[0.11.0] Aimlessgun's Cold Caster Guide [Now with RF/PA section] Videos! [

Got another noob question. Does regular crit chance affect spells? or do we need spell crit chance?
Great guide, im looking to do a build like this, but i have been wondering what the viablity of a build like this is in pvp? Seems like anyone can easily stack cold resists or freeze immunities if needed
Crit chance is crit chance as long as it isn't physical or melee specific crit it will work.
Second you can do chain/fork on ice spear but it needs to go past the range where it pierce so it's better not to =)
Yes that's true, you can do Chain/Fork on Ice Spear if you make sure to only attack at long range, but if you want to get AoE out of Ice Spear LMP/GMP is more reliable. In this build Ice Spear's role is single target DPS/boss freezing in any case.

"
daiguitarist wrote:
Great guide, im looking to do a build like this, but i have been wondering what the viablity of a build like this is in pvp? Seems like anyone can easily stack cold resists or freeze immunities if needed

I assume every serious PvPer will carry Freeze Immunity to swap on, and probably cap their resists to everything until they know for sure their opponent is a physical DPSer.

The build has advantages of huge DPS, constant chilling, ability to hit hard at all ranges, and Whirling Blades as a decent escape skill, so it should do OK but I don't see it as an ultra-serious PvP build without some tweaks. I'll have to try some PvP with it before I try to say much more though, when I last played a cold caster in Closed Beta, PvP didn't exist yet :)
Last edited by aimlessgun on Jan 30, 2013, 9:16:45 PM
Hey, I'm trying this build out but died to Merveil in HC....probably due to slight lag, but the cold spells don't work well at all. Should I be grabbing Cold Resist Rings + use other spells for this specific encounter?
Ah normal Merveil...she is truly a pain in the ass.

You can do it with cold spells/wanding, but it is slow and can take several portal scrolls. Definitely get cold resist rings.

You can try something crazy like stashing Burning Arrow from a lvl 1 ranger and using a bow, since the build should have 3 projectile damage nodes and 3 elemental damage nodes by that point, but it's not something I've personally attempted :p
Last edited by aimlessgun on Jan 30, 2013, 10:21:45 PM
thanks for posting this. I am running a similar build on my witch
so give me your honest opinion, is this build heavily gear dependent? I know you are #1 on ladder because you are probably in a group. so what im asking is, is this build viable for soloer that has no group of people to play it.
"
forzazx6 wrote:
so give me your honest opinion, is this build heavily gear dependent? I know you are #1 on ladder because you are probably in a group. so what im asking is, is this build viable for soloer that has no group of people to play it.

As a spell build, it is not heavily gear dependent (relative to other builds, of course, since all builds in an ARPG are gear dependant :p ). It doesn't even require a specific armor type or weapon type, just some spell stats on a dagger or wand and HP/resists on armor with some mana and regen if you can get it.

Yes, it's a very good solo build (IMO). Grouping will always be easier, but for example I ground my Merc Ledge, Felshrine and City of Sarn levels solo and in the case of CoS kept the same XP rate as a group of people who are also top20 on the ladder. Some of my map levels were solo, and most were with smaller (2-3 person) groups, one member of which is my buddy who never played PoE before OB, copied my build because he didn't know what to play, and as of this writing is the only other Shadow in the top20.

I did go through the story/bosses almost entirely in a 3 man group, but from playing this character type in CB and alpha I'm confident it can handle all that content just fine (disclaimer: I make no claims about hardcore for this specific passive setup).

Last edited by aimlessgun on Jan 31, 2013, 1:21:48 AM
Made and added a map run recording real quick to give an idea of gameplay.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info