[2.2] Arly's Lightning Arrow - Elemental Pathfinder

"
teketoria wrote:
I've been thinking about this build for some time as I really like the chaos dmg / reflect immunity idea. This is my first league that I'm actually playing and I've gone through with a couple chars 80+ to see what they're like and realized that reflect is a big deal in mapping. Which I like to do and finally be able to do on PHC.

Few days ago I finally invested in a 5l Voltaxic and also have a 5l coil to go with it, and also got some other useful items in stash (like the frenzy boots). Started a new ranger because I don't wanna give up my crit tornado one because she's so cool haha

Ok, that's a lot of introduction, sorry about it... here is my question:
Do I really need to do the crit path for this build? There are a LOT of chaos and elemental damage nodes in that area and I can easily get +201% chaos dmg before lvl70, and add +55% lightning dmg and a 86% of +elemental dmg nodes at end game. That's with a lot of defensive nodes included.
Example tree at 71:

Example tree at end game, with all available jewel slots, and frenzy charges and added elemental dmg nodes:

I could of course go the crit route as I did with TS ranger, but it feels like there is a lot of dmg potential though elemental... so am I wrong in assuming this? Main reason is that this way I could focus on fully defensive gear (since I don't need crit/multiplier) and just get %elemental on gear which is cheaper too.

One other question about ascendancy: I'll choose Deadeye as it seems best, but cannot decide whether the +1 chain or the +1 arrow is the better for this build. I know I could get a +1 arrow quiver and go with the chain but those quivers tend to be pricey.

Crit is Optimal and in combination with diamond flasks is too strong to pass up. you can certainly experiment with a non crit bow build if you wish though.

Deadeye with +1 chain is a great alternative and amazing for aoe clears and does not require active flasking.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Crit is key for a pathfinder. We have a decent surgeon option on our Ascendancy tree and we can't pass it.

Having a nice geared crit chance (around 50%) allows for 70-75% crit chance with Diamond Flask up. So we can sustain flask uptime and keep it near to 100%.

EDIT: a lot of people are claiming the superiority of the Deadeye archer, I just don't agree. Pathfinder has amazing clear times and single target against bosses is simply overpowered with the free poison we get from Master Herbalist. Blast rain becomes a real "7 link" and with Faster Attacks or Increased Critical chance the damage is insane.
Last edited by djnat on May 13, 2016, 4:09:49 PM
Thank you both for the reply. It seems crit it is then. Revised my planned tree and actually I can get crit nodes and lots of chaos damage too with keeping up survivability. In the end it'll have +145% chaos and +54% lightning damage with +150% crit and +200% crit with bows as well.

I've looked at master surgeon and master herbalist as well, it looks very good. But deadeye also has poison (+bleed) while giving more crit/multi as well and has chain, so I think I'll stick with it.

This the tree I'll aim for in the end game:
Deadeye's poison is super weak when compared to Pathfinder's one.

With Deadeye you have a small chance to poison, with Pathfinder you always poison, with a better poison damage and duration.

If you are not planning to abuse the lightning arrow + pierce + frost wall + far shot combo, which is the thing Deadeye really excels at, I'd suggest thinking more about your final ascendancy choice.

The bleeding damage you could do is very weak, because it is based only on your physical damage dealt, which is quite low when using Voltaxic Rift.

As to your planned tree, I don't like the fact you skip Arrow Dancing (it's too good to have for a single point cost, especially in higher tier maps). Plus, the Revenge of the hunted cluster is too inefficient, because it costs 5 additional talent points when compared to a direct pathing from Ballistic Mastery upwards, and with those 5 points you could take, for example, Arrow Dancing + the jewel socket left of Vaal pact + the two very strong projectile nodes at the second ranger start (or an additional Frenzy charge, or Sniper).

Last thing is the Atrophy Choice. To get there, you spend 15 points in total (5 in the big wheel, 4 in the Written in Blood cluster, 3 for Arcing blows and 3x 10 int nodes). The total benefit you get is:

- 54% lightning damage
- 71% chaos damage
- 8% chaos resistance
- 20% max life
- 30 int
- 10 strength.

With the same amount of talent points spent, you can get:

- 2 additional jewel sockets
- 15% attack speed
- 14% max life
- 20 life on kill
- 40 dex
- 75% crit chance
- 12% crit multi
- 5% movement speed

if you path in the Harrier direction and take the 2 jewel sockets + the hired killer and true strike clusters, or

- 1 additional jewel socket
- 86% projectile damage
- 4% attack speed
- 56% physical damage
- 56% chaos damage
- 12 max life
- 10% proj speed
- 20% crit chance
- 10 dex

if you take all the starting shadow + ranger nodes, plus the single point you missed in the Lethality cluster, plus Sniper and the jewel socket left to Vaal Pact.

