Things to improve in the Sarn Arena

"
Seriously with the PvP queues crashing and people being kicked offline and not being able to regroup it makes the arena hard to organize.

I realize it's been a while since this post, but is this still a problem for you guys? (I'm assuming these are NOT client crashes, but server crashes.)

Edit: Flask refill on death for FFA is probably a good idea.
Code warrior
Last edited by Rhys on Jul 5, 2014, 10:40:58 PM
"
GreenDude wrote:
I've never experienced a crash during queue or anything described there, not lately anyway.

OK, good. Just checking. There haven't really been any crash dumps generated that look related to PvP queues, but I just wanted to make sure.

"
GreenDude wrote:
However the difficulty of organizing these matches is still there. Mainly because Europeans and Americans are dumped into two different instances even when partied. Furthermore, the queue system is based on who is in your town. If it was at least based on your gateway, we would have an easier time. Lastly; if we want to randomize the teams, we usually go all in the same instance (which is a pain) and then queue up. The issue is that when the match is over, everyone gets thrown in random places and setting it all up again is a pain especially when parties are limited to 6 but teams can be 4v4/5v5/6v6 (8/10/12 players).

Well, at the end of PvP, portals are opened which send everyone "home" to their naturally preferred town, which is the optimal way to go for people who want to go back to the main game. Unfortunately, this is not ideal for people who want a rematch.

The easiest solution I can think of would be to have a /rematch command that you can use after a PvP match ends to restart it, and maybe also a /random_rematch which would also shuffle the teams around.

There might be problems with too many objects (minion corpses, old spell effects etc.) lying around but I think we can apply the cleanup trick we use in FFA to manage things.

Since some people may genuinely want to leave, the /rematch command would in essence need to be a vote, and so only once everyone has voted can the rematch begin. If at least half the votes are for a /random_rematch, the teams can get shuffled also.

Perhaps a /swap_rematch would be useful to swap the teams around, in the case the map is not mirrored?

What do yo guys think?
Code warrior
"
the rematch feature would be used all the time.

I know it isn't ideal, but it's a step in the right direction. Also, do you think /rematch should shuffle teams by default, rather than keeping them exactly the same?

"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
Sarn Arena needs to be moved to a different location.

Yeah, it isn't great where it is currently. Unfortunately, changing it requires a a lot of work (from the artists, mostly). I'm kinda doubtful anything will happen to fix it... :(

"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
it would also be cool for your kills and deaths in Sarn Arena and also separately for matchmaking are recorded somewhere on your profile on the forums.

Yeah, that's a good idea. There's a lot we could do for more PvP features. Not sure what the plan is, though.

However, for 1.2.0 at least I'm trying to add the ability to type /ladder in FFA, which gives you a list of the top killers in that instance with their K/D ratios. Again, just a step in the right direction (fingers crossed). Still debating what - if any - messages should be sent to players regarding this.
Code warrior
"
Why would you not talk to us about what you're doing? If you tell us what features you're working on, we could give you feedback

Um... I just told you exactly what I'm working on, in terms of PvP. And I was actually fishing for feedback, but apparently was too subtle.

So I was thinking of alerting players to changes in their position in the ladder, if they're in the top 10 (by sending a chat message). I was also trying to think of some global messages that would be appropriate, but I'm not sure on that one. What do you think?

"
TheEnforcer wrote:
as for changing sarn arena's entrance, couldn't you just place a portal near the waypoint that takes you to it?

True, but it would be unintuitive and cause confusion (since that's where player portals normally go).
Code warrior

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info