Things to improve in the Sarn Arena

"
yardiegamer wrote:

It would also be cool if killing players granted you exp...

God no! Please!

Can't think of a quicker way to empty the arena out!

(Reason: LLD players use the arena, they simply cannot level past 28, If you gained XP none would go there)
"
I don't like the refill suggestion, neither do I like people running around refilling. A good pvper should not rely on pots, I mean you should know when to use what pot, right? I know some builds, crit in particular that spams their 1use diamond flask and atziri's promise and then after a death/kill they refill their pots, that's not real pvp is it?

Well what you're suggesting would make sense and have value if there was some sort of kill count in the arena, i.e. an incentive to stay instead of re-entering all the time. I get the honor argument, but FFA is more of a bar room brawl than a proper duel IMO, so anything goes!
I like the pot refiling idea - even at 50% refill it would still be good.
Either that or make pots refill with kills a lot more effectively than in PVE. I am talking kill one player refill one pot fully.

I would also like to see some medals (or whatever they are called) for (example):

killing 5 players consecutively without dying - could be called "on a roll"

killing 3 players in 5s or less - could be called "rampage"

killing 5 or more players without dealing direct dmg (totems, traps, minions) - could be called "clever"

etc...

you would see the medals as u kill like q3 style (impressive, excellent..)
while the other players would see them like they see who killed who in the chat window.

It would also be cool if there was an overall history of players medals.

I would also like to see rounds that last 5 min or so (or after someone achieves a defined number of kills - 20 or so), after each round 1 min cooldown before the new round starts. Round starts when at least 2 players are in the arena. After each round u see the kill/death ratio and perhaps even more stats.

items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
"
missuse wrote:
Either that or make pots refill with kills a lot more effectively than in PVE. I am talking kill one player refill one pot fully.

I would also like to see some medals (or whatever they are called) for (example):

killing 5 or more players without dealing direct dmg (totems, traps, minions) - could be called "clever"

etc...

while the other players would see them like they see who killed who in the chat window.

I would also like to see rounds that last 5 min or so (or after someone achieves a defined number of kills - 20 or so), after each round 1 min cooldown before the new round starts. Round starts when at least 2 players are in the arena. After each round u see the kill/death ratio and perhaps even more stats.

medals would be a great idea. Try to kill as many players before dying and having the classic arena voice announce it. Would make Sarna arena even more entertaining!
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
I seem to have put this in the wrong thread my god
Last edited by AleronDescends on Jul 4, 2014, 5:41:12 AM
"
missuse wrote:

etc...

Those medal rewards sound like a great idea. Having rounds where someone spends the most time on the raised middle area also could work.
IGN: _Firebitch
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Jul 4, 2014, 8:23:15 AM
^ great idea, I have had the same idea in the past, like king of the hill!
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
"
Seriously with the PvP queues crashing and people being kicked offline and not being able to regroup it makes the arena hard to organize.

I realize it's been a while since this post, but is this still a problem for you guys? (I'm assuming these are NOT client crashes, but server crashes.)

Edit: Flask refill on death for FFA is probably a good idea.
Code warrior
Last edited by Rhys on Jul 5, 2014, 10:40:58 PM
"
Rhys wrote:
"
Seriously with the PvP queues crashing and people being kicked offline and not being able to regroup it makes the arena hard to organize.

I realize it's been a while since this post, but is this still a problem for you guys? (I'm assuming these are NOT client crashes, but server crashes.)

Edit: Flask refill on death for FFA is probably a good idea.

I've never experienced a crash during queue or anything described there, not lately anyway.

However the difficulty of organizing these matches is still there. Mainly because Europeans and Americans are dumped into two different instances even when partied. Furthermore, the queue system is based on who is in your town. If it was at least based on your gateway, we would have an easier time. Lastly; if we want to randomize the teams, we usually go all in the same instance (which is a pain) and then queue up. The issue is that when the match is over, everyone gets thrown in random places and setting it all up again is a pain especially when parties are limited to 6 but teams can be 4v4/5v5/6v6 (8/10/12 players). The obvious solution to the above problems is this:
Choose a gateway (perhaps the gateway which matches that of the most players in the arena) and choose a random instance (preferably a brand new one) and dump all players without exception into that town.
IGN: @GreenDude
"
GreenDude wrote:
I've never experienced a crash during queue or anything described there, not lately anyway.

OK, good. Just checking. There haven't really been any crash dumps generated that look related to PvP queues, but I just wanted to make sure.

"
GreenDude wrote:
However the difficulty of organizing these matches is still there. Mainly because Europeans and Americans are dumped into two different instances even when partied. Furthermore, the queue system is based on who is in your town. If it was at least based on your gateway, we would have an easier time. Lastly; if we want to randomize the teams, we usually go all in the same instance (which is a pain) and then queue up. The issue is that when the match is over, everyone gets thrown in random places and setting it all up again is a pain especially when parties are limited to 6 but teams can be 4v4/5v5/6v6 (8/10/12 players).

Well, at the end of PvP, portals are opened which send everyone "home" to their naturally preferred town, which is the optimal way to go for people who want to go back to the main game. Unfortunately, this is not ideal for people who want a rematch.

The easiest solution I can think of would be to have a /rematch command that you can use after a PvP match ends to restart it, and maybe also a /random_rematch which would also shuffle the teams around.

There might be problems with too many objects (minion corpses, old spell effects etc.) lying around but I think we can apply the cleanup trick we use in FFA to manage things.

Since some people may genuinely want to leave, the /rematch command would in essence need to be a vote, and so only once everyone has voted can the rematch begin. If at least half the votes are for a /random_rematch, the teams can get shuffled also.

Perhaps a /swap_rematch would be useful to swap the teams around, in the case the map is not mirrored?

What do yo guys think?
Code warrior

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info