mainly I'm lacking resistances in my gear, and the Merciless penalty is really harsh on a build that doesn't pick up any resistances from the tree.

My question is, what do you think I should do? Should I go back to Cruel and farm the Docks or something similar in Act 3 until my level matches Merciless more closely? Or should I go onward into Merciless until I get to a good farming spot like the Ledge or the Cove? I can still kill stuff easily in non-sidequest areas, I just have to play it a little safer because I'm so squishy right now.

I'd say rush to Ledge as fast as you can and farm that until at least 52 or something. The totem boss is the only thing that really punishes bad resists. With luck you can upgrade your gear there too.

"
Voidsurge wrote:
Most Freezing Pulse builds I've seen include Frostwall, since Freezing Pulse goes through it. Do you have a special reason for not including Frostwall, or is it just personal preference?

Preference mostly I think. I find it tedious to summon it constantly, and skelly totem/zombies seem to get the job done well enough.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Feb 1, 2013, 7:04:57 PM
"
ppaul1 wrote:
Is this build viable for HC?

If you outlevel content, keep your gear up to date, and level in a party, maybe. Solo, no, you'd want to drop DPS for more HP, at least +50% more HP if not more.

"
DamianTaps wrote:
Thanks for response. And I have next newbie question(s).

1) In this build we have +160% hp, after modifications we can have +180% ES instead of HP (dps decrease is low). How much +%ES I should have to have similar survi?

2) About resists. How to play Merciless in the future (especially act 3), we have low resists and very low chaos res, so I will have to put Totem with IS+L/GMP every meter in front of me to freeze mobs first?

PS
Game says u have 7k dps or you calculated that including crits?

1) Going into maps, unless you have twink gear lined up, you might have around 900 base ES including Discipline. +180% ES, then 50% from INT, gives you about 3k ES. If you dropped HP and HP nodes to get this, you could easily have less than 1k HP. I think this makes your defenses worse overall because you will be extremely vulnerable to chaos damage. I wouldn't do it unless you take the chaos resist node and get good chaos resist on gear.

2)I have mostly had capped or near capped resists while running maps, which are entirely possible to gain from gear. However going through Merc A3 it's true your gear will probably not have you at capped resists yet, and some zones are just going to be difficult.

Chaos resist isn't as important as long as you understand what enemies do chaos damage and watch out for them.

On DPS, the game calculates crit also.

I asked about ES, because I don`t know why all don`t like CI now. We will have higher resists, similar effective HP (or a little less) and chaos resist. So why HP>ES? Potions? I`m seriously don`t know, tell me why if you can.

And Life Gain on Hit will work with FP?
Last edited by DamianTaps on Feb 1, 2013, 8:05:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info