The Plan for Cut-Throat Mode

oh wow... GGG i luv you, this mode gonna be REAL EPIC.
"
Kryzle wrote:
I would love to see a cut throat league in which you cant progress farther than the first difficulty and that lasts for a few days or one week.

Might also be fun to put a chest in the a3 pvp area (infinity ppl can join) that drops items every hour and you can enter the area as a party defending the chest king of the hill style. I'm thinking about a flag you have to tap and when the time runs out the party that tapped it gets the loot.

I agree with dropping only 1-2 items from your gear on death sounds reasonable but i somehow dislike the softcore idea. maybe you should go to town after being pked and go to standard after being killed by monsters.

u know about monster train. I was a lineage2 player 10 years ago :)

if theres no invasion possible by other players, that could be good by the way.
Amazing that you guys can make an idiotic mode like Cuthroat.... Yet can't make a Self Found league.

But I guess that goes in line with some of this company's oddball priorities, and probably why we still have rampant desync and horrible optimization but it's okay cause we have buttloads of "new stuff" that is semi-broken, optimized like crap, and desyncs like hell.
Last edited by StinkFinger on Mar 12, 2014, 10:58:24 AM
Yaay! Cut-throat.

I'd like it without all protection against griefing, it would be cool if there were some sort of 'safe spots' that you can run, as the coward you are, not direct immunity against griefers. Like shrines of protection or something...
"
Preventing players from forming parties helps solve the roaming-death-squad problem while also opening up some awesome friendly fire situations. You have to really trust your friends if they could take advantage of your low health by firing a few well-placed fireballs and taking your gear.

I hope that means they will be solo leagues
"
StinkFinger wrote:
Amazing that you guys can make an idiotic mode like Cuthroat.... Yet can't make a Self Found league.

But I guess that goes in line with some of this company's oddball priorities, and probably why we still have rampant desync and horrible optimization but it's okay cause we have buttloads of "new stuff" that is semi-broken, optimized like crap, and desyncs like hell.

please buy a new computer, and fix you lag ;) theres no desync at all.

and Cuthroat mode is an awesome project !
the cut throat mode is what got me interested in poe, glad to see its finally getting worked on.
"
SeabeeO wrote:
I like, and therefore only play, co-op games. I like helping others and having others help me.

[rant] There are no hard feelings, no "I'm out for revenge," no "want's in it for me" when folks work together toward a common goal. When I'm in group, I don't grab up gear just to grab it. I don't want to steal gear anyone's gear just for spite or, for, that matter, any other reason. And I don't have the childish need to kill off other players just so I can feel good about myself. My self-worth comes from a completely different source. And because it comes from a completely different source, I can pass up gear. That is, if I don't need a piece of gear that drops and that is better off in the hands of another character class, I leave it alone and if I'm in a permanent allocation party, I will give it to that player. Folks who like to grab up gear just to grab it can play with a bunch 10 years old because that's what they are acting like. [/rant]

and what do you do in act 2 when you can't coop with all bandits?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I played a text based MMO for a long while called Dark Castle which had very few rules. And what few rules existed were mostly hardcoded into the game:

For just simple annoying PKills (whose only drawback was that you had to slowly regen back your life/mana) the instigator of the fight was given a flag which disallowed them the protective safety of Safe_Rooms. This allowed for allies of the fallen to exact revenge.

For Player_Stealing, a thief could steal as many items from the inventory of their victims as they wished (an alert player would notice that their stuff is missing and could attack the pthief right away usually), but only one equiped item. But in doing so they were flagged a P_Thief for like 15 minutes, and each steal attempt took a bit of time in order to prevent one from robbing an inventory instantaneously. P_Thieves were not given the protective safety of Safe_Rooms, but also were unable to drop or transfer items until the flag expired. If a P_Thief were to be killed they would drop ALL their items. Thus this allowed a victim some time to hunt down and retrieve their stolen items.

There was also the concept of Real_Killing other players by dragging a powerful mob into the path of your enemy, or attack your enemy while he is already engaged in battle with a powerful monster. When ever a player is killed by a monster, the players loot is dropped to the ground thus often setting up 'corpse retrieval' were a naked character would attempt to run into dangerous zones in order to get his gear back.

There were also spells in the game which allowed players to locate where other players were located. So when targeting a specific mark you could easily find their location.

It was a solid system. But many mechanics do not easily cross the barrier from mmorpg to arpg. Might i suggest that a player killed by another player simply generate a corpse that only one person can click and acquire a single item of their choice through a new UI panel similar to trade, the victim could receive the rest when they res back in town. And a player killed by a mob drop a freely exploitable corpse which any player can rob blind.
I also suggest that someone who joins another persons instance( or kills another character) be given a flag that disallows them from traveling back to town for a while. This way a player can seek revenge in order to get their item back. When under the effects of this, a character should remain in a zone even if their client disconnects.
This system in my eyes would be better than current cutthroat. It isnt so devastating to get pkilled, but still opens up the possibility of losing everything if you arent careful about running into another players death trap of several dangerous rares led into a pile.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
If only Some equipment is dropped after dying Then the remainder of equipment should be corrupted.

Mark of the Defeated.
---

does this mean there's hope for a SFL too?
Pacific (GMT -8) Time

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info