Keep in mind that lightning damage does not double dip on the poison output, while chaos and projectile damage do.

Given these numbers, it's a matter of preference. Your choice gives some decent life and damage output, the first alternative gives the max potential life, crit, crit multi, attack speed and very good damage if you get good jewels, the second alternative gives the less life but the most damage and double dipping potential.
Awesome information djnat, thank you very much.

I'll check all your suggestions and plan ahead with it.

Edit:
Let me know if you think I got it right now, but I think this will be a reasonable tree at 93. From then on, if I ever make it that high, there is the option for 2 more frenzy charges for 4 points or getting the +56% chaos nodes at shadow for 5 points.

The thing is I never thought Arrow Dancing was that good... what put me off is the %20 less chance to evade melee.

For ascendancy you'd suggest getting Herbalist at normal and get the Master surgeon nodes on cruel/merc?

Last edited by PhazerSC on May 16, 2016, 2:09:56 PM
"
teketoria wrote:
Awesome information djnat, thank you very much.

I'll check all your suggestions and plan ahead with it.

Edit:
Let me know if you think I got it right now, but I think this will be a reasonable tree at 93. From then on, if I ever make it that high, there is the option for 2 more frenzy charges for 4 points or getting the +56% chaos nodes at shadow for 5 points.

The thing is I never thought Arrow Dancing was that good... what put me off is the %20 less chance to evade melee.

For ascendancy you'd suggest getting Herbalist at normal and get the Master surgeon nodes on cruel/merc?

The lvl 93 tree you posted is very good and efficient.

Arrow dancing can be a lifesaver at higher levels. You are an archer, so it's supposed you are quite squishy and never want to have anything in melee range.

I leveled my Pathfinder Archer (4.5k life) in Perandus with zero deaths from 90 to 96. Arrow dancing helps a lot especially when it comes to porcupines, tentacle miscreations or chimerals.

I'd suggest getting Nature's Adrenaline as soon as possible (normal lab). Then Master herbalist (poison is insane if you use Voltaxic, because your damage is physical + chaos... if you don't use a Voltaxic, which requires lvl 64, your poison scaling is very bad in comparison because your damage is split between physical and elemental, so in the end I think that the optimal time to get Master herbalist is after completing cruel labyrinth) and Master Surgeon later (merciless lab), because its scaling is good with a strong gear (70%+ crit chance with diamond flask active, coupled with a very high attack speed).
Last edited by djnat on May 16, 2016, 5:39:54 PM
Hey Neph/everyone,

Finally got lucky with some currency so I was able to upgrade some pieces.

Could you give me some insight into what I could improve? My nodes are a kind of mix between this build and mathils and I am raider at the moment since I don't have enough regrets to swap yet.

Heres my gear
Spoiler

Thanks mate.
Last edited by Coatesy on May 17, 2016, 11:08:43 AM
The best room for improvements I see in your gear is obviously in links. A 6-link setup makes a huge difference when compared to a 4 or 5 link.

BTW, there are some improvements to be made in gear too:

1. You are currently missing the most important support gem for Blast rain, which is Added Lightning damage. Try to get a 5 link on Voltaxic to solve this issue.

2. Boots. If you plan to stay as a Raider, I highly suggest you use Darkray Vectors.

3. Health. You have a decent improvement margin here: better life on body armour, gloves, belt (a leather belt base is highly advised) can make you gain about 200-250 hp.

4. Amulet. Crit multiplier / flat lightning damage are missing here.

5. Rings. Try to get the second one with both WED and flat lightning damage.
"
djnat wrote:
The best room for improvements I see in your gear is obviously in links. A 6-link setup makes a huge difference when compared to a 4 or 5 link.

BTW, there are some improvements to be made in gear too:

1. You are currently missing the most important support gem for Blast rain, which is Added Lightning damage. Try to get a 5 link on Voltaxic to solve this issue.

2. Boots. If you plan to stay as a Raider, I highly suggest you use Darkray Vectors.

3. Health. You have a decent improvement margin here: better life on body armour, gloves, belt (a leather belt base is highly advised) can make you gain about 200-250 hp.

4. Amulet. Crit multiplier / flat lightning damage are missing here.

5. Rings. Try to get the second one with both WED and flat lightning damage.

Thank you for the reply Djnat.

Im working towards 5 linking the voltaxic at the moment I've nearly got the fusing needed.

Im probbaly going to switch to pathfinder once I get enough regret orbs.
Can anyone comment if this build will still work?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